Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The Mummy 2017 - 5/10

Not as bad as critics are rating it, imo.
    ...but you rated it worse than the critics did. IMDB has it at 5.7.

About to watch the horror movie I asked for before. Will report back tonight or tomorrow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    ...but you rated it worse than the critics did. IMDB has it at 5.7.

About to watch the horror movie I asked for before. Will report back tonight or tomorrow.
    Sorry, i changed my mind. Ju-on 2 is only good for people who dont mind low budget japanese movies.
    I still think is one of the best but is not for everybody.

I'm going to rewatch "The Thing" because i remember it was one of the best but i cant remember anything about it.

I hope you find a good horror movie to watch. It's the rarest out of all the types of movies.
    I don't know if you noticed but 90% of recent horror is scare jumps and blood. Finding a good one is so rare It's a dying art.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The thing is not a horror at all. Its more a creative sci fi from the 80s with kurt Russell that only holds up because of a great idea. Its not scary at all.

Best horror movie that was fun in my opinion was Spielberg's "Poltergeist."
    Although for Blueobelisk above perhaps "Green Room" (Patrick Stewart) might work?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dunkirk 9/10, holy moly that was intense.

Dunkirk 8/10

Terrific film making. Wonderful cinematography, direction, score and sound design. The latter two due most the heavy lifting in the film.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 6/10

Great art design. Not so good acting, direction or writing. Film has a lot of visual splendor and is certainly not boring.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The Thing.
    The Shining.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    "Poltergeist."
    Watching those would be weird. They're too popular. It's like, those movies are so old and classic that even if you haven't seen them, you know most of the interesting parts or at least core concepts because they get referenced in a lot of pop culture.

Like, who hasn't seen in some cartoon or another the axe to door -> head through opening thing? Or the TV going staticy and communicating with ghosts or other weirdness.

That's why I had to watch Frozen and why I watch some movies, just to understand the cultural references.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Please watch Ju-on 2 (2003)
    Sorry, i changed my mind. Ju-on 2 is only good for people who dont mind low budget japanese movies.
    k.

The Thing.
    I'm going to rewatch "The Thing" because i remember it was one of the best but i cant remember anything about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    The thing is not a horror at all. Its more a creative sci fi from the 80s with kurt Russell that only holds up because of a great idea. Its not scary at all.
    I saw the remake of The Thing years ago without knowing about the first. And it was lame.

Like last year I watched the original and the concept and situation were fresh and amazing. I love movies that aren't the usual cliche/overused troupes. But it was pretty dated so I didn't REALLY find it scary. Especially the alien.

Maybe I've been spoiled by current CGI but I just can't watch older stuff and not show skepticism or have immersion break for me for me to remember that I'm watching a movie and it's being acted out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Although for Blueobelisk above perhaps "Green Room" (Patrick Stewart) might work?
    Kay I'll add it to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Lights out
    I saw Lights Out and even rated it in this thread I think. It was movie good, enough that I gave it a high rating, but it wasn't like...guilty pleasure horror good. If that makes sense.

The Void
    I watched the first 10-15 minutes of this last night in living room and it was guilty pleasure good. It had mysterious situations, it had the small town vibe, it had the "trapped in a location" situation, and it even had non-talking non-chasing monsters.

I actually paused the movie cause I got freaked out a little...and didn't end up...unpausing it...It's not like I was scared okay, I was just...

I got spooked, alright?! I'm home alone and do you know how big and dark my house is and do you know how much noise there is between the Central AC and my fridge and all the NY noise around?!

I'll try to finish it tonight. Coincidentally I texted a friend that I was watching it and he watched it too, and he said it was dumb because it tried to be "Alien, The Thing, Silent Hill, and Rosemary's Baby all in one movie" w/e the fuck that means. I'll investigate it myself tonight..hopefully.

Dunkirk - 8.5/10

Raw (2016) - 8/10

Not usually into the horror scene but this movie is more about generating that eerie feeling about what is going to happen. You just want to know how it's going to evolve and it had me stuck to my screen. If you're fan of more intellectual (less stabby, shoot shoot, gory) horror, then this could work out for you!!

I think it was just very invested in the main char. Maybe i could have wished for a bit more fleshing out of the side chars but it doesn't make the film bad at all )
    Last edited by gruxxar; 2017-07-23 at 12:27 AM.
    made by Shyama

The Void.
    I watched the first 10-15 minutes of this last night in living room and it was guilty pleasure good. It had mysterious situations, it had the small town vibe, it had the "trapped in a location" situation, and it even had non-talking non-chasing monsters.

I actually paused the movie cause I got freaked out a little...and didn't end up...unpausing it...It's not like I was scared okay, I was just...

I got spooked, alright?! I'm home alone and do you know how big and dark my house is and do you know how much noise there is between the Central AC and my fridge and all the NY noise around?!

I'll try to finish it tonight. Coincidentally I texted a friend that I was watching it and he watched it too, and he said it was dumb because it tried to be "Alien, The Thing, Silent Hill, and Rosemary's Baby all in one movie" w/e the fuck that means. I'll investigate it myself tonight..hopefully.
    Well I watched it last night. It went downhill from the first 15 minutes that I originally saw. Like, it went out there with the ridiculousness...

Instead of staying true to the horror atmosphere/situation, it went into the realms of gods/monsters/other "action" sequences that aren't as scary as the slow monster-existing scaryness, or the "people who were on our side are going crazy" theme.

Like, you guys know I'm sure but a monster simply showing it's presence but not doing much is actually scarier than some fast paced chasing_with_a_knife scene.

Anyway, if I had to rate it, I'd probably give The Void 0.5/10. (No bold because it's not official.) The first 15 minutes was a perfect horror story intro to me, though. :////

Quote Originally Posted by gruxxar View Post
    This was a really great homage to Argento with some clever symbolism placed in the horror film context (especially the inverted ending). I gave it a 9/10; the direction and writing were terrific.

10+ Year Old Account
    Excision: 8 ~ 10 Sad, strange little movie with some interesting imagery. AnnaLynne McCord was pretty damn good.

The Green Inferno: 5 ~ 10 Fernando Alonso jerks off while his friends get eaten by Cloris Leachman and her stoned friends, because munchies.

Star Trek Beyond: 7.5 Heaps better than Into Darkness. Decent popcorn flick to waste an afternoon.

War Dogs: 5 ~ 10 I should've just watched Lord of War again.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

10+ Year Old Account
    Spiderman homecoming: 7/10

It was alright. Not a huge fan of the iron ma- I mean spidey suit all teched out but the story was engaging and I enjoyed the villian even if he wasn't super over the top.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kong: Skull Island

4/10

Baby Driver: 9/10

This is cinema. Scenes are beautiful. Actors and characters are fantastic. The music is wonderfully interwoven into everything. Honestly a movie I would recommend going to the theaters to see. Smaller screens won't do it justice.

I love mind fuck movies. Recommend some good ones to me.
    The Usual Suspects
    Streamed The Usual Suspects on TV in living room. Only reason I saw it was because of hellhamster's recommendation. (I only have a few movies left to watch from the mindfuck recommendations everyone gave.)

It was really good. The whole concept was pretty fresh and it was fun/cool to watch.

The storytelling itself was so easy to listen too and get sucked in too. And the switching between the story the guy was telling and the present time was done really well. I was confused at first actually but then I got it.

As for it being psychological, yep. It was definitely a thinking movie.

I mean, it seems so weird to give it this but I have to give it a 10/10. I just can't find any flaws. It seems so weird because it seems so simple and low budget. Meanwhile I'm giving movies that have $200 million spent on them 0's...

Really enjoyable experience, I'm glad hellhamster recommended it. But you know what sucks? It, too, got referenced a lot in today's pop culture. Especially in American Dad.

If you guys know any of these diamonds_in_the_rough movies, you gotta let me know. These days all I keep my eyes out for are the blockbusters. AKA, Marvel and DC, and the other "usual suspect" big budget movies. (Get it?) It's hard to discern really good movies from you guys' posts since you just give any blockbuster meant to be entertainment to the average movie-goer high scores.

If you guys know any of these diamonds_in_the_rough movies, you gotta let me know. These days all I keep my eyes out for are the blockbusters. AKA, Marvel and DC, and the other "usual suspect" big budget movies. (Get it?) It's hard to discern really good movies from you guys' posts since you just give any blockbuster meant to be entertainment to the average movie-goer high scores.
    The Usual Suspects, diamond in the rough? The movie is on a bunch of top lists, is super famous, and has a high rank on the IMDb Top 250. If that's the rough, I suspect you won't have a hard time finding diamonds if you dig a bit.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 7/10

I didn't expect to much out of yet another rebooted Spider-Man serie, but they managed to try something different with Spiderman for this one. Its a lot less serious and tragic compared to the previous installments, but it adapts the lightheartness of the Avenger series which also comes with a lot more humor. I still prefer Raimi's first 2 Spider-Mans the most by far, I'd call Homecoming about on part with the Amazing Spider-Man series.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Snip
    Movies Id recommend to anyone to watch that you probably have already seen but some maybe not would be

Dazed and confused, alien, blade runner, jurassic park, labyrinth, the Princess bride, kiss kiss bang bang, alice in wonderland (the original), lion king, Die Hard 1,2,3, Rambo 1,2,3, up, the shawshank redemption and all of Quintin Tarantino's work off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The Usual Suspects, diamond in the rough? The movie is on a bunch of top lists, is super famous, and has a high rank on the IMDb Top 250. If that's the rough, I suspect you won't have a hard time finding diamonds if you dig a bit.
    I meant older movies I guess. Or even recent ones that aren't that popular. I was like 3 when the Usual Suspects came out so I never heard of anyone ever speak of it, besides American Dad.

You're right, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Movies Id recommend to anyone to watch that you probably have already seen but some maybe not would be

Dazed and confused, alien, blade runner, jurassic park, labyrinth, the Princess bride, kiss kiss bang bang, alice in wonderland (the original), lion king, Die Hard 1,2,3, Rambo 1,2,3, up, the shawshank redemption and all of Quintin Tarantino's work off the top of my head
    Kay, I bookmarked your post.