Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    ...it's not "unproven both ways." Vaccines don't cause Autism, period. They've done hundreds of studies, on hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of children. There isn't a link. No one can find a link without doctoring the data.

And people who don't understand that the dose determines the poison make me want to scream. This is basic high school chemistry, but apparently some of you skipped the entire semester.
    They done hundreds of thousands of tests with thiomersal on humans?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post

Ethylmercury is highly studied. Not sure where you're getting that absolute bullshit. Same with thiomersal. No ill effects were ever found in this very intensely studied preservative only used in multi-dose vaccines and it was only removed because removing it was easier than explaining to a bunch of paranoid fools swayed by idiotic groupthink that their 6th grade science class told them mercury was bad.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/en...ers/index.html
    The toxicity of ethylmercury, for instance as it derives in vivo from thimerosal, is not well studied, and for many years, studies of methylmercury were used as a basis to predict the safety and estimate the risk of thimerosal use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylmercury

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    I think all conservatives should move to Texas and build a wall around it. Arm themselves with every gun under the sun. They deserve their utopia.
    think it was called kansas, and well we know how that went.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    They broke the wall and ran out..

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Avoiding bullying? Sure I suppose. But it sounds more like their concern is with avoiding opinions that conflict with their own. Horseshoe theory remains bafflingly accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

That's...that's special.

"In the matter of immigration, mark this conservative columnist down as strongly pro-deportation. The United States has too many people who don’t work hard, don’t believe in God, don’t contribute much to society and don’t appreciate the greatness of the American system.

They need to return whence they came."

Sure, I'll just crawl back up my mother's uterus, since I was born in the US.
    The point of the article is that the immigrant sector (legal and otherwise) is outperforming the non-immigrant sector. Not only in term of education, business creation, college attendance, etc., but pretty much across the board. Without the influx of new blood and their contributions, US economy and technological/medical advancement would have gone stagnant a long time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    That is Texas in it's entirety, not Houston.

Like I stated it has doubled in 20 years.
    These are for the metropolitan area.
    Number of Hispanics
    1980-~452K 14.3%
    1990-~776k 20.6%
    2000-~1,353k 28.7%
    2010-~2,099k 35.3%

https://s4.ad.brown.edu/Projects/Div...?metroid=26420

As for just the city proper, I won't bother to list the statistics. Below is the drill down. It indicates a similar trend from 1980 - 2010. I have seen percentages as high as 43.7 % from the 2010 census. Imagine what it is now.
    https://s4.ad.brown.edu/Projects/Div...cityid=4835000

It really is difficult to estimate how many illegal immigrants we have. One must remember that all illegal immigrants aren't Latino. I believe the largest portion on illegal immigrants we (Americans) have didn't just walk across the border like people picture it.
    Why do the numbers matter? The bottom line, Austin unemployment is more than 1 percent lower than the state of Texas. Texas has 4 cities that are always ranked in top 10 of the best cities in the US (Austin has always been on top). Without these 4 cities, Texas economy in 2016 would have been a bloodbath.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2017-07-23 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahaha well stated. I am still ok with the OP
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...017-story.html

Housing here is definitely cheaper than California.
    Texas real estate is more affordable than CA. However, while the median price of a house in TX is only 1/3rd that of CA, Texans average property tax is 2.5 times that of Californians’. Not to mention that they don’t have the equivalent of Prop 13. So as the value of your Texas’ real estate increases, you also ended up paying more property tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Texas will likely be a larger economy than California eventually for the simple reason of geography. The Texas Triangle allows for far easier transportation among the metros compared to California which has mountains between San Diego, LA and San Francisco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Texas will likely be a larger economy than California eventually for the simple reason of geography. The Texas Triangle allows for far easier transportation among the metros compared to California which has mountains between San Diego, LA and San Francisco.
    In 2001 Texas GDP was 56% of California. It took more than a decade to narrow the gap to 73% of California GDP by 2013. It only took three years since the oil crash to widen the gap back to 60%.

The Brookings Institute compiled a list of fifty “advanced” industries (the kind that invest a great deal in research and development, and that attract highly educated workers from science, technology, engineering, and math fields) and tried to find out where these industries are concentrated geographically. These industries are important because they tend to grow faster than more established sectors, pay high wages, and have long supply chains, which means their growth ripples into other parts of the economy.

Texas has a significant presence in five of the fifty advanced industries. That makes it the twelfth most diverse states (less diverse than California, which is involved in fourteen advanced industries). However, three of the five advanced industries present in Texas are related to the energy sector (manufacturing of petroleum and coal products) which make them vulnerable to the oil crash.

10+ Year Old Account
    If we're talking geography, let's talk about how California dominates most of the pacific coast and has far easier access to the international markets in East and Southeast Asia than Texas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Mexico would have to be come a world power economically for that to happen, IL and FL would have a better chance of catching Texas then Texas catching CA

Deleted
    1.) A victim role for "conservatives", while it is more about Trump followers than real conservatives
    2.) Bashing "liberurls"
    3.) Condeming California
    4.) Praising Texas

The OP has a questionable attitude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mexico would have to be come a world power economically for that to happen, IL and FL would have a better chance of catching Texas then Texas catching CA
    Suppose so, not much of a chance of Mexico becoming a world power considering it's murder rates. 2200 were killed there last month alone.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Suppose so, not much of a chance of Mexico becoming a world power considering it's murder rates. 2200 were killed there last month alone.
    Well, the US is generally considered a world power, and it had a monthly murder rate of 1430 between 2005-2012, so...never say never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Well, the US is generally considered a world power, and it had a monthly murder rate of 1430 between 2005-2012, so...never say never.
    To be fair the US has a population a little under triple that of Mexico.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair the US has a population a little under triple that of Mexico.
    Absolutely, it's also considered a 'developed' nation.

According to Wikopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_GDP_(PPP), Mexico has the 11th biggest economy from a PPP standpoint. US media only prints bad things about Mexico, and never mentions anything good about Mexico, but that reflects badly on the US media not on Mexico. Mexico is economically quite powerful already, and it is not out of the question for Mexican growth to spill over into Texas, propelling substantial growth in the Texas economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    According to Wikopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_GDP_(PPP), Mexico has the 11th biggest economy from a PPP standpoint. US media only prints bad things about Mexico, and never mentions anything good about Mexico, but that reflects badly on the US media not on Mexico. Mexico is economically quite powerful already, and it is not out of the question for Mexican growth to spill over into Texas, propelling substantial growth in the Texas economy.
    You know what other US state borders Mexico?

California.

Though I don't imagine that Mexico will be so keen on "sharing" its wealth with a country whose orange-skinned excuse for a president voices nothing but active disdain for it.

- - - Updated - - -

...mountains that have easily been surpassed by railroads and freeways.

Hell, the people holding up the bullet train project to connect LA to SF are (primarily) the conservative central Californians who seem to think that they run an either/or on water rights or train construction and don't like the thought of the government repossessing their farm lands to build a huge project on.

I mean they think it's okay if the government repossesses other people's land to build a giant wall down in Texas, but god help them if they try and build something useful like a interstate high speed train on their property.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    1.) A victim role for "conservatives", while it is more about Trump followers than real conservatives
    2.) Bashing "liberurls"
    3.) Condeming California
    4.) Praising Texas

The OP has a questionable attitude.
    You could say the that about the attitudes of a lot of people on here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You know what other US state borders Mexico?

California.

Though I don't imagine that Mexico will be so keen on "sharing" its wealth with a country whose orange-skinned excuse for a president voices nothing but active disdain for it.

- - - Updated - - -

...mountains that have easily been surpassed by railroads and freeways.

Hell, the people holding up the bullet train project to connect LA to SF are (primarily) the conservative central Californians who seem to think that they run an either/or on water rights or train construction and don't like the thought of the government repossessing their farm lands to build a huge project on.

I mean they think it's okay if the government repossesses other people's land to build a giant wall down in Texas, but god help them if they try and build something useful like a interstate high speed train on their property.
    Easy is a stretch and it's sure as hell not cheap. Though yea that'll definitely help growth in California.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    The same measure puts Russia as a more powerful economy than the UK or France so I find it as somewhat dishonest. Also has Iran as a larger economy than Australia....

Easy is a stretch and it's sure as hell not cheap. Though yea that'll definitely help growth in California.

- - - Updated - - -

The same measure puts Russia as a more powerful economy than the UK or France so I find it as somewhat dishonest. Also has Iran as a larger economy than Australia....
    These are values the World Bank are putting out. I doubt they are being dishonest in any way. If you want to argue that they are wrong that is one thing, but then again all we really have to argue with is what our own media tells us. And I think there is broad agreement that any information gleaned from the US Media is wrong and far more likely to be dishonest than anything the World Bank puts out.