Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    I have enabled XMP with brings my ram to 3200GHz
    Daaaammn, that's fast!

Jokes aside - I'm curious what you need the faster RAM speeds for? Which problems are you running into? Is it just because you want to do it, just to do it?

An issue can be down to RNG in the chips - Same as with CPU's, you can be lucky or unlucky with the batch you receive.
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow."
    - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    Usually due to latency. Higher Mhz increases latency timings, negating most of the benefit of higher processing.
    Obviously i was using same timings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrak View Post
    Daaaammn, that's fast!

Jokes aside - I'm curious what you need the faster RAM speeds for? Which problems are you running into? Is it just because you want to do it, just to do it?

An issue can be down to RNG in the chips - Same as with CPU's, you can be lucky or unlucky with the batch you receive.
    Bacially, yeah.. just to be able to do it. And also i'm streaming which requires A LOT of firepower from the system, hence I gained +20-30 FPS by OC'ing my CPU. That's why I thought I might be able to gain more FPS by playing around with the rams as well.

This is from BF1 with streaming going on:
    http://imgur.com/a/iA4Y2

The display shows the average difference.
    Last edited by Xofa; 2017-07-25 at 02:10 PM.

Have you tried downloading more rams as well? That can help more than overclocking.

Infracted. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2017-07-25 at 02:13 PM.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bacially, yeah.. just to be able to do it. And also i'm streaming which requires A LOT of firepower from the system, hence I gained +20-30 FPS by OC'ing my CPU. That's why I thought I might be able to gain more FPS by playing around with the rams as well.
    Not enough to be anywhere near noticeable at the level which you're at so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is from BF1 with streaming going on:
    http://imgur.com/a/iA4Y2
    81C on your CPU and you're not only not concerned, but looking to overclock other parts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    81C on your CPU and you're not only not concerned, but looking to overclock other parts?
    81c under full load is actually well within "ideal" conditions for an overclocked 7700k without delidding since the Tj Max is something like 100c before it has to shut down. There could be room for improvement though if there's any wiggle room to drop the core voltage but nothing to be worried about.

Not really to be honest. If it goes up to 90 I will be. But 70-80 I'm more than fine with.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    81c under full load is actually well within "ideal" conditions for an overclocked 7700k since the Tj Max is something like 100c before it has to shut down. There could be room for improvement though if there's any wiggle room to drop the core voltage but nothing to be worried about.
    81C at 89% utilization isn't a good overclock, regardless. It's definitely not good enough to be worried about moving on to RAM overclocking.

81C at 89% utilization isn't a good overclock, regardless. It's definitely not good enough to be worried about moving on to RAM overclocking.
    Really.. What would be then for a 7700k? Remember I have EVERYTHING thrown at it: BF1, OBS streaming, google chrome with +20 tabs, watching stream on monitor2 etc. I threw everything at it. I wanted to see if I could cap it at 100% but I couldn't which is a success in my world.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really.. What would be then for a 7700k? Remember I have EVERYTHING thrown at it: BF1, OBS streaming, google chrome with +20 tabs, watching stream on monitor2 etc. I threw everything at it. I wanted to see if I could cap it at 100% but I couldn't which is a success in my world.
    Under 70C. Under 80C if pushing an actual stress test. No, BF1/OBS doesn't count as a stress test.

Perhaps I missed it earlier in the thread, but what's your cooling solution?

10+ Year Old Account
    Under 70C. Under 80C if pushing an actual stress test. No, BF1/OBS doesn't count as a stress test.
    You would literally have to delid and use some high-end thermal compound to get these figures especially on a 7700K at 5ghz. There comes a point where the heatsink, no matter how large, has little to no effect because of the shit TIM Intel uses.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-07-25 at 02:38 PM.

Cilraaz: CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15S

If you wanted to stress test it why not run AIDA64? that will get you to 100%

15+ Year Old Account
    You would literally have to delid and use some high-end thermal compound to get these figures especially on a 7700K at 5ghz.
    80C on a 7700k without delidding while running IntelBurnTest is not unreasonable, with a proper cooling solution. 81C outside of a stress test is high, regardless. It's not dangerously high, but it's far from "well that's done, on to overclocking my RAM!".

You would literally have to delid and use some high-end thermal compound to get these figures especially on a 7700K at 5ghz. There comes a point where the heatsink has little to no effect because of the shit TIM Intel uses.
    That is false. As i said in an earlier post I am also getting numbers like these on water. Not all of the 7700ks had the shitty air gap issue that delid helped fix.

Moozart: Ohh but I have already. Aida64, Realbench etc. http://imgur.com/a/KJrvE

Deleted
    As people have mentioned before, you want to disable XMP and overclock it yourself. Do it slowly, in small increments and run prime95 RAM tests after a successful boot. Do keep in mind that all RAM sticks are essentially 2133 overclocked to some amount, regardless what is said on the product page. It is not uncommon for them to have a "ceiling" of sorts, which could be below the advocated values. I myself spent good 3-5 days trying to achieve the promised 3.2k on my sticks, just to realize that no amount of voltage would stop rounding errors above 3k.

So as I've said, go manually, go slowly and find that cap.

I get the same fps in bf1 with a 1080, 6700k@ 4.5, 1440p running 3 monitors, and temps in the 60s.

I know 7700 can do 80+......but just during a normal gaming session??

I think I've seen 70 once or twice while gaming, with android studio + android emulator + 2 vmware sessions running win/mac
    Last edited by swisscheese; 2017-07-25 at 02:51 PM.

in ram, having low latency is more important than a few megahertz. Thats why i invested into expensive cl 14 / 3200 ram. It was a very good decision. For ram, getting a decent speed at low latency is best bet u can get. 4000 ram with cl 18 would not be faster than cl 14 3000. Its simple math.
    High Bus speed and low latency would be best prepositions for good ram.