Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    There's always been shit music, it's only the good stuff that survives for more than 20 years.
    IMA CHARGIN MY FIREBALL!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    What kind of metal do you prefer? Power metal? Check out Sabaton or Dendera. Thrash? Look up Reign of Fury or Hexen. Doom? Okay, I don't really follow doom much but Pallbearer are good. Death? Check out Ouroboros or Psynonemous. Black? Okay, I don't follow black metal at all so I really can't help here, but you get the idea.
    But that's exactly the thing. The mere fact that someone would name a truly horrendous band like Sabaton as an example of good music is very telling. Everything about it is incredibly cheap. The artificial production, the hackneyed, boorish and lukewarm "musicianship", the embarrassing lyrical theme and image of the band ... it's just such a "product". Or all these 80ies copycats like Reign of Fury, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust and all these jackasses who think that dressing up like Slayer, D.R.I. and Sodom did 30 years ago and permutating the same cheap Speed/Thrash riffs over and over is enough in order to be perceived as being real "metal". Those aren't bands or songwriters, they're reenactment actors and cosplayers. The music itself is stupefyingly inexpressive and vacuous.

Or those dorks who think they're "math" or "prog" because they bought themselves 8 string guitars, learned how to program Superior Drummer on their computer and then come up with "riffs" by tossing instruments down the stairs and hitting random notes believing it sounds like "Jazz".

That's a big problem in Metal. Everyone's trying to "be" (insert silly subgenre here) and act out the obvious attributes of the corresponding sound and looks instead of being musicians and creating stuff organically, intelligently. There's little musicanship and a lot of posing and playing the part. Another big problem is the fact that apparently nobody even knows what a good recording sounds like. Sonically, today's metal music often sounds absolutely tasteless and fake as hell. From a songwriting perspective, it's overly obvious that songs are being written by piecing "parts" together on computers instead of working things out in a natural way. Generally, I often feel this music is being created by truly boring and unremarkable people who live quite secure and regular lives, but have grown their hair or gotten a bunch of tattoos because in today's society, seeing is believing and it's OK if you fake it without ever making it.

It goes back to what I was saying - I imagine all of this is certainly "fun" for a lot of people, but it's not "good". It bores me to death. Obviously there's gonna be the odd exception here and there, but generally speaking, the genre is artistically in an agrypnocoma.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2017-07-23 at 04:22 PM.

Deleted
    Oh, totally forgot about Stereolab and Broadcast.

/Could do this all day

Uuuuh good music is still coming out... try looking for it on something other than the radio, but I guess free matches Jay's budget more.

It's hard for me to find newer music that I really like. Biggest exception would be Lindsey stirling. I love all of her music. Occasionally I'll find some other songs I like but mostly I just like to listen to the music I listened to backw hen I was younger.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    its all shit now..well its been shit for 20 years or so now. but seriously, what happened to the music?
    It turned to shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    But that's exactly the thing. The mere fact that someone would name a truly horrendous band like Sabaton as an example of good music is very telling. Everything about it is incredibly cheap. The artificial production, the hackneyed, boorish and lukewarm "musicianship", the embarrassing lyrical theme and image of the band ... it's just such a "product". Or all these 80ies copycats like Reign of Fury, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust and all these jackasses who think that dressing up like Slayer, D.R.I. and Sodom did 30 years ago and permutating the same cheap Speed/Thrash riffs over and over is enough in order to be perceived as being real "metal". Those aren't bands or songwriters, they're reenactment actors and cosplayers. The music itself is stupefyingly inexpressive and vacuous.

Or those dorks who think they're "math" or "prog" because they bought themselves 8 string guitars, learned how to program Superior Drummer on their computer and then come up with "riffs" by tossing instruments down the stairs and hitting random notes believing it sounds like "Jazz".

That's a big problem in Metal. Everyone's trying to "be" (insert silly subgenre here) and act out the obvious attributes of the corresponding sound and looks instead of being musicians and creating stuff organically, intelligently. There's little musicanship and a lot of posing and playing the part. Another big problem is the fact that apparently nobody even knows what a good recording sounds like. Sonically, today's metal music often sounds absolutely tasteless and fake as hell. From a songwriting perspective, it's overly obvious that songs are being written by piecing "parts" together on computers instead of working things out in a natural way. Generally, I often feel this music is being created by truly boring and unremarkable people who live quite secure and regular lives, but have grown their hair or gotten a bunch of tattoos because in today's society, seeing is believing and it's OK if you fake it without ever making it.

It goes back to what I was saying - I imagine all of this is certainly "fun" for a lot of people, but it's not "good". It bores me to death. Obviously there's gonna be the odd exception here and there, but generally speaking, the genre is artistically in an agrypnocoma.

Deleted

its all shit now..well its been shit for 20 years or so now. but seriously, what happened to the music?
    Look on the bright side: you now qualify for Amazon Past Your Prime.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Music sucks ass because modern "artists" can't even play pan flute. How can you even call that music without pan flute ?
    Funny you should say that.

While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Too many cross overs. Country sounds like pop and pop sounds like metal and everything just goes crazy.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

maybe i'm old now...but for fuck sakes, the music sucks ass.
    If you don't like a single piece of music released in the last 20 years then you must have avoided hearing more than a dozen songs from more than a couple of genre's. Some 80's music was great. Some of it was fucking trash though. The same can be said today.

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss the hair metal days
    Could always listen to Steel Panther then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think there was a bit of a cultural change from rock to rap.

With much of the rock, this is spoken in generalizations of course, many of the artists came from fairly solid socioeconomic lives. They chose to be musicians because they REALLY wanted to...not necessarily because it was a long shot at a cash grab. In many cases being a musician was a huge economic step DOWN from other opportunities.

In the case of rap, it was almost a mark of honor to be poor. To come 'from the streets' and be from a poor minority home. Lots of rappers did it for the same reason so many poor black kids go into sports...the long shot at a huge cash grab is an awfully tempting lure.

This isn't to say that there weren't/aren't plenty of rock stars who 'do it for the money' on a daily basis, but rap openly identified with that from the beginning. It was proud of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Music is as good as it's ever been, for most genres it's better, considering that technology has enabled a much higher percentage of people to have access to creating it. That means there's also a ton more shit to wade through, but what really happened is that you got old and lost the desire to wade through shit to find good music. 20 years ago I doubt you were bumping super popular radio trash like the Scatman, Barbie Girl, Vengabus, Hanson, Spice Girls, etc, but you had the drive to discover music, or had friends that did.
    There is nothing wrong with the Scatman.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Honestly, if you think that, I'm just gonna consider you insane or a fool and move on. Have a good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe i'm old now...but for fuck sakes, the music sucks ass.
    You're old, and people are on your lawn.

There's plenty of good music out there, every day. You're probably just listening to some crap radio that is playing whats 'popular' to people outside your generation.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    there is tidbits of good music now...but if you ever grew up in the 80's..everything is shit though.
    All modern *current time* music is shit, only good music passes tests of time. There was plenty of shitty music in 80s, 90s, 00s or whatever, we just don't remember it and it was forgotten. Thanks to internet we are exposed to even more music, and as a side effect - even more shit.
    Also it doesn't help that you are not actively seeking for good music and just listen to whatever media/youtube recommended algorithm throws at you, which is mostly catchy shit.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-07-24 at 03:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

As someone who enjoys melodic dubstep and vocals chillstep and stuff like that nowadays, I'm quite happy I'm not stuck in 1997.

(Yes, I know, 20 years ago isn't the 80's, it's actually 1997 holy shit)

Well, once upon a time most radio stations were fairly independent, and were the only way to hear music. And most of what you heard...was it. There weren't many music stations, and just about all of them played different genres within particular hours.