Unobtainable content in GW2?

I'm considering giving GW2 a try as I'm extraordinarily tired of WoW. One of the most off-putting things of WoW to me is how certain in game achievements, items, and content become inaccessible or unobtainable over time. I want to know if this is the case in GW2 as well and on how big of a scale if so. I don't want to feel obligated to play the game for 8 hours a day or miss out on some neat content or items simply because I had other things to do.

The only unobtainable content is season 1 of the Living Story. Everything else can be done at your leisure (once you reach level 80)

Quote Originally Posted by Bers3rk View Post
    I'm considering giving GW2 a try as I'm extraordinarily tired of WoW. One of the most off-putting things of WoW to me is how certain in game achievements, items, and content become inaccessible or unobtainable over time. I want to know if this is the case in GW2 as well and on how big of a scale if so. I don't want to feel obligated to play the game for 8 hours a day or miss out on some neat content or items simply because I had other things to do.
    Not only is everything in GW2 accessible, most of it you can do in the way you want to. As an example, one of the first extra zones in the original game was a place called Dry Top. That has a whole bunch of insect in amber weapon skins that you can collect. You can still go back to that zone today and find people running it to allow you to get those skins. Or you can go into WvW (which is kind of large scale PvP) and collect all the skins as you play it.

You can do the same thing with skins and sets from dungeons, if you want. Or do it in organised PvP if you want. The best thing about it is that you play at your pace, in the content that you want to do. There really isn't any steering, which after WoW will either feel like a great relief or just strange.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Not only is everything in GW2 accessible, most of it you can do in the way you want to. As an example, one of the first extra zones in the original game was a place called Dry Top. That has a whole bunch of insect in amber weapon skins that you can collect. You can still go back to that zone today and find people running it to allow you to get those skins. Or you can go into WvW (which is kind of large scale PvP) and collect all the skins as you play it.

You can do the same thing with skins and sets from dungeons, if you want. Or do it in organised PvP if you want. The best thing about it is that you play at your pace, in the content that you want to do. There really isn't any steering, which after WoW will either feel like a great relief or just strange.
    This! And one of the best things is: You can always return after a brief hiatus from the game, and play it again without fear of staying behind the other players.

It's great!

There have been some events and such over the years that had limited-time-only types of rewards (the Zephyr Sanctum event, Queen's Jubilee, etc.). These all also stem from events during Living Story Season 1, though, which also suffers from that same distinction (aka, you can't play through that stuff now). After that, though, Anet realized how much people wanted to be able to play the stuff, so they've been a lot less prone to creating limited time content. Overwhelming majority of this game's content will always be available.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    After that, though, Anet realized how much people wanted to be able to play the stuff, so they've been a lot less prone to creating limited time content. Overwhelming majority of this game's content will always be available.
    Or rather they realized they can actually sell it and slapped it on the ingame-shop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    Or rather they realized they can actually sell it and slapped it on the ingame-shop.
    I would rather pay for the content and always have it there when I want to buy/play it then rather be like it's limited time, be there or be square.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    The only unobtainable content is season 1 of the Living Story. Everything else can be done at your leisure (once you reach level 80)
    Most skins from LS1 are obtainable except for a handful of outliners.

OP, apart from playable content from the first story addon (LS1), 99% of content/skins are obtainable in one way or another. You have to pay for old story addons and some item shop skins are on rotation but thats about it.

Most story related skins (LS3 stuff) can be obtained in PvE PvP or WvW.

- - - Updated - - -

You had to play the game hardcore to keep up. Stuff was coming and going every 2-4 weeks.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Entirely plausible, but hey, at least that stuff is still available, and the way they do it now (where active players get the content at no extra charge) is perfectly acceptable. I'm not a total 100% fan of it, mind you, but it's not an egregious offense (the addition of ascended gear pissed me off more than anything...and over the years I've forgiven that, lol). I mean...all I've done with GW2 in the past year and change is pop on whenever a major patch was released to flag my account as active for it, so now I have the entire LS3 as a backlog of content to play in the event I get back around to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadieb View Post
    I would rather pay for the content and always have it there when I want to buy/play it then rather be like it's limited time, be there or be square.
    The entitlement is strong with this one.

SOME exclusivity is good for games.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad to see this thread pop up. My main reason for dropping this game was the limited time event stuff when it first launched. Glad to see they got over that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    You had to play the game hardcore to keep up. Stuff was coming and going every 2-4 weeks.
    I really wouldn't know about S1...
    I played only the last 2 episodes of LS2
    and the last 3 of S3.

Arenanet has no idea how to reach churned players.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 has exclusivity just like other games. Considering how LS1 went there is probably about the same amount of it that WoW has. They're a lot better about this stuff now, but you're going to either have to buy off the shop or TP certain items. Also the LS content now requires you log in during the chapter to get it free, otherwise that content is locked behind a paywall. I am not really sure why they even did that, but the LS is not required by any means to enjoy the game. I've missed a lot of the S2 chapters but have most of the S3.

I think its good for the game overall. Gives long time players something to show off and incentivizes new players to get in on the action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    GW2 has exclusivity just like other games. Considering how LS1 went there is probably about the same amount of it that WoW has. They're a lot better about this stuff now, but you're going to either have to buy off the shop or TP certain items. Also the LS content now requires you log in during the chapter to get it free, otherwise that content is locked behind a paywall. I am not really sure why they even did that, but the LS is not required by any means to enjoy the game. I've missed a lot of the S2 chapters but have most of the S3.

I think its good for the game overall. Gives long time players something to show off and incentivizes new players to get in on the action.
    They do the paywall thing to get players into the game while the content is fresh. They tend to release new gem store items at the same time as well, so giving players an incentive to log in means more exposure to the cash shop stuff.

Also the episodes are pretty cheap in terms of in game gold.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I really wouldn't know about S1...
    I played only the last 2 episodes of LS2
    and the last 3 of S3.

Arenanet has no idea how to reach churned players.
    What do you mean? are you trying to say that the content isn't great or A/Net's telling people about the content isn't great?