Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This opinion piece from CNN raises an interesting theory. What if Trump is provoking Sessions into quitting? That way, he avoids the stigma of firing him. Hell, at 6AM he tweeted that Sessions should be going after Clinton and her Russian connection. Would Sessions really spend his time doing that? I mean, doesn't he have better things to do?

Another note is it could be the Trump camp continuing to drop hints to get Sessions to resign.

Edit: Breccia beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    Giuliani absolutely won't survive confirmation. But Trump could very well install him during the recess, giving him a month unchecked
    I'm sorry, you're clearly better informed than me, so could you explain? That seems like a contradiction. Does AG need a confirmation or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Another note is it could be the Trump camp continuing to drop hints to get Sessions to resign.

Edit: Breccia beat me to it.
    Considering your forum name I shall consider this an epic win.

Basically, congress is set to go into recess for a month. If Trump were to fire Sessions or Sessions resign right as it happens, Trump could slot anyone he wanted into that spot as a temporary measure and bypass Senate confirmation until they're back in session, at which point they would need confirmation.

The senate is already tossing around the idea of pro forma sessions which allow them to skip the standard recess and stop something like this from happening. If they didn't, Trump could immediately just fire Sessions/Sessions resign, Giuliani installed, and a month of unchecked damage on ongoing investigations. Giuliani (or anyone put in the spot) would have a month of free reign on the DoJ, could fire Mueller, Rosenstein, and order the investigation to be closed. It would look absolutely terrible and have severe blowback, but it's a serious enough consideration for congress to be considering holding pro forma hearings.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This opinion piece from CNN raises an interesting theory. What if Trump is provoking Sessions into quitting? That way, he avoids the stigma of firing him. Hell, at 6AM he tweeted that Sessions should be going after Clinton and her Russian connection. Would Sessions really spend his time doing that? I mean, doesn't he have better things to do?
    What Russian connection? Trump jr didn't contact the FBI, for them to review the info Russians had on Hillary. He even forgot to disclose it happened. Instead, saying all Russia gave him was gibberish... but, now we need the AG to investigate it?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    What Russian connection?
    He's been going on about the Uranium thing again. You know, the thoroughly debunked one. He's desperate and his rabid fanbase will buy anything.

At least the GOP are getting sick of it. They're dealing with their own problems. They have better things to do than deal with something Snopes swatted out of the air literally years ago.

Trump may be mentioning Giuliani just to provoke Sessions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically, congress is set to go into recess for a month. If Trump were to fire Sessions or Sessions resign right as it happens, Trump could slot anyone he wanted into that spot as a temporary measure and bypass Senate confirmation until they're back in session, at which point they would need confirmation.

The senate is already tossing around the idea of pro forma sessions which allow them to skip the standard recess and stop something like this from happening. If they didn't, Trump could immediately just fire Sessions/Sessions resign, Giuliani installed, and a month of unchecked damage on ongoing investigations. Giuliani (or anyone put in the spot) would have a month of free reign on the DoJ, could fire Mueller, Rosenstein, and order the investigation to be closed. It would look absolutely terrible and have severe blowback, but it's a serious enough consideration for congress to be considering holding pro forma hearings.
    Wouldn't put that past Trump but if he did. He would be 100% guilty of obstruction of justice.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account

Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    Wouldn't put that past Trump but if he did. He would be 100% guilty of obstruction of justice.
    Technically, wouldn't Giulliani be guilty? Would this be Trump burning yet another loyal follower?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I hope MMO-OT liberals will join me in a round of "Fuck Harry Reid", for the sake of expressing a desire to return to the normal order.
    Well yes, Fuck Harry Reid, obviously... but double-fuck with a chainsaw on top every goddamn Republican active at the time, too. Obstructionist pieces of shit. Fucking McConnell, don't even get me started.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    It's not so much thinking he WILL do it but Trump being Trump means it's a serious enough consideration to where congress is planning a counter just in case.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not so much thinking he WILL do it but Trump being Trump means it's a serious enough consideration to where congress is planning a counter just in case.
    And I'm sure that's exactly how they wanted to spend their vacation. Seriously, they're clearly overworked as it is (not that I'm complaining that they're trying to do their job), but now they have to stop Trump from doing something that would get him impeached, and they have to do this against his will.

By the way, Trump spend the weekend golfing and tweeting while the Senate pushed back their vacation. Just, you know, putting it out there.

I truly hope not. We already have a racist keebler elf. We don't need America's drunk, demented, crazy grandpa being his replacement.

I mean, especially after he so often blabbed about shit on national TV like how Trump had asked him how to make a Muslim ban legal. The faster he fades back into obscurity and away from the public view, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I truly hope not. We already have a racist keebler elf. We don't need America's drunk, demented, crazy grandpa being his replacement.

I mean, especially after he so often blabbed about shit on national TV like how Trump had asked him how to make a Muslim ban legal. The faster he fades back into obscurity and away from the public view, the better.
    Luckily the odds of it aren't that good. Giuliani would absolutely not make it through confirmation in this political climate, partisanship be damned. It's just a move trying to get Sessions to quit, especially after Scaramucci admitted that the previous Sessions leaks were Trump's doing. The problem is congress feels like he's up to something and are in a spot where they can't afford to call his bluff without potentially catastrophic consequences.

- - - Updated - - -

Not directly related to Sessions but Tillerson considering resigning too. If he and Sessions leave, jesus.

I'm sorry, you're clearly better informed than me, so could you explain? That seems like a contradiction. Does AG need a confirmation or not?

- - - Updated - - -

Considering your forum name I shall consider this an epic win.
    One of the things sessions could be in trouble for is lying in his confirmation hearing about meetings with russians. He initially said he didn't disclose them in the confirmation hearing when asked because they were part of his duties as senator and that they had nothing to do with the campaign, and the campaign wasn't discussed. Which is what this thread is about. Him discussing the campaign with the russian ambassador in the meetings he didn't disclose and then obfuscated what those meetings entailed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Not directly related to Sessions but Tillerson considering resigning too. If he and Sessions leave, jesus.
    Didn't @Skroe have Mattis in the pool?

I've seen the rumors about Tillerson, too. Honestly, if they're resigning on principle, all at once would be the best way to do it. Seriously, they're all in the same meetings. They must see the looks in each other's eyes. They know.

Well, Tillerson is there to promote big oil business with Russia and there's no real point in remaining if the Trump Admin. can't touch the sanctions. Trump's betrayal of Sessions is just a good excuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Well, Tillerson is there to promote big oil business with Russia
    Didn't Tillerson work with Exxon? And didn't this just happen?

Didn't Tillerson work with Exxon? And didn't this just happen?
    Yup. Because the treasury is now involved, it's pretty grim for Tillerson going forward. Tillerson is already furious since his presumed primary purpose (and actions to back that up) were to weaken the Russian sanctions. Trump got in the way of that by disallowing Tillerson, like Mattis, to fill key department posts unless they were signed off by him and Trump was looking specifically for yes men with loyalty to him and not the US or departments at large.

So at this point, Tillerson can't even do the main job and reason he took the post because Trump's ego can't get out of the way of their own master plans. Now with congress unanimously backing new sanctions and upholding previous ones, Tillerson is basically dead in the water at his post. He can't do his actual job, even to do it honorably, because Trump won't give him people, Tillerson gut the department so he could replace them only for Trump to impede that, he was already under fire over the whole "Wayne Tracker" issue, and this new case is pretty disastrous for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, Giulliani denies being considered and also defended Jeff Sessions. Whether the story was true or not, doesn't seem to matter anymore. Like some of you said, he wasn't exactly a shoo-in, either.