Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now that's a trailer done right.

It looks like a lot of stuff happens during the season and the quality looks good, but eh. Besides some 80s nostalgia, the trailer was slightly above average.

Oh man, Thriller was perfect for that trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    It looks like a lot of stuff happens during the season and the quality looks good, but eh. Besides some 80s nostalgia, the trailer was slightly above average.
    It all looks pretty generic on the surface till you watch the show. The kids are very likeable and that draws you in then you start to notice everything is incredibly well done including the story. It's a nod to Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg while still being very unique and creative. The 80s is more a back drop to help make it feel isolated which is important when shit gets weird quick

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    It's a nod to Stephen King and Stephen Spielberg while still being very unique and creative.
    There is a lot of Carpenter, Hooper, Weir and Cameron as well. Some shots are direct references to the visual language and framing of The Thing, Poltergeist, The Cars that Ate Paris and Aliens for example.

The 80s is more a back drop to help make it feel isolated which is important when shit gets weird quick
    The 80s are actually pretty important to how the story is being told both in narrative and style. The show's timeline runs concurrent with U.S. military funding of parapsychology and paranormal special forces and special projects funding following the Vietnam war.

Seeing Reagan/Bush '84 is important to know, for example. The show even uses late 70s and 80s media and events to explain the 'upside down' and plotting. See: The Flea & the Acrobat.

This sidestep of simple nostalgia as backdrop is why the show is so highly regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is a lot of Carpenter, Hooper, Weir and Cameron as well. Some shots are direct references to the visual language and framing of The Thing, Poltergeist, The Cars that Ate Paris and Aliens for example.

The 80s are actually pretty important to how the story is being told both in narrative and style. The show's timeline runs concurrent with U.S. military funding of parapsychology and paranormal special forces and special projects funding following the Vietnam war.

Seeing Reagan/Bush '84 is important to know, for example. The show even uses late 70s and 80s media and events to explain the 'upside down' and plotting. See: The Flea & the Acrobat.

This sidestep of simple nostalgia as backdrop is why the show is so highly regarded.
    I agree completely. There's a lot under the surface. You can tell the people that worked on the show put a lot of work and passion into it. And I don't mean to undersell the 80s influence but there's more to the show with just the story alone and reinventing cliches that is actually very refreshing. Otherwise someone who hasn't seen the show might just think it's popular because of 80s feels and nostalgia
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-07-24 at 04:11 AM. Reason: typo

I really hope that the screen writers will do a good job and come up with something as good as season 1.
    Last edited by marthasimons; 2023-08-10 at 08:15 PM. Reason: smile

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Will def check out the new season. The Thesselhydra looks pretty terrifying.

Gotta be honest though, I think Millie Bobby Brown carries the show. Even if her dialogue is extremely limited, she's a great actress for her age. Winona kinda overacts, which is amplified by the catatonia of some of her colleagues.

Also, anytime there's multiple child actors on screen speaking loudly I wanna pull my hair out. Like all those scenes where the gang was freaking out and trying to come up with a plan. I can't take that many high pitched voices screaming at one time.

Less than 4 days till the new season.

Go to the Stranger Things page on Netflix and if click the red glow on the right of the screen and it turns the page upside down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp. I just finished the second season. I enjoyed it, I'm finding the acting in this to be quite impressive. Especially for some of these kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be watching this sequel if that dipshit hadn't delivered such an asinine acceptance speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I would be watching this sequel if that dipshit hadn't delivered such an asinine acceptance speech.
    Lol some actors are crazy get over it.

Tom cruise is batshit but damn it I'm gonna enjoy me some mission impossible

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol some actors are crazy get over it.
    Oh there's nothing for me to "get over." I'm simply not watching the show.

Oh there's nothing for me to "get over." I'm simply not watching the show.
    Pretty sad when people let politics rule thier life and can't even enjoy a 80s themed monster mystery tv show. Have fun with that

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sad when people let politics rule thier life and can't even enjoy a 80s themed monster mystery tv show. Have fun with that
    It wasn't his politics. It was his tastelessness. And I will have fun with that... since, y'know, there are so many other choices out there when it comes to entertainment.

Deleted
    It wasn't his politics. It was his tastelessness. And I will have fun with that... since, y'know, there are so many other choices out there when it comes to entertainment.
    All I can see is that you seem to enjoy whining a lot? Don't wanna watch? Fine, then go cry elsewhere, we do not care about your life story.

--

Loved season 2, not as good as season 1 because that would be quite hard to beat, but still amazing nonetheless.

Can't wait to see season 3!
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2017-10-27 at 04:27 PM.