Poll: Do you a Gamer?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vjnzen View Post
    If you play games, you are a gamer.

If you want to attribute something else to that term - knock yourself out.
    I managed a Gamestop for several years. I was told quite frequently that I was in fact NOT a gamer.

My staple is and was WoW.

Breaks for halo, super smash, zelda, CoD, God of War. I by no means played every title released. I have a select few franchises I really enjoy. But the "gamers" there never let me forget that I was NOT a "gamer". In fact I was actually chastised on several occasions by customers who wanted my personal review on a given game, and my response was "I can't give it to you, I haven't played it myself." which was often met with "Why do you even work here?" as if an obsession with gaming is a requirement for managing a store. Nerds (and I use that term affectionately) are an incredibly difficult crowd to please (not to be confused with geeks).

If I had a dollar for every "gamer" that walked into a gamestop looking for a friend, rather than a game to play... I'd be rich.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you play videogames enough for it to be considered a hobby, you're a gamer. Doesn't really matter what you play.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

If you want to attribute something else to that term - knock yourself out.
    I'd like to think that calling yourself a gamer means you identify with that subculture and that it's a big hobby/interest for you. Not just that you play a game in the same way that enjoying watching movies doesn't make me a film buff/movie freak. Just like how watching a few anime doesn't make you a weabo, but having a keen and involved interest in them does.

I suppose casual gamer, gamer and hardcore gamer are important distinctions though.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2017-07-24 at 11:41 PM.

I should consider myself a Wowser?

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Quote Originally Posted by Felfaadaern Darkterror View Post
    I should consider myself a Wowser?
    Or a Wowza?

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy to see that even the word 'gamer' is subject to elitist requirements to qualify. Such bullshit.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Happy to see that even the word 'gamer' is subject to elitist requirements to qualify. Such bullshit.
    But is isnt.

It was an insult , nerdy, geeky 15-20 years ago.

Suddenly everything became more accessible and a few games triggered an outburst cause more countries started having better internet, download options bla bla bla after ~2005, and facebook played a big part in it.

I do not consider a Gamer my female classmate that had 3 kids before she was 21 and her main priority was to get a rich guy (Obviously did LOL) because she plays Farmville on Facebook since 2008.

I do not consider a gamer my male friend that plays LoL once per month because it was the trend from 2011 to 2013 and he started it, when his main priority in life is to go see people running around kicking a ball in hopes something will start so he can go punch opposite fans.

Same reasoning i consider gamer someone that only plays WoW, but he really loves doing it, and its his number one priority when he has free time, or LoL, or Dota, or CS, or any game, as long as its -their main hobby-, their main choice, nothing else about it.

I am guessing i am a scientist because i spend time reading scientific articles.

Let me go become a chef after i read recipes, brb.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-07-24 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Preface - I don't even like the label "gamer" and I don't use it to describe myself, but I don't think it's crazy that people would assume that a term wasn't invented for someone who plays one single game. It clearly implies enthusiasm for a broad topic.

No one is insulting anyone or trying to gatekeep, people just expect words to have meanings why does that bother you to the point of throwing out a broad insult at anyone who disagrees with you? Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are "elitist" or "bullshit" That is clearly inflammatory and not conducive to discussion.

You can call yourself whatever you want, I don't really care in the end, I can't stop you, nor do I want to. I assume the "elitists" here just wanted to DISCUSS something on a DISCUSSION forum.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2017-07-25 at 12:41 AM.

TOP DEFINITION
    gamer
    1.)someone who plays video games when bored...usually very good at it

2.) someone who plays video games as a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    What is it with mmo champ and bad analogies?

Yes, playing only one game makes you a gamer, it does not however make you a pro gamer or a hardcore gamer, unless you play it on that level.
    Why qualify playing one single game with it's own word? It makes sense that the word would be a category for hobbyists.

You can call yourself whatever you want, I'm not going to stop you. If you want to call yourself a gamer because you play candy crush twice a month have at it.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2017-07-25 at 12:40 AM.

I only play WoW and I don't consider myself a gamer.

A gamer is a no lifer that spends a considerable amount of income and their lives on video games. My loser friend probably has over 500 Steam titles. I be sure to remind him every time when he asks why he still lives in his shitty apartment with his shitty roommate.

I haven't spent a dime on a video game since 2009 (even WoW), and barely play 5 hours a week -- if that.

You see that bridge? I Ivan build that bridge. But do they call me Ivan the bridge builder? No.

You see that church? I Ivan build that church. But do they call me Ivan the church builder? No.

You see that arch? I Ivan build that arch. But do they call me Ivan the Arch builder? No.

F--- ONE GOAT...

Decide for yourself if you want to think of yourself as a gamer or not. It's your life. Your self-actualization around what you want to do with your life matters more than society's labels or expectations.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2017-07-25 at 04:54 AM.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

I...what? I play WoW and a few other games, so does this poll just not apply to me?

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a lot of games besides WoW but I think even if I didn't I would still consider myself a gamer if the time investment and interest level was the same as it is now.

To me whether one is a "gamer" is a matter of self identification. Do you play gamers and consider yourself a gamer? Then you're a gamer. I personally don't think it matters if that is one game or hundreds of games, hardcore games or casual games, games on console, PC, or mobile (honestly making a distinction between those feels very "I'm-more-gamer-than-thou" which is an obnoxious attitude to me) - if you do any of that and identify with the label, then its yours to claim. Hell, if you love games as a hobby but haven't played any in awhile for whatever reason, I'd still say you're fair using the "gamer" label.

And if you play games but don't consider yourself a gamer: then, fine. Other people might disagree with you, but there's pretty much no situation where that's ever going to matter in any way.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't feel like a "gamer" because to me that implies a wide interest in games, whereas I only play a handful. You can consider me one if you want, I just don't personally feel like the title has been earned, so to speak, when compared to people who have a huge catalogue of played/owned games =P WoW nerd easily though!
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

Technically people who regularly play boardgames on the weekend qualify as "gamers". So I think it's foolish to try and make a narrow definition stick to the term.

So you like games of any type (board, phone, pc, console, whatever) and play them on an even semi-regular basis? Then you can call yourself a gamer. It's not like it's a super exclusive club. And anyone who treats it as such is probably an a-hole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow is still a game. so if you play it you are technically a gamer.

also life is a game, so everyone is gamers if u think about it that way!
    Hi

Cool, I fix minor wounds so I'm a doctor too

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Cool, I fix minor wounds so I'm a doctor too
    Yeah, because those two things are the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    Playing mobile games exclusively wouldn't make you a gamer, but playing PC games, regardless of quantity, makes you a gamer.

I mostly play mobile games, still consider myself a gamer. (3DS and Vita ;-) )