Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Music is objectively better now than it's ever been. But hey, if you're limiting yourself to radio stations that play the same top 20 every single day of the week, that's your prerogative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    What kind of metal do you prefer? Power metal? Check out Sabaton or Dendera. Thrash? Look up Reign of Fury or Hexen. Doom? Okay, I don't really follow doom much but Pallbearer are good. Death? Check out Ouroboros or Psynonemous. Black? Okay, I don't follow black metal at all so I really can't help here, but you get the idea.
    Those are some very weird recs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I was never a really big fan of Pop music and I have never been a 13 year old girl so most pop music isnt targeted towards me.
    Today is Beautiful and so are you, here's to having a wonderful day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    its all shit now..well its been shit for 20 years or so now. but seriously, what happened to the music?
    It's changing like it has been for fucking centuries. And youre fucking old so stop complaining and go listen to your shitty old music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    no innovation my arse. heres another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Oc6fRhyWBQ thats pretty innovative to me and i've listened to my fair share of edm. and if your still not convinced theres this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jKywGmlXno
    You are confusing creativity with innovation.
    Your links, all of them are examples of creativity.
    Innovation requires some level of invention. That isn't there in EDM.
    Listen to older electronic music. Check the catalogs of artists I mentioned. Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Larry Fast's Synergy, Klaus Schulze, Stockhausen, Brian Eno, Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis. Just to name a few.
    Everything you admire in EDM today, you will find in these people's works. Except they've done it for nearly 50 years already.
    Which leads to another thing you said..
    I think older ppl simply can't get over the fact that you can create good music without needing to master an instrument, or that electronic music isn't music JUST BECAUSE someone isn't wielding an instrument
    People know that since the beginnings of Electronic Music. So, for roughly 50ish years..
    The primary instrument used was a keyboard, which was merely programmed already to use loops and licks at the performers disposal.
    Is it possible that you just simply never bothered with the history of the music you're listening to?
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    I'd like a a source of randomly selected but auto tune free music.

no I'm just pointing out that most ppl (over 45) will hand wave techno away simply because to them it sounds like a bunch of instruments being thrown down a flight of stairs, edm, innovation is intrinsically linked to creativity i think, new sub genres of music are innovations on old creativity.

edm has plenty of sub-genres and therefore plenty of creativity and innovation.

for example there is a massive difference between the tracks i linked and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAS8kzMF_9I

and a big difference between that and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5oLZUDnBhM

what it comes down to for me is the rhythm, i like soft bass tunes i like hard distorted tunes, fast tunes slow tunes, i don't care much for pop music like i can't get into tay tay, shes shite.

there is an ocean of differences in edm like a vast difference between sub genres. but even i have my limit. i think i have a knack for finding tracks with catchy rhythm upbeat tempos and enjoyable melodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The primary instrument used was a keyboard, which was merely programmed already to use loops and licks at the performers disposal.
    Is it possible that you just simply never bothered with the history of the music you're listening to?
    its about what you listen to now rather than what the music once was, the edm i used to listen to 20 years ago is a lot different to the edm i listen today but it was definitely what lead me to other sub-genres.

when i was a kid i used to listen to this cheese on toast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oyl1kUXLew

and there was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju0POeenb4s i think it kinda moved up for me from this to ^ that. then i found hardstyle in 2003 maybe and i preferred the dutch house better kicks etc harder bass.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2017-07-23 at 12:34 PM.

What do you mean, todays music is shit? Listen to this, boy, and revel in the marvels of 2017 music. Today's music >>> everything else.

Deleted
    ITT: people who started listening to bands and never updated their repertoire or discovered fresh new bands and assume that all music is bad now since all they have are bands on the decline and shit pop music.

Listen to letlive. and the Bronx and come tell me music nowadays is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

Those are some very weird recs.
    They're all modern bands. There's a lot of modern thrash for example, like Evile, Havok, Warbringer, Municipal Waste, Savage Messiah...lots of them are good, but Hexen and Reign of Fury top them for me. Feel free to sub in any of those others for recommendations of modern thrash. Same thing with death metal-there's plenty of solid modern death metal, but I favor the technical side, hence recommending Psynonemous and Ouroboros. Spawn of Possession, Allegaeon, or Psycroptic would have been viable choices too. And as I said, I really don't follow doom in general, but someone recommended Pallbearer to me, I checked them out, and they were indeed good.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's so much good music that I don't have enough time to listen to it all. Try foreign music OP.

Deleted
    This is literally what every generation says about current day music of the time they live in.

Also, who cares? It's like people can only like music from one period and then cling to it their entire life.

Bach died. It all went downhill from there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    its all shit now..well its been shit for 20 years or so now. but seriously, what happened to the music?
    You got old. It happens to all of us. (Hopefully)

How many have watched Guardians of the Galaxy and thought "awesome music?"
    And rightfully so.
    I recall someone thinking that "Ball Room Blitz (by Sweet) was more current than the mid-70s it came from.
    Heck, I would probably hit up the 70s as the decade that needs to have that music heard again. (Including Disco) That decade saw the most fun, most variety in music ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    How many have watched Guardians of the Galaxy and thought "awesome music?"
    And rightfully so.
    I recall someone thinking that "Ball Room Blitz (by Sweet) was more current than the mid-70s it came from.
    Heck, I would probably hit up the 70s as the decade that needs to have that music heard again. (Including Disco) That decade saw the most fun, most variety in music ever.
    Please ditch this horrible font.

And if you think all music is shit... then maybe you should put some more effort into finding good music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharein View Post
    And if you think all music is shit...
    And where did I type that?

99.9% of music has always been shit, and the reason why older music seems so much better, is because only the good music survived the tests of time. For the most part that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    I think older ppl simply can't get over the fact that you can create good music without needing to master an instrument, or that electronic music isn't music JUST BECAUSE someone isn't wielding an instrument. or they don't consider a computer to be a musical instrument.
    You can create great music without being able to play at all really, if you're somewhat knowledgeable. This is true even with traditional instruments, many composers can't play what they write themselves, but they certainly know will also know theory, have good pitch, etc.

Interesting discussion as to whether a computer is an instrument or not, probably for another thread altogether. To me its more of a manipulator / emulator than a standalone instrument.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Music sucks ass because modern "artists" can't even play pan flute. How can you even call that music without pan flute ?