Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    It helps to prepare for what's to come. You'll understand the gravity of the situation coming up and can act accordingly.
    Worrying and being concerned are not the same thing. Sitting there saying this is going to be awful why is this happening to me is worrying. Responding with well this is going to suck what can I do to make this as good as it can be, is being concerned. Worrying is a negative behavior.

Except Americans are the only people on Earth that won't do something because of the worst case scenario, no matter how farfetched or long the odds are. Pretty pessimistic outlook.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Because it is important to have your head firmly set in harsh reality instead of floating in the clouds. Ignoring problems and simply thinking "everything is going to be okay because I smile and am optimistic" is not going to make those problems go away. Hyper optimism is often used as an escapist mechanism in America.
    To be honest, I envy those people. I'm a super pessimist and look at the "harsh reality" and I'm fucking miserable. I look at those people and think, I wish I had what they had.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    To be honest, I envy those people. I'm a super pessimist and look at the "harsh reality" and I'm fucking miserable. I look at those people and think, I wish I had what they had.
    Well the world is in pretty shitty place. No use in fooling yourself otherwise.

Well, this is Dunning-Kruger all over the place.

Some people are just to stupid to understand the consequences of their actions and people who're more knowledgeable tend to underestimate their abilities to solve them. Just like in your chemistry course example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Except Americans are the only people on Earth that won't do something because of the worst case scenario, no matter how farfetched or long the odds are. Pretty pessimistic outlook.
    That's a pretty ignorant assumption on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Probably also value what you have more because you know what it means. It's a double-edged sword.

Well the world is in pretty shitty place. No use in fooling yourself otherwise.
    If its all out of your control what use is there in worrying yourself to death about it ?

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I understand the OPs first point, I know a decent amount of people who have completely fucked their lives, and they're almost in their 30's now, and they have the care free attitude of "it will all work out". But, on that note, its no really my place to put their burden on my shoulders. We all have our own lives to live, and you have to do what you can to make it better.

Now, for the "blind optimism". I had A LOT of hard classes in college, I knew a lot of people who just assumed "i'm going to fail", and this ended up in a self fulfilling prophecy. I always went into my new classes with the mindset of "I did really well last semester in the prereqs, now its just time to execute". I know plenty of people with the sky is falling ALWAYS mentality, and its pretty depressing to be around, I would rather be around people who are happy and optimistic any day. I will also assume the OP is still 20-22 and hasn't really been out in the world yet. Once there, you'll want to have this attitude as well, in college goals could be accomplished with a couple of months, but once working, goals are spread out over many years and require a lot of time commitment, you have to have an optimistic outlook or you're going to fail.

Blind Optimism = Bad, but no optimism is worse

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I'm working in America right now. Every single one of them do it. Look at congress and their politics too, it's literally how they justify everything they do or don't do.
    Last edited by willtron; 2017-07-24 at 01:39 PM.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Maybe everyone else is pessimistic. It is all a matter of perspective.
    Hope for the best and plan for the worst. Do that and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-07-24 at 01:41 PM.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    If its all out of your control what use is there in worrying yourself to death about it ?
    I literally had someone in another post talk about how suicide isnt that bad of an option to escape this shitty life.

Its funny, a lot of people here talk about how shitty the US is, yet they have this attitude whilst commenting from Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    Ignorance is indeed a bliss.

Guess there is no harm in ignoring the world as long as your bubble is safe. But once it is burst, adjusting to reality will suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Its funny, a lot of people here talk about how shitty the US is, yet they have this attitude whilst commenting from Europe
    Whole world is in bad shape, doesn't matter where you comment from.

Ignorance is indeed a bliss.

Guess there is no harm in ignoring the world as long as your bubble is safe. But once it is burst, adjusting to reality will suck.

- - - Updated - - -

Whole world is in bad shape, doesn't matter where you comment from.
    Just one of us has free healthcare and better cars.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I will give you that, your healthcare is much better, but its not free, its paid with your tax dollars.

Better cars? I don't know, Tesla's are pretty amazing, but M4 is still my favorite car on the market (which ill never buy), i'll stick to my future Model 3

- - - Updated - - -

And don't be ashamed of skipping leg day, that's why we have pants

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post

If you want to be a shit-eating defeatist then go retire innawoods of Finland, or cuck it up in Swedistan.
    "Cuck it up in Swedistan"...?

Wtf does this even mean? The US ain't exactly a shining beacon of developed world standards these days...

I will give you that, your healthcare is much better, but its not free, its paid with your tax dollars.

Better cars? I don't know, Tesla's are pretty amazing, but M4 is still my favorite car on the market (which ill never buy), i'll stick to my future Model 3

- - - Updated - - -

You'd take a Tesla over an M4? You're brave, the M4 is amazing. Plus, that 70k-100k price category is chock full of some pretty outstanding cars.

If you're after an M4 but price is the problem, I'd seriously suggest trying out an E46 M3 from the mid 2000s. Still hold up today and it's an incredible drivers car. (I'm not sure how much they are in the US but in the UK you can pick up a decent one for around 15k.) But I totally get buying a second hand M car isn't for everyone as the risk is high.

But my favourite car on the market - the new Porsche 911 GT2 RS (Does the Golf GTI TCR count?)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    "Cuck it up in Swedistan"...?

Wtf does this even mean? The US ain't exactly a shining beacon of developed world standards these days...
    I think it's one of those self declared "woke" people trying to communicate.
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

- - - Updated - - -

If I can afford cancer treatment and not pay more than 20 euro per visit and not be financially ruined, I'd consider that free. It might come from my tax money, but despite those high taxes, my living standard at the lower end of the middle class is higher than the upper class of certain other countries. And I can still afford to set aside funds for the future.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's one of those self declared "woke" people trying to communicate.
    Yeah... I guess the proof is in the use of 2 asshat words; "Cuck" and "Swedistan".
    I only ever see those words used unironically in 1 single camp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Psst.. dont remind him about the US being the only country to put men on the moon, no matter how farfetched it long the odds were.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.