Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I don't know whats not to be optimistic about, we live on a planet that didn't have to have life, were born to parents that didn't have to have sex, and live lives that don't have to be lived. If the Sun went supernova and wiped out all life on Earth tomorrow we'd have been better off for whatever happened today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I can assure you, it's 90% of the world, not just Americans. I am not american, I live in Europe. I have been in 2 different countries so far and everywhere it's same thing. You can't change that but you can definitely use it as advantage.

My elementary school "friends", they also went with attitude "Why the fuck would I bother with anything when I can't control?" and I pretty much went "I know that I can't control everything but I have tools at my disposal which I can control. I just have to use them the way I can" and hence I did. Not to mention that I had every condition to turn out as a failure and they had every condition to succeed. Now, after 10 years, when I meet them and when I ask them "Hey, what's up, how's at you?" they continue the same old shit "I have no idea what I am doing. I'm going to library" while I have graduation behind me and currently having full-time job.

At my job, it's different story. I know I can't control anything here but there is always something that I can and that's more than just attitude. Example, self improvement, knowledge, experience.
    Congratulations?

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    How is it not? If the consensus from older students is that the class is extremely difficult, it will most likely be hard as balls. And knowing how expensive it is to fail a class, I'd be a nervous wreck too.
    Its rather irrational to worry about something that hasn't even happened yet. But regardless, it's a matter of perspective too. It's not as if you're being executed for failing this class. Even if the worst case scenario occurs, it's a completely overcomable circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Its rather irrational to worry about something that hasn't even happened yet. But regardless, it's a matter of perspective too. It's not as if you're being executed for failing this class. Even if the worst case scenario occurs, it's a completely overcomable circumstance.
    "Irrational to worry about something that has not happened yet." What? That's the right to worry about stuff. When the shit has already hit the fan, it's too late to worry.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Irrational to worry about something that has not happened yet." What? That's the right to worry about stuff. When the shit has already hit the fan, it's too late to worry.
    But what does the worry do for you?
    How does it help you in any positive way?

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    But what does the worry do for you?
    How does it help you in any positive way?
    It helps to prepare for what's to come. You'll understand the gravity of the situation coming up and can act accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    It helps to prepare for what's to come. You'll understand the gravity of the situation coming up and can act accordingly.
    No. You already understand the gravity; that's why you're worrying. The worry doesn't do anything by add stress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    I will admit it, I completely hate how blindly optimistic American culture is. Some days I feel like I am a solo adult walking around in a fucking Candy Land board game surrounded by people that look like adults but with minds of children. 90% of Americans I meet have this attitude of, "I don't need to worry about anything. Everything will work out, all I need to do is smile and be happy." While I understand that sentiment touches the heart and sounds good, it is very unrealistic. I have heard shit like that spill out of the mouth of a pregnant mother with no high school diploma that already has three young children?!?!?! I almost thought she should be committed to an asylum.

At the opposite end, anytime I give the slightest critique, worry, or show some distress about a situation, I am practically labeled an anti-American, non-masculine, pessimistic loser. For example, a friend and I are signed up for an organic chemistry class this coming fall semester with what is known as the hardest professor on the campus. I feel legitimately worried, and I have been bracing for a lot of pain for months now. However, my friend is all smiles despite him practically failing all previous chemistry and math classes. I simply do not understand his optimism at all. He has this attitude that it is going to be a walk in the park, yet I have aced all my previous chemistry courses and I am preparing for torture comparable to that of a medieval breaking wheel. Every student I have spoken to that has made it through this class with this professor has assured me that it is a harrowing, brutalizing experience, yet my friend waves this off entirely.

Why are most American like this because I am completely befuddled by it?

If you want to call this out as nothing more than opinion, then do a quick Google search of "American optimism" and look at the countless articles and studies practically all stating that Americans are overly optimistic.
    If you are being labeled that way perhaps you might look into why...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it is important to have your head firmly set in harsh reality instead of floating in the clouds. Ignoring problems and simply thinking "everything is going to be okay because I smile and am optimistic" is not going to make those problems go away. Hyper optimism is often used as an escapist mechanism in America.
    No one is saying 'ignore the problems'... that is different that worrying yourself into an ulcer or mental breakdown over them... And exactly what is the point it worrying yourself sick over shit you cant change?

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you OP...it is a large reason why this country is in such shit shape...everyone's heads are in the clouds as the walk around like a pack of sheep...everyone acting like everything is going to be alright while the country is falling apart.

Everyone going on without a care in the world when this country needs change...while the rich run the country with no opposition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I am not asking for congratulations. Just don't tell me that anything "can't be done".
    When the shit did I tell you anything can't be done?

That's like the best aspect of American culture IMO.

I will admit it, I completely hate how blindly optimistic American culture is. Some days I feel like I am a solo adult walking around in a fucking Candy Land board game surrounded by people that look like adults but with minds of children. 90% of Americans I meet have this attitude of, "I don't need to worry about anything. Everything will work out, all I need to do is smile and be happy." While I understand that sentiment touches the heart and sounds good, it is very unrealistic. I have heard shit like that spill out of the mouth of a pregnant mother with no high school diploma that already has three young children?!?!?! I almost thought she should be committed to an asylum.

At the opposite end, anytime I give the slightest critique, worry, or show some distress about a situation, I am practically labeled an anti-American, non-masculine, pessimistic loser. For example, a friend and I are signed up for an organic chemistry class this coming fall semester with what is known as the hardest professor on the campus. I feel legitimately worried, and I have been bracing for a lot of pain for months now. However, my friend is all smiles despite him practically failing all previous chemistry and math classes. I simply do not understand his optimism at all. He has this attitude that it is going to be a walk in the park, yet I have aced all my previous chemistry courses and I am preparing for torture comparable to that of a medieval breaking wheel. Every student I have spoken to that has made it through this class with this professor has assured me that it is a harrowing, brutalizing experience, yet my friend waves this off entirely.

If you want to call this out as nothing more than opinion, then do a quick Google search of "American optimism" and look at the countless articles and studies practically all stating that Americans are overly optimistic.
    Jesus Christ, you're like a textbook stereotypical example of an angsty teen. A mod should forcefully change your screen name to "Edgy McEdgelord".

There is nothing wrong with optimism; Optimism isn't "living in candy land" like you sneeringly insist it is. It's simply a refusal to wallow in misery, self-pity and refusing to believe that you can't improve your own situation. And it's the best Goddamn thing that America has going for it.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2017-07-24 at 08:36 AM.

Yeah... no. Worry leads to stress. Stress leads to anxiety. There's nothing positive to be gained about worrying about stuff that is beyond your control.

That's just an overall terrible way to go about life.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    No one is saying 'ignore the problems'... that is different that worrying yourself into an ulcer or mental breakdown over them... And exactly what is the point it worrying yourself sick over shit you cant change?
    The irony is that when shit hits the fan, those same 'carefree' people are the first worrying themselves sick over that supposedly 'unchangeable shit'.

Even thought it's slightly exagerated, the OP has the correct attitude to do well in life, as opposed to the average Joe being swept where the wind takes him.

Okay, what the fuck do you want? Everyone to be mopey all the time because of shit that they can't control? What does that accomplish? Why do you think it hurts to be optimistic and hope that everything gets better? That doesn't mean no effort is being put into making things better. And frankly, in my life, the things I have worried about most have gotten better or resolved completely. The thought that everything is doomed never happened. Like fuck if I had a kid right now, but I'm sure that if I did have a kid, like that mother with no high school diploma and 3 kids, things will probably work out somehow. Obviously with struggles, but the world wouldn't end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tithian View Post
    The irony is that when shit hits the fan, those same 'carefree' people are the first worrying themselves sick over that supposedly 'unchangeable shit'.

Even thought it's slightly exagerated, the OP has the correct attitude to do well in life, as opposed to the average Joe being swept where the wind takes him.
    The OP has the correct attitude to end up a school-shooter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they are on drugs, i've heard that americans use a lot of painkillers (compared to no painkillers when none of bones in your body are broken or misplaced) in their daily life. It's hardly "hyper optimistic" case tho, OP is just imagining things
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tithian View Post

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
    The OP has the correct attitude to end up a school-shooter.
    I wont disagree with you.

Acknowledging that something is shit, a.k.a worrying, is the first step towards actually changing it.
    But, you're not changing it thou, you've just been worrying and 'preparing for torture' for the last couple of months.
    While I agree that too much optimism is obnoxious and can be harmfull, the same is true for being pessimistic.
    I've no idea what to write here.