Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

How can I OC my rams?! Going insane here!

Okaaaaaaay.. I must be utterly dumb or it's broken..

How in the name God and for all good on the planet can I overclock my god damn freaking RAMs ?!

I literally spend like 6 hours yesterday trying to crack this mystery..

Specs:

CPU 7700k
    Motherboard MSI Z270 GAMING M7

RAM G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 DC SR - 32GB
    Speed 3200 MHz (PC4-25600)
    Timing CL14 (14-14-14-34)

I got my CPU to 5.0GHz at 1.350v which I am happy about. I have enabled XMP with brings my ram to 3200GHz. I want 4000MHz which should be possible according to countless of YouTube videos.

This guy here gets around 40 latency ! When I benchmark, I get freaking 60 ?!!?!
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/a...2&d=1455262876

Even various reviews states it should be from 40-50 and NOT 60!

Can anyone please help me out here? Etc a WELL written explanation on how to do so since it's my VERY first time playing around with OC of any kind! It's been fun, but this problem with my rams are killing me :/

THIS very guide here says to change the DRAM Frequency and you'll be all set?! When I do that, i'm STILL stuck at 3200MHz even though I etc piced 3600 or 4000 ?!
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mem..._and_voltage/1

I tried these: 4000 17-17-17-36 1.35V and nothing happens... still 3200..... :'/

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Xofa; 2017-07-24 at 09:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh who cares. Those people at 4000 are probably the same people who bitch about the imc degrading or outright failing prematurely.

Well if you turn XMP on it will default to the settings in XMP so if you want to manually overclock your ram turn XMP off for starters.

Do note that your ram is already overclocked as default ram speeds are 2133/2400 mhz for kaby make iirc. The settings you can use will depend on your CPU's internal memory controller and is different for every chip.

The OP should have bought 4000MHz RAM.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    The OP should have bought 4000MHz RAM.
    Why? When it's achievable by OC?

Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Why? When it's achievable by OC?
    and when all that is is factory OCed RAM. I don't know when people are going to understand that. Really, all DDR4 Ram, just like all DDR3 RAM was, is the same speed. Any different speeds you buy are simply factory OCed. You can achieve the same results buy buying less expensive RAM and just doing it yourself.

Thats not true at all, ram is binned a lot tighter than that. Most 3200 kits wont do 4000, and even if they do you are going to have to massively increase cas to get there negating any performance gains. For ram you really do need to spend more to get "more". More in quotes because most games wont see any difference with ram speeds, ram speed importance has been massively overblown since ryzen launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    and when all that is is factory OCed RAM. I don't know when people are going to understand that. Really, all DDR4 Ram, just like all DDR3 RAM was, is the same speed. Any different speeds you buy are simply factory OCed. You can achieve the same results buy buying less expensive RAM and just doing it yourself.
    True-ish.

They do bin the higher speed stuff (at least Corsair and G. Skill do) so its more likely to hold a stable overclock.

So buy buying a cheaper set, you might not get the speeds you want, but that's about it.

I dont really even see the point of OCing RAM on Intel, since it provides a miniscule performance increase in all but a VERY few specific instances.

The sweet spot is 2666. Just get a cheap 2133 or 2400 rated kit and OC it, keep your timings tight, and you're fine.

Going nuts on OCs is... pointless.

Now, Ryzen is an entirely different beast, but that's not what were talking about here.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Okaaaaaaay.. I must be utterly dumb or it's broken..

How in the name God and for all good on the planet can I overclock my god damn freaking RAMs ?!

I literally spend like 6 hours yesterday trying to crack this mystery..

Specs:

CPU 7700k
    Motherboard MSI Z270 GAMING M7

RAM G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 DC SR - 32GB
    Speed 3200 MHz (PC4-25600)
    Timing CL14 (14-14-14-34)

I got my CPU to 5.0GHz at 1.350v which I am happy about. I have enabled XMP with brings my ram to 3200GHz. I want 4000MHz which should be possible according to countless of YouTube videos.

This guy here gets around 40 latency ! When I benchmark, I get freaking 60 ?!!?!
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/a...2&d=1455262876

Even various reviews states it should be from 40-50 and NOT 60!

Can anyone please help me out here? Etc a WELL written explanation on how to do so since it's my VERY first time playing around with OC of any kind! It's been fun, but this problem with my rams are killing me :/

THIS very guide here says to change the DRAM Frequency and you'll be all set?! When I do that, i'm STILL stuck at 3200MHz even though I etc piced 3600 or 4000 ?!
    https://www.overclock3d.net/news/mem..._and_voltage/1

I tried these: 4000 17-17-17-36 1.35V and nothing happens... still 3200..... :'/

Thanks in advance!
    With a 5Ghz oc on your cpu, you wont see any fps increase with faster RAM. If you are lucky maybe 2-3 fps but not more.

The higher cpu OC you have, the less of a fps increase you will see and if you are unlucky with your RAM sticks you will just end up killing them
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

pansertjald: Actually thought I killed them yesterday.. BIOS said maximum voltage is 2.200 so I set it to 2.000 and boom! PC went out straight away :O Tried to turn it on and it started for 2 seconds only to shut down after again.. did this like 3 times in a row.. thankfully the 4th time I was opted to select some last known settings and OC profiles. Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeew! Damn my heart pumped in that moment

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    pansertjald: Actually thought I killed them yesterday.. BIOS said maximum voltage is 2.200 so I set it to 2.000 and boom! PC went out straight away :O Tried to turn it on and it started for 2 seconds only to shut down after again.. did this like 3 times in a row.. thankfully the 4th time I was opted to select some last known settings and OC profiles. Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeew! Damn my heart pumped in that moment
    RAM is the easiest thing to kill in a pc. If you want to OC RAM you have to take it step by step and do it slow. Don't go full ham on the voltage right away because then you will most likely kill them faster then you can blink your eyes
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

My suggestion is to stop. you clearly haven't a CLUE what you are doing. If you did you would know first off you are not going to get any real gains by getting to 4000.

5.0 on a 7700k....Is that so you can cook hot pockets without ever leaving the room?

Ocing RAM has very negligible benefits (if any). The only reason (most of the time) that you would want to OC ram is to declare that you OCed Ram. Its the one component that really doesnt need it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    I dont really even see the point of OCing RAM on Intel, since it provides a miniscule performance increase in all but a VERY few specific instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    With a 5Ghz oc on your cpu, you wont see any fps increase with faster RAM. If you are lucky maybe 2-3 fps but not more.

The higher cpu OC you have, the less of a fps increase you will see and if you are unlucky with your RAM sticks you will just end up killing them
    The interesting thing is all the Digital Foundry videos show as much as a 15FPS increase from 2133 vs 3066 while in cpu-bound situations and without a possible GPU bottleneck.

But then practically no other uploaders/sites were able to reproduce the results even in the same game and areas/benchmarks and without a GPU bottleneck being a possibility (although there are many occurrences of this)
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    My suggestion is to stop. you clearly haven't a CLUE what you are doing. If you did you would know first off you are not going to get any real gains by getting to 4000.
    Well no shit sherlock hehe! According to various tests and reviews there is a noticeable gain to achieve, however, as I said above: It's my very first time playing with OC so what could .. or rather, what did you expect really? When I OC my CPU, in BIOS it clearly states maximum voltage it will allow in order to safeguard the components. So please tell me.. How in the name of god should I have known that those statements are NOT to be following; according to you ehh?

But I guess it's a lost course OC'ing them... sigh.. I'll just stick with 3200MHz :|

Ohh hey! When I did 2.000v I followed a "How to OC RAM tutorial" with exact same cpu, motherboard and RAM. A quite safe direction to take no?

I own a ryzen CPU and no game i play (wow, overwatch, ffxiv, fallout 3-4, swtor) sees any benefit from 2133 to 3066. In fact ive actually noticed FPS dips that are 100% repeatable with faster ram, overwatch is consistently 2-3 fps lower with 2933 over 2666. Dont ask me how, but its there and repeatable. (same cas ratings)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I own a ryzen CPU and no game i play (wow, overwatch, ffxiv, fallout 3-4, swtor) sees any benefit from 2133 to 3066. In fact ive actually noticed FPS dips that are 100% repeatable with faster ram, overwatch is consistently 2-3 fps lower with 2933 over 2666. Dont ask me how, but its there and repeatable.
    Usually due to latency. Higher Mhz increases latency timings, negating most of the benefit of higher processing.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    The interesting thing is all the Digital Foundry videos show as much as a 15FPS increase from 2133 vs 3066 while in cpu-bound situations and without a possible GPU bottleneck.

But then practically no other uploaders/sites were able to reproduce the results even in the same game and areas/benchmarks and without a GPU bottleneck being a possibility (although there are many occurrences of this)
    15fps ?! omg ...?! That's huge! And people here saying it's not noticeable .. MY GPU won't be bottleneck - 1080 Ti

Quote Originally Posted by swisscheese View Post
    5.0 on a 7700k....Is that so you can cook hot pockets without ever leaving the room?
    7700k on Water is quite stable. I think i was only around 34/35c idle and never above 70c under load. I was running mine at that for some time until i realized i could go 4.6ish and not lose much.