Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    I know many won't be hindered by this. It was just strange that they aren't just stopping support for older OS's, the games just won't run anymore. Probably a reason, but just seems harsh.
    There is a reason, they don't want people who don't know their OS is unsupported sending them bug reports of shit not working right and expecting it to be fixed...

This will likely include a simple "this OS is no longer supported, you may not play [game] on this operating system" message when trying to install (or run if already installed), which makes is VERY clear that is is not supported. This will result in no pointless bug report submissions, support forum threads, etc that need to be looked at by blizzard staff and then discarded.

It's a matter of efficiency, and this is efficient.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    in Windows, Notepad will crash miserably with a 5GB log file.
    gEdit (or whatever is used today) is also unable to open 5GB files. Tools like Perl or Python do that fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    gEdit (or whatever is used today)
    I've never seen anyone use gedit or similar graphical bullshit.

"Grep" will read the file and filter the data just fine. Every Linux distribution has it. Also, "less" can read it as well. Possibly even "vim".

The day, when Blizzard will abandon Win7, will be my last day in their games.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    The day, when Blizzard will abandon Win7, will be my last day in their games.
    Well after support ends and the usage share drops to pitifully low amounts then yes they will consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Is there any reason you are avoiding the huge memory and HDD performance enhancements from 8 on ?

I think anyone who is stuck on Windows 7 has no right to criticise people stuck on Windows XP
    You wanna know the effective performance gain I got from moving from Win 7 to Win 10? It was absolutely zero, it did also force me to upgrade from Cubase 5 because Win 10 ran it like a complete pile of shit though. I don't mind Win 10, but literally there has been no gain to upgrading, not in everyday use and certainly not in music production which is where Win 10 fucked me over. Win XP was an unsecure mess, Win 7 always was and still is really good, such a silly comparison.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    YI don't mind Win 10, but literally there has been no gain to upgrading
    Exactly. I don't see any reason to update from 7 either.

If Microsoft could think of a feature that could improve my life significantly, I'll upgrade. They just lack imagination to do anything. The virtual desktop feature is something that they copied form Linux, which had it for decades. And they still haven't implemented it in a way that makes sense and is useful.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2017-07-23 at 09:51 AM.

Then why did you mention Notepad?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Upgrade to Windows 10.
    I would hardly call 8 or 10 as "upgrades".

"Grep" will read the file and filter the data just fine. Every Linux distribution has it. Also, "less" can read it as well. Possibly even "vim".
    comparing grep to notepad is like comparing apples to oranges, one is a command line tool the other is a gui app. notepad would be better being compare to gedit or another editor.

Findstr would be a better comparison to grep, yes grep is still faster, but it at least can accomplish most of the same tasks from cmd and comes with the default install of windows.

the powershell also has Select-String.
    Last edited by phriah; 2017-07-23 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Then why did you mention Notepad?
    Because Windows has nothing that can do this in the base OS, and only Notepad even comes close. I have to go find 3rd party software, which may or may not be free, and may or may not be complete bloatware and install other stuff on the PC that I was not warned about. Automating tasks is also difficult. The whole thing is a massive time waste from a productivity standpoint.

As I said, I work way faster and more efficient in Linux.

I have to go find 3rd party software, which may or may not be free, and may or may not be complete bloatware and install other stuff on the PC that I was not warned about.
    No. You install Perl, like in Linux. To do real shellscripting in Linux, you need to install Bash. Telling that grep/awk/Perl in Linux is better than grep/awk/Perl in Windows because the first were preinstalled for you by the computer manufacturer is absurd.

Most users need more from their computers than MS-DOS can do (like in your case).
    Last edited by Tackhisis; 2017-07-23 at 11:31 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about the applications built in the standard Linux distributions.
    What the fuck is a standard linux distribution? You mean someone else's pre-customized package?
    Almost every distribution has tools that are vastly superior than anything Windows can offer.
    That's such a stupid thing to say. Apps are apps. if linux has it - windows has it, if windows doesn't have it - no one needed it on windows. Same for something absent on linux.
    Let's say I want to (1) open a 5GB log file, (2) find a line containing "Exception:12345", then (3) get the exact time and date when the exception appeared, and (4) search all log files in a specific directory for what happened around that time frame, then (5) sort everything in a chronological order, (6) write it to a text file and (7) send a mail with the data to someone. Then (8) automate this so it checks every hour for the exception and do the other steps if the exception in (1) is ever found.

All of the above is done with one line in the Linux terminal, including the creation of an automated task. You can't even do step (1) in Windows, Notepad
    Why would I do this in notepad? I'll do this in powershell or even default command prompt or write a batch file or install a windows version of that linux terminal you are using, wow - CAN YOU IMAGINE?.

Fuck I can do the first part from Explorer. Just input the search text into search field and it will look inside files, no matter how big. Notepad my ass.

If I need to do this often I will create a solution and it will work as fast as whatever magical software you have in your linux.

You (personally) would be very slow in windows command prompt not to mention powershell, that's for sure, and I am not an expert on linux terminal commands, who cares? Just because you are used to linux doesn't mean it's the fastest way to do things.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Windows 8 and 10 are like aids. I don`t need APPS, i want a fucking pictogram i can click on to start my games and programs!

Windows 7 ftw!

The only reason to upgrade from Windows 7 (as long as it is supported) would be to play DirectX 12 games or wanting more than 16 GB RAM (running 7 home premium here).

I don't even know which games require DX12 because besides WoW I only play some games on steam that are old enough to be sold at discount.

Quote Originally Posted by gzeus13 View Post
    DX12 support coming soon confirmed.
    seems more like vulkan as they dont exclude win7

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    The only reason to upgrade from Windows 7 (as long as it is supported) would be to play DirectX 12 games or wanting more than 16 GB RAM (running 7 home premium here).

I don't even know which games require DX12 because besides WoW I only play some games on steam that are old enough to be sold at discount.
    To be honest you don't really need more than 16 for games right now.

Also only one game I know of with DX12 support is Ashes of the Singularity.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you still use xp or vista youre doin somethin terribly wrong
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    if you still use xp or vista youre doin somethin terribly wrong
    Agreed. You want to run outdated Operating Systems then go for it. Just don't come crying when a game dev no longer decides to support it. A lot of devs have stated they won't support Vista or XP anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Windows 10 is fine. "But arr privaciez!!!" lulz you tell that to fucking Google and/or Apple and/or Amazon and/or Facebook and a bunch of others you feed your privacy to.

Google frikkin scans your emails (and you can bet your ass competitors do too) and just recently benevolently mentioned they'll stop doing it, but Microsoft is apparently the source of all evil there.

Those who stick to 7 and less are just dinosaurs who will eventually die out when Microsoft finishes supporting their decrepit systems.