Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation really dangerous zones as new feature?!

HEy,
    I had an idea of a new feature in the game.

Does anybody remember how the zones in Guild Wars 1 have been?

After leaving the city, you hat NO chance to survive, if you wanted to just walk to the end of the zone. You only could survive, if you had some ppl travelling and fighting together with you.

What about new zones, that are so dangerous, that you can't go there alone? But think of this in an open world context (not as our raids are today).

Its like leaving the new main hub, but you cant get past the first group of mobs alon

If theresia great system around this idea, motivating people to go in these areas, wouldnt that be cool?

Think of this as the last zone like Suramar, to level you need to do this alone if you want.

People whine about grouping for five mins for a WQ already.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Deleted
    You remember your first visit to suramar? The mobs there were kinda dangerous when you had not even dungeon gear. You had to be careful with not pulling too many. Now? Well, just pull em quick and burst it down as with anything.

Gear is the problem there. If you created a zone as you tried to describe, it would have to scale with gear, and moreso, it would need a reason to exist, something to do there. Isle of Giants comes to mind as something close to what you described.

Long story short: "Dangerous" is always outscaled by gear, making it only temporary dangerous. However, it would still be an idea if it is an optional part of the world.

Nah.

Guild wars isn't really that good of a game to begin with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silvator View Post
    You remember your first visit to suramar? The mobs there were kinda dangerous when you had not even dungeon gear. You had to be careful with not pulling too many. Now? Well, just pull em quick and burst it down as with anything.

Gear is the problem there. If you created a zone as you tried to describe, it would have to scale with gear, and moreso, it would need a reason to exist, something to do there. Isle of Giants comes to mind as something close to what you described.

Long story short: "Dangerous" is always outscaled by gear, making it only temporary dangerous. However, it would still be an idea if it is an optional part of the world.
    They still are dangerous!

Half of the time, I'm still packed up by 59 mobs each time I lose my god damn mask.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    You mean guild wars 1, a game that was completely designed with group play in every aspect of it ? And a game that offered you NPC mercs, and then customizable followers so you never really played alone ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard recently TRIED to have mobs in the open world scale with gear once you hit level cap (In addition to scaling with level) as some may recall. But the player base revolted and they turned the feature off.

if the Zone is dangerous because mobs are just the quality of a dungeon no, that sucks as been proven. But a dangerous zone based off of other elements could be fun. as long as it's you're still able to play solo. Things like a desert zone you get a thirst bar/debuff and the numerous drinks in game help or make it worse, something you'd have to actively moniter....maybe something along those lines.....maybe slutmogs in a snowy drifted plains causes you immediate regret, slowing your movement speed and stuns you with self doubt.

Blizzard has already re-engineered this game to be a more lobby grouping type experience with a massive emphasis of instanced content over world content, and it's become less social compared to vanilla and BC. Can't put the genie back in the bottle. I doubt they'll ever do difficult zones. Zones are just for leveling, professions, and WQs, nothing else.

Current game philosophy is:

1. make 95% of the game easy mode
    2. for the people that actually want a challenge, there is end game raiding for the first month of a new tier. After month 1, they nerf it into the ground for the other 95%.

Those who want a challenge are supposed to gear up and get ready for the month 1 of a new tier, and then drop back into casual mode until the next tier.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want your character to die, just dismount in mid-air

Quote Originally Posted by merex760 View Post
    Zones are just for leveling, professions, and WQs, nothing else.
    So the exact same as Vanilla and BC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    I just wanna see an expansion that has every feature of vanilla and see how many babies cry about it.
    It would the most god-awful expansion made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Blizzard recently TRIED to have mobs in the open world scale with gear once you hit level cap (In addition to scaling with level) as some may recall. But the player base revolted and they turned the feature off.
    No, it STILL scales with ilvl. Just not as much as when it first came out. Blizz didn't go back on that, they just tuned it down a little. And such a shame too - I was wanting to one-shot an entire 50 mobs with Thrash at 950 ilvl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

I always wanted to see something similar to a mountain, or a tower, with encounters and monsters that become harder the higher up you are, but they award more and more rewards. Instead of being instanced it could be set in the world itself, visible and accessible to everyone.

Solo players could farm at the base of the mountain/tower. Small groups could start climbing a bit, with bigger groups getting even further. Skill and gear could push progression further, with only the most skilled, geared and organized raid being able to claim the top. The tip of the tower/mountain could be raised in future patch.

It would reward people for grouping up instead of staying solo, while offerring a perceptible objective.

What i really like about this idea is that it would offer a visible, tangible feeling of progression to players, instead of just being a number or an achievement like raid currently are.

Also, how cool would it be to be farming at the bottom of a mountain, and then you see a 40man group slowly climbing at the top, and then you wonder if you could tag along or if they'll make it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really liked how timeless Isle worked. The mobs on the ground level had minor mechanics to deal with and we're only lethal if you slept on them. As you went further up the burning path the mobs started getting a little trickier and by the time you hit the top it was a challenge for most players to solo.

I believe an encounter designer actually had a big say in that area but I'd love to see something like that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    You mean guild wars 1, a game that was completely designed with group play in every aspect of it ? And a game that offered you NPC mercs, and then customizable followers so you never really played alone ?
    You should check out Ragnarok Online sometimes. Many classes have moves that you can only perform in groups. Say you're a priest and you want to bless your party's armor with holy power so they take less damage from demons, undead, and shadow mobs? Well, you'll need at least 2 more priests in the group standing next to you to cast the spell, or it may as well not even exist. Or rogues have a spell where non-boss mobs will ignore them like they don't exist if they're standing next to each other. There was even a class entirely devoted to this, the soul linker. It has 0 offensive abilities whatsoever, its entire arsenal was comprised of link spells. Give a knight permanent 30% haste, let a mage cast this spell without a reagent, etc.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

I swear, it feels like these suggestions come from Blizzard competitors.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

They could get more creative with their implementation of zones. Breaking the world into X zones only makes the world feel small.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

I'd love larger zones again with lots of open space. With elements like BS. So say part of the zone is reserved for a "fort" gather resources build said fort, opposing faction destroys, becomes open land again, and then either side has a race to build a new fort...its a half baked idea...I should just be asleep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    You should check out Ragnarok Online sometimes. Many classes have moves that you can only perform in groups. Say you're a priest and you want to bless your party's armor with holy power so they take less damage from demons, undead, and shadow mobs? Well, you'll need at least 2 more priests in the group standing next to you to cast the spell, or it may as well not even exist. Or rogues have a spell where non-boss mobs will ignore them like they don't exist if they're standing next to each other. There was even a class entirely devoted to this, the soul linker. It has 0 offensive abilities whatsoever, its entire arsenal was comprised of link spells. Give a knight permanent 30% haste, let a mage cast this spell without a reagent, etc.
    except most of those sucked shit and are a waste of skill points and got you kicked out of WoE guilds back in 2004/2005 (rogue's ganster paradise and priest's sanctuary thingy) and soul linker is unbalanced cancer that gave useless buffs to everyone but apparently gave assassins the ability to pretty much 1 shot you even in +10 everything and safety rings.