Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Noooo, please for the love of god, NO ROMANCE SUBPLOTS.
    Romance subplots with the Doctor work fine.

The trick is, the Doctor has to be the one who's completely flummoxed and being led around the whole time, by someone who's at least as smart if not smarter than he is.

See the undercurrent with the Doctor/Missy relationship.
    See all the shenanigans with River Song.

Those were all fine, it's the subplots with the companions that get bad. Because there's a paternal quality to their relationship, and that makes companion romances with the Doctor icky.

While I'm pretty sure both River and Missy are out of the loop for good at this point, there's other characters they could bring back. Specificially, I'm thinking of the Rani. Time Lord, has mucked about multiple times with the Doctor, is possibly an ex of his to begin with, and is still out and about as far as we know. If you wanted a recurring villain/temptress to replace the role the Master's played the last few series, the Rani might be a really strong candidate, if they can get the right actress.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    man 12 was so amazing. am i the only one who missed the paternoster gang lately? i miss vastra and jenny and strax. i guess theyre probably not gonna show up again though atleast we have a comic series for them

they could always make a comeback - however, you don't see many side characters feature with multiple doctors.

- - - Updated - - -

I am wondering whether we will see The Master in some form. yes, The Master killed his future regeneration but we don't know how far in the future that regeneration was. it could've gone something like: John Simm, *insert actor here*, *insert actor here*, Michelle Gomez.

maybe it's just wishful thinking but I hope they bring the character back

10+ Year Old Account
    Doctor who trailers always spoil the suprise... imagine not knowing the master would be returning in the past series it would have made your jaw drop :P
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2017-07-24 at 07:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Romance subplots with the Doctor work fine.

The trick is, the Doctor has to be the one who's completely flummoxed and being led around the whole time, by someone who's at least as smart if not smarter than he is.

See the undercurrent with the Doctor/Missy relationship.
    See all the shenanigans with River Song.

Those were all fine, it's the subplots with the companions that get bad. Because there's a paternal quality to their relationship, and that makes companion romances with the Doctor icky.

While I'm pretty sure both River and Missy are out of the loop for good at this point, there's other characters they could bring back. Specificially, I'm thinking of the Rani. Time Lord, has mucked about multiple times with the Doctor, is possibly an ex of his to begin with, and is still out and about as far as we know. If you wanted a recurring villain/temptress to replace the role the Master's played the last few series, the Rani might be a really strong candidate, if they can get the right actress.
    I honestly I really like River at the beginning...but Moffat over used her. They should have just killed her off and just be done with it. But she was dead and brought back so many times...The ruined her.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Hahahaha journalists in 2017

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair point! Allow me to clarify then... No Romance subplots WITH the companion. I was a big fan of River Song and her whole plotline, and I kinda dug the vague simmering undercurrent between Doctor and Missy...

But I do not want another DoctorXRose or Doctor/Amy/Rory situation. They just bore me...

I could accept a romance plot, if it was with a River Song style character, that we only saw rarely.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Fair point! Allow me to clarify then... No Romance subplots WITH the companion. I was a big fan of River Song and her whole plotline, and I kinda dug the vague simmering undercurrent between Doctor and Missy...

But I do not want another DoctorXRose or Doctor/Amy/Rory situation. They just bore me...

I could accept a romance plot, if it was with a River Song style character, that we only saw rarely.
    Or when we introduce the new companion, the Doctor is accidentally responsible for their current significant other being lost in time and space, either from weird woo-woo timey-wimey nonsense or because they got kidnapped by a big bad. And then the season arc is "let's go save your SO".

If I were writing that kind of arc, the new companion would be a guy, to switch up the usual older male Doctor/young girl Companion cliche. Their SO (a gal, we just had Bill so no need to retread that so quickly) avoids the "save the girl" trope because by mid-season it's REALLY clear that she's pretty darned okay and picking things up REAL fast, and however this all started, now she's deliberately avoiding them, and probably doing really terrible things. Maybe she got picked up by the Rani and is her "companion", and being fed a pack of lies about the Doctor accordingly. Basically, just use the romance as a driver for more interesting character development.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    they could always make a comeback - however, you don't see many side characters feature with multiple doctors.

- - - Updated - - -

I am wondering whether we will see The Master in some form. yes, The Master killed his future regeneration but we don't know how far in the future that regeneration was. it could've gone something like: John Simm, *insert actor here*, *insert actor here*, Michelle Gomez.

maybe it's just wishful thinking but I hope they bring the character back
    of course the master will come back, the master has died *permanently* literally tons of times, in fact thats how he usually changes to someone else instead of via onscreen regenerations.

even in new who simm died permanently only to be brought back to life.

will they explain it? maybe, but they dont usually.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe she got picked up by the Rani and is her "companion", and being fed a pack of lies about the Doctor accordingly.
    That would be badass. Whittaker, with Marshall as her companion, spend the season in persuit of the Rani, who we THINK has kidnapped Marshall's SO... Only to find out that the whole time, Rani has been lying, saying THEY are the ones who are trying to rescue Marshall, who has been kidnapped by the evil crazy Doctor.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be badass. Whittaker, with Marshall as her companion, spend the season in persuit of the Rani, who we THINK has kidnapped Marshall's SO... Only to find out that the whole time, Rani has been lying, saying THEY are the ones who are trying to rescue Marshall, who has been kidnapped by the evil crazy Doctor.
    You've even got the "let me tell you about the trillions of lives the 'Doctor' has snuffed out, for the 'crime' of disagreeing with him" argument built into the last few seasons, and it would finally give the Doctor an opportunity to defend his choices as "right" for once, rather than moping about for having been made to make them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. We say a glimpse of it even during Matt Smith's Tenure. It was touched on briefly during Demon's Run and A Good Man Goes to War.

I think it would be interesting to walk down that path a bit further, see where it ends.

If they REALLY want to fuck with us... Make the Rani in the right, and have the Doctor technically play the Antagonists role, without even realising it.

15+ Year Old Account

I actually liked the first time Amy hit on the Doctor, it showed us how fucked up she was.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I actually liked the first time Amy hit on the Doctor, it showed us how fucked up she was.
    She was pretty messed up... But I prefered it once they settled down and became more of a wierd brother/sister thing. It was boring having a succession of companions in love with the Doctor.

Deleted
    Probably too late to make changes to the Christmas episode, but can we have Peter Capaldi say "And now for something completely different" just before he regenerates?

If shes half as entertaining as missy, im all good.

They should have had Missy regenerate into the Hartnell Doctor at the end of the episode.

It would have been epic... if not super confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangebrew View Post
    Hahahaha journalists in 2017...
    She has far higher approval than any other Doctor did at this point. Tennant.. too young to be the Doctor, Smith.. too goofy looking to be the Doctor, Capaldi... too old to be the Doctor, Whittaker... obviously going to be the greatest Doctor ever as she's a woman

Now I keep seeing people using the contradictory arguments of both...
    "Nothing will change about the Doctor, just because he's a different gender he's still the same."
    and
    "this is the biggest change that's happened in Doctor Who and was sorely needed. ".

I would have thought people would have stopped falling for the ol' "We swapped the race/gender of a character.. now it's something new, exciting and different!" trick. She was good in Attack the Block and Broadchurch so hopefully she can bring something different and interesting to the character, on her own merit as an actor.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

the Rani might be a really strong candidate, if they can get the right actress.
    Please don't assume the Rani's gender, that's totally uncalled for.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't aware females could be doctors, weird.

Whos next? Female bond? Make your own franchises

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Now I keep seeing people using the contradictory arguments of both...
    "Nothing will change about the Doctor, just because he's a different gender he's still the same."
    and
    "this is the biggest change that's happened in Doctor Who and was sorely needed. ".
    The best one I saw was:

Person: YAY! Now little girls have a Doctor that they can look up to, and relate too!

Also the same person: OMG, I can't believe these fake Doctor Who fans saying young boys have lost a role model. The only reason you'd think a young boy can't look up to a woman Doctor is because you're a disgusting mysogynist pig! (BTW, she's never seen an episode of Doctor Who in her life)

She fails to see the contradiction is these posts, which were... Maybe three hours apart.

i have no problems with a female doctor as long as its played right.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor