A second opinion

Hi all, so my computer is old and I need to rebuild. Past few weeks I've been researching and asking around and I'm at a point where I want an opinion from, what I consider, a group that is more familiar with WoW than some of the general PC sites I've been to. So the PC I want to build is basically solely for WoW at max video settings and great FPS like near 100 even a raid or heavy pvp bg and one that can last a few years or more so I'm getting my money's worth =). I feel confident that the parts I was recommended for this and for my budget, which I would prefer a total of around 600, are good, but one part I'm debating is the video part. I'm afraid that I'm buying a video card that's for a lack of better words too good for WoW or a waste for WoW. So here is the build:sorry I tried posting a link but I'm too new lol

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($86.99 Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($91.98 Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($131.99 Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($304.98 Newegg)
    Total: $615.94
    Now this does not include me having to buy windows ten and already buying a SSD. Note my power supply is 600w.
    So my debate is instead of the GTX 1060 6gb video card I wondered if the 1050ti would be a good choice. I don't want to regret my purchase either way and Im apprehensive I'll spend 800 dollars for a system that has. Graphics card where the game is truly only using 80% of the cards potential.

Thank you all in advance.

Sorry to break it to you my man, you cant make WoW run smooth in all spots of the game no matter how fast your PC is.

You are correct that a 1060 is massive overkill for WoW, dropping down to 1050ti is a good call.

If i were you i would wait 3 days and build a ryzen 3 system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate - FireCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($68.06 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($145.33 @ Amazon)
    Case: Deepcool - DUKASE V2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $468.34
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-24 18:45 EDT-0400

This leaves you with enough room in that budget for a ryzen 3 1200x (or 1300x forget what its called, but its the higher clocked model). They hit retail on the 27th.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say jump on that PSU while its still in stock, its a great deal at 40 bucks.....plus all black cables

If you're gonna buy a new pc to play Wow on you'll need a bigger budget. The build you posted isn't good for wow. I don't recommend a dual core cpu at all. You have to run windows and background stuff while playing wow and that takes processing. A solid AMD Ryzen cpu or 4 core i7 is recommended. Good ram choice. GPU is not bad either. Spend a little more on the motherboard as well.

I assume you'll be running this at 1080p resolution. Last but not least, how about a SSD to go with it? Spinning hard drive are much slower and will affect map loading and loading times.

Quote Originally Posted by Haysmt228 View Post
    So the PC I want to build is basically solely for WoW at max video settings and great FPS like near 100 even a raid or heavy pvp bg and one that can last a few years or more so I'm getting my money's worth =).
    Just to manage your expectations right out of the gate, that is not going to happen. No PC is capable of that. WoWs engine is old, horribly optimized, uses only one core for draw calls and does that very inefficiently. In any situation where there are a lot of draw calls(ie. Cities with lots of player or fights with lots of particle effect) even the most bad ass of gaming PCs dips down to just below 60. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask them for video proof with settings shown because they are lying.

That said, yes, the parts you have listed will run WoW the best that it can be run, including dropping to a 1050ti.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by c0rnel View Post
    If you're gonna buy a new pc to play Wow on you'll need a bigger budget. The build you posted isn't good for wow. I don't recommend a dual core cpu at all. You have to run windows and background stuff while playing wow and that takes processing. A solid AMD Ryzen cpu or 4 core i7 is recommended. Good ram choice. GPU is not bad either. Spend a little more on the motherboard as well.

I assume you'll be running this at 1080p resolution. Last but not least, how about a SSD to go with it? Spinning hard drive are much slower and will affect map loading and loading times.
    It's been a while, but there were tests done with an i7 where they ran it normal, then disabled HT, then disabled cores. Results in WoW were pretty much the same. Of course, no background tasks or things running, but people with lower end CPUs typically know they can't multi-task as well. They want to run WoW and maybe a VOIP software and have a web page or 2 open. That's it. WoW still runs fine on dual core. In fact, most games do. In fact, even games that are praised for their ability to make use of more cores usually run fine on dual cores:
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-benc...5-i7-fx/page-2

BF1, one of the games well known for how well it makes use of multiple cores, and what's this? An i3 running it with 0.1% low over 60 FPS? Meaning that on a 60hz monitor(still by far the most common) there will be no difference AT ALL between an dual core i3 and a 6-core 5930K? Now sure, that's an FPS and someone trying to get the most out of that game will likely have a 144hz monitor, but still, the i3 holds it's own. In a game like WoW, it will make even less of a difference.

Basically, what Lathais said. Id stick wih the 1060 6GB if you can, though (drop your RAM to 1x8 GB if needed, 16GB is overkill for a budget rig, wont net you better performance, and RAM prices are god-awful high right now), just for longevities sake. The 1060 6GB will have quite a bit better legs than the 1050Ti.

Edit: also realized you have a Z270 board and 3200mhz RAM...

Unless youre planning on replacing that Pentium down the line with an unlocked CPU, theres absolutely zero point in using a Z270.

Get a B250 board and 2400mhz RAM and call it a day.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, also - very much might be worth waiting another 2-3 weks until Ryzen 3 hits the streets. Tipped prices are 109$ and 129$ for overclockable 4-core parts. Going to throw a serious wrench in Intels current domination of the budget gaming CPU market.. and completely take the piss out of pretty much tthe entire i5 lineup.

- - - Updated - - -

More like this if youre going to stick wih Intel:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dkBtf8
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dkBtf8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($79.89 @ B&H)
    Motherboard: *ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($289.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $491.84
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-25 18:49 EDT-0400
    - - - Updated - - -

(Im using the Ryzen 5 CPU here as a placeholder for the 129$ Ryzen 3 because they arent in the database yet, and marked e price down accordingly)

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VQHZTH
    Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VQHZTH/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($289.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $564.85
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-25 18:54 EDT-0400
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2017-07-25 at 10:41 PM.