Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Realistic wooden paintings depict the ancient faces of Egypt from 2000 years ago

Source: https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/...0-years-ago-2/

Art has always served as the most profound and pure communication form, a frozen fragment of time that allows people of the future to peek in the past. With the help of art, we’ve learned how our ancestors looked, lived, loved and suffered.

Another reason to cherish and appreciate art are the paintings popularly known as the Fayum Mummy portraits. The wooden panels date to the first century BC and show startlingly realistic portraits of ancient faces from the Coptic Period. The almost disturbingly lifelike portraits belong to the tradition of panel painting, one of the most appreciated forms of art in the Classical world. Some art historians regard these portraits as the very first form of modernist painting.

The Fayum portraits, painted with tempera and wax on wooden boards, were attached to the mummies, covering the faces of bodies prepared for burial.

These mummy portraits have been discovered across Egypt, but most of them were found in the Faiyum Basin (hence the common name). However, the term “Faiyum Portraits” is commonly thought as a stylistic more than geographic description.

The portraits, now all detached from their owners, were mounted into the bands of cloth used to wrap the bodies. The naturalistic portraits create an astonishing opportunity to analyze the faces from 2000 years ago.

Until now, about 900 Faiyum Portraits were detached from the mummies and have been displayed in various museums. The majority of them were discovered in Faiyum’s necropolis. Their incredibly intact state must be carefully preserved and maintained due to the hot and arid climate of Egypt.

Recent research suggests that the production of the mummy portraits ended around the middle of the 3rd Century AD.
    WE

Egyptian Christians iirc. Coptics?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Not if it started 100 BC, there might have been some there in later times, but it would not have been a christian tradition.

10+ Year Old Account
    The influence of the Hellenistic atrists is obvious and not altogether a surprise considering it was during the Ptolemaic era.

That girl looks like Eddie Munster. Unfortunate.

- - - Updated - - -

The Egyptians converted to Christianity later, then converted to Islam later still. Those who stayed Christian are generally called Copts.

These would have been polytheists.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    You can take your meme back to /pol/. No need to smear /pol/lution on every single interesting article that just so happens to coincide with your agenda.
    I'm sorry but, what agenda? I'm only asking because i have a hard time figuring out what this thread supposedly is about.

Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    Not if it started 100 BC, there might have been some there in later times, but it would not have been a christian tradition.
    Look at his source, this portrait is used on a lot of racist sites. Wikipedia says around 125AD.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

TIL Michael Cera is from ancient Egypt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MeHMeH View Post
    I'm sorry but, what agenda? I'm only asking because i have a hard time figuring out what this thread supposedly is about.
    Because some random black people on Twitter and Tumblr read articles from some no name blog/website that egyptians were black and rolled with it and /pol/ wanted to make fun of them with "We wuz kangs"

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at his source, this portrait is used on a lot of racist sites. Wikipedia says around 125AD.
    Bit too early for Egypt to have been fully Christianised, the last of the portraits coincides with when Egypt effectively became Christian, so it might have been seen as an un-Christian practice. Or they may have just gone out of fashion.

Deleted
    I had no idea that was some sort of racist picture or something. But what exactly is racist about it? If i where to guess it would have to be something like "oh look at them being all white", but pointing that out would be incredibly stupid as these come from Ptolemaic times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Because some random black people on Twitter and Tumblr read articles from some no name blog/website that egyptians were black and rolled with it and /pol/ wanted to make fun of them with "We wuz kangs"
    There was a programme on British TV a few years back, where some black American school teacher claimed that Cleopatra was black and her evidence for this was that her grandmother had said so.

Half an hour dedicated to some idiot that believed her granny, who cannot have been alive much before 1900, "knew" that the inbred Greek Queen (they were a proper brother-sister inbred dynaaty) who died over two thousand years earlier was black. At no point did it occur to her that her grandmother was talking bollocks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    The "WE" he wrote in the OP is a /pol/ meme.

OP posted the article because he

A) thinks ironic shitposting is fun

B) believes the /pol/ agenda.
    Aah okay, i get it now, thank you!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That shit was going on even in the California public education system as far back as the 80's. Every classroom poster you'd see about Egypt showed the kings and queens looking like they belonged in a 2Pac video.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    That shit was going on even in the California public education system as far back as the 80's. Every classroom poster you'd see about Egypt showed the kings and queens looking like they belonged in a 2Pac video.
    Some were, especially during the New Kingdom and Third Intermediate Periods. But most Ancient Egyptians appear to have been ethnically most similar to other Semitic people of the Near East; granted, that the sample size we have is actually fairly small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the "logic" goes something like African-Americans are black, Egypt is in Africa, therefore Egyptians must be black. It is things like that which helped perpetuate the stereotype that Yanks are a bit unworldly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    There was a programme on British TV a few years back, where some black American school teacher claimed that Cleopatra was black and her evidence for this was that her grandmother had said so.

Half an hour dedicated to some idiot that believed her granny, who cannot have been alive much before 1900, "knew" that the inbred Greek Queen (they were a proper brother-sister inbred dynaaty) who died over two thousand years earlier was black. At no point did it occur to her that her grandmother was talking bollocks.
    Sounds like morning programming crap

Well I can understand the logic since it is Africa and all that... and I'd assume the people out in a desert are of darker complexion but at the end of the day... who gives a shit really... either side. /pol/ people are retards and the ones that believe it... you'd more likely be related to the peasant class and not the Egyptian royalty if it was the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have some incredibly feminine face somehow.

Fascinating!
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I can understand the logic since it is Africa and all that... and I'd assume the people out in a desert are of darker complexion but at the end of the day... who gives a shit really... either side. /pol/ people are retards and the ones that believe it... you'd more likely be related to the peasant class and not the Egyptian royalty if it was the case.
    I think it's ultimately more symptomatic about the undue focus world history curriculum gives certain regions of the world and not others. From most history textbooks you'd think Africa stopped at the Sahara until white people uncovered it to exploit for colonialism.

There are plenty of rich and interesting cultures in Africa ranging from the Songhai Empire to the Swahili city states, but they aren't focused on so a lot of people feel there is little to identify with in history.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like morning programming crap
    It would have been evening and I think it might even have been on the BBC, probably BBC2 though.

Apparently nobody told her that African-American ancestors typically came from West Africa and Egypt is on the other side of that continent. It is like me trying to claim that Cypriots built the Great Wall of China, because they are both in Asia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    They have some incredibly feminine face somehow.

Fascinating!
    It's unclear how much of that is 'true life' painting and how much is simply due to the idealised art style one tends to find emerging in the Greek East.