Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I still don't get why people say Witcher 3 is better than Skyrim. The points of interest were tiny, the plot was rather average imo, the graphics were nice and actually large cities were cool but that's about all I'd give Witcher 3 over skyrim, combat and character progression were inferior to Skyrim as well.
    nicebait.jpeg

I'm glad they haven't because all you listed were games that don't do anything spectacular and get more praise than they ever deserve.

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't get why people say Witcher 3 is better than Skyrim. The points of interest were tiny, the plot was rather average imo, the graphics were nice and actually large cities were cool but that's about all I'd give Witcher 3 over skyrim, combat and character progression were inferior to Skyrim as well.
    Because virtually everything is better than Skyrim? Skyrim is an objectively terrible game and the absolute worst Elder Scrolls to date. Well, slightly less so than Elder Scrolls Online but that's only Elder Scrolls in name as everything in it is an abomination.

7+ Year Old Account
    I am gonna get flak for this but the only reason why people love the Witcher plot is that Gary is the ultimate power fantasy for most casual male gamers, Skyrim is slightly better because of the massive mod support.

Video games have gone the way of the movie industry-- the big companies are only interested in games with a very large umbrella, they generally don't want to play around with things that attract niche audiences. If a game has a long story mode, no multiplayer, they figure it will not attract the attention of as large of an audience as a game with short sessions, little story, and little investment. Think of the movies you see at the Oscars versus the movies that you actually see in theaters-- the big "blockbusters" rarely get the sort of acclaim from critics that the "artsy" movies get that win these awards, that are usually made by smaller companies.

Wow is this the only good thread @CmdrShep2154 made?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by G3istly View Post
    I'm glad they haven't because all you listed were games that don't do anything spectacular and get more praise than they ever deserve.

- - - Updated - - -

Because virtually everything is better than Skyrim? Skyrim is an objectively terrible game and the absolute worst Elder Scrolls to date. Well, slightly less so than Elder Scrolls Online but that's only Elder Scrolls in name as everything in it is an abomination.
    It looks better sure but the combat is an abomination. The exploration is pretty poor in comparison. The main plot may be better but Skyrim has way more replay-ability with the side plots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

It looks better sure but the combat is an abomination. The exploration is pretty poor in comparison. The main plot may be better but Skyrim has way more replay-ability with the side plots.
    If "the combat is an abomination" applies to anything, it's Skyrim. Magic is completely underwhelming and a husk of its former self and there's no point to melee weapons when you can sneak and one-shot everything even without exploiting the flawed enchantment system.

If "the combat is an abomination" applies to anything, it's Skyrim. Magic is completely underwhelming and a husk of its former self and there's no point to melee weapons when you can sneak and one-shot everything even without exploiting the flawed enchantment system.
    Arguing what has the better combat system between Skyrim and Witcher 3 is like trying to argue that your poop stinks less then another persons.

Both combat systems are complete trash and not the reason anyone plays either game.

That's not necessarily a bad thing either. We don't need platinum style or soulsborne combat in every game, especially slower paced RPGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post

It absolutely does because different countries give different opportunities, encouraging different industries and people in varying ways, making certain things easier. Like how Sweden, for being such a small and insignificant country, had (and still has) a huge presence in the music industry with both bands and song writers. In the 80's and 90's we also had a huge representation when it came to sports. Why? Because our country had for a long time encouraged sports in people from a young age, helping potential athletes on their way to the top.
    Hell, Sweden has even had a really big presence in the gaming industry. Avalanche Studios, Starbreeze Studios, DICE, Fatshark, Frictional Games, Overkill Software (later bought by Starbreeze, also a Swedish company), Mojang, Massive Entertainment and Paradox Interactive are probably all developers you've heard of. This is absolutely a result of a society and country that has encouraged such an industry and the technology that enables it.
    https://phys.org/news/2017-05-sweden...-industry.html

"Sweden's video-game boom in the last half decade is one of the biggest success stories in the industry, fueled by a talented and creative workforce and the fruits of years of government support for education and technology."

So you're absolutely incorrect in what you've said.
    You did not read anything i wrote or completely misunderstood me, i said nationality does not matter but how the country deals with attracting certain types of industries and more specifically how regions deal with it since said benefits are generally always offered at a regional level perhaps they need national or federal approval but it generally always starts very local. As for education and its effects on future industries, some elements can be controlled and some can't since you still need certain individuals to not only rise up, rise up at the right time with the right concept and attract the right investors and only the last of the 3 is something a government can have a hand in. Not to mention most nations have been investing in IT and computer sciences not to build out a game industry far from but to fill in much needed positions in those sectors that are showing growth globally and are the future.

From your own article good that i just browsed over it; ""You need heroes," said Martensson, the current Mojang CEO. "And we've had a few success stories. That inspires people."

As i said right time and place to make things work and attract investors, same goes with any industry.

Comparing sports what is an actual national thing to game development to make a point, okay have fun with that i guess. Especially since you throw in society and give no actual cause and effect, but i get it everyone wants to believe there is something special in the water they drink where they come from, it's rather normal i would say to believe such a thing since from young age we are told to look at others to be inspired, yadda, yadda.

- - - Updated - - -

Skyrim great sandbox

weakest RPG from the whole TES series (not counting the mmo), very weak in terms of story all things just hang together barely, the witcher has all things fleshed out,TES tries to lead fedex and what not quests into something bigger, at best you get a nice story revelation after you did a shitload of mind numbing boring tasks. Despite the presence of a lot of NPC's places don't always feel that alive or never mind if feeling naturally organic.

Now on the technical side of things, TES are know for their bugs, are know to be heavily reliant on the community, the mod community to flesh it out. They charge for minor dlc's and additions, the witcher you get them for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

That's not necessarily a bad thing either. We don't need platinum style or soulsborne combat in every game, especially slower paced RPGs.
    Wait wait wait, are you saying dark souls has good combat?

So... "dodge roll and stab in the butt a thousand times" is now 'deep gameplay?'

I mean, if gameplay is going to be tediously repetitive, I'd much rather have Skyrim's system of "run up and smash it with an axe" than "roll roll roll roll roll roll STAB roll roll roll roll..."
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-07-24 at 11:06 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Wait wait wait, are you saying dark souls has good combat?

So... "dodge roll and stab in the butt a thousand times" is now 'deep gameplay?'

I mean, if gameplay is going to be tediously repetitive, I'd much rather have Skyrim's system of "run up and smash it with an axe" than "roll roll roll roll roll roll STAB roll roll roll roll..."
    If you're ever executing multiple rolls in a souls born game back to back you have no idea how to play them properly. Frame timeing with I Frames, knowing what is punishable and what's not. Yes, that is a far better combat system. But it's games based off combat which witcher and skyrim are not.

Nice Bait, take care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    If you're ever executing multiple rolls in a souls born game back to back you have no idea how to play them properly. Frame timeing with I Frames, knowing what is punishable and what's not. Yes, that is a far better combat system. But it's games based off combat which witcher and skyrim are not.

Nice Bait, take care.
    ...so you're rolling in animation lag as "deep gameplay?"

Is that like how part of what makes Seath "challenging" is that his tails will clip through the walls rendering you unable to attack them?

I'm not tremendously fond of "fighting the game engine," instead of ACTUALLY well designed mechanics.

Again, stupid and simple is better than stupid and difficult if you're to be repeating it again and again and again.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You did not read anything i wrote or completely misunderstood me, i said nationality does not matter but how the country deals with attracting certain types of industries and more specifically how regions deal with it since said benefits are generally always offered at a regional level perhaps they need national or federal approval but it generally always starts very local. As for education and its effects on future industries, some elements can be controlled and some can't since you still need certain individuals to not only rise up, rise up at the right time with the right concept and attract the right investors and only the last of the 3 is something a government can have a hand in. Not to mention most nations have been investing in IT and computer sciences not to build out a game industry far from but to fill in much needed positions in those sectors that are showing growth globally and are the future.

From your own article good that i just browsed over it; ""You need heroes," said Martensson, the current Mojang CEO. "And we've had a few success stories. That inspires people."

As i said right time and place to make things work and attract investors, same goes with any industry.

Comparing sports what is an actual national thing to game development to make a point, okay have fun with that i guess. Especially since you throw in society and give no actual cause and effect, but i get it everyone wants to believe there is something special in the water they drink where they come from, it's rather normal i would say to believe such a thing since from young age we are told to look at others to be inspired, yadda, yadda.

- - - Updated - - -

Skyrim great sandbox

weakest RPG from the whole TES series (not counting the mmo), very weak in terms of story all things just hang together barely, the witcher has all things fleshed out,TES tries to lead fedex and what not quests into something bigger, at best you get a nice story revelation after you did a shitload of mind numbing boring tasks. Despite the presence of a lot of NPC's places don't always feel that alive or never mind if feeling naturally organic.

Now on the technical side of things, TES are know for their bugs, are know to be heavily reliant on the community, the mod community to flesh it out. They charge for minor dlc's and additions, the witcher you get them for free.
    But nationality is a country. I don't see the distinction you're trying to make. Society and individuals within it make decisions. Great sports personalities inspire young athletes to aspire as well, but it would be much harder for that to happen if the society and country didn't support such endevours. And those are decisions made by the people of the country, the people of that society.
    I think you're really cynical. Just because you can't see the ties and you feel no connection doesn't mean there ain't one.
    Yes and people won't or can't take these chances and have ambition without the country backing them up in that endevour. Well they can, but it certainly helps tremendously if they have support, education and so on.

They should definitely give making games like the Witcher a go. The world needs more games like the Witcher. Horizon was pish though and shouldn't even be in the same sentence.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you still think DA2 was great with adult storyline and other things, did i am right?

Also i don't want hear anymore about US RPG attempts, not after how they butchered Gothic series.

- - - Updated - - -

the irony is - everything you said here was 100% SUBjective.

The question is kidna strange. I will just have to ask you back with the the question why do they have to? I mean all kinds of games have their own merits. Developers make what they are good at. Blizzard for example is not going to make a single player game. Story-driven RPG is not the epitome of gaming. It's not something everyone should strive toward.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Wow is this the only good thread @CmdrShep2154 made?
    Had to check the OP twice i couldnt belive my eyes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    They should definitely give making games like the Witcher a go. The world needs more games like the Witcher. Horizon was pish though and shouldn't even be in the same sentence.
    Horizon was one of the best games I've ever played. Just shows that things like this are very subjective.

I enjoyed Skyrim, Witcher and Horizon, all for different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jyggalag View Post
    The world needs more games like the Witcher.
    The world has enough games like the Witcher - It has an entire trilogy of games that are not only like the Witcher, but ARE the Witcher. If every game was like the Witcher, then it wouldn't be a notable franchise.

Personally, I think the world needs more games like XCOM. Games where the player is both the writer and the protagonist of the story, and the narrative of your campaign is told predominently through your actions rather than scripted events. Those are far more memorable and personal stories than anything told to me through cutscenes and diolog.

Putting too much emphasis on story ruins otherwise good games. Either telling it through your world, it's locations and it's inhabitants like Dark Souls or having just enough to serve as window dressing to allow the player to tell their own stories is much preferable to ham fisted exposition, game play interrupting cutscenes and forced in game story just for the sake of having it.