Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Suburbs are much nicer to live in than a major city. The best is a stand alone city of about 50,000 though.
    I don't fancy being far away form everything, unable to walk anywhere, relying on cars to get everywhere even just to go to a store to get something.

10+ Year Old Account
    They seem to be just like any other community, just slightly more concerned with security.

I've never lived in one (unless you counted fated apartment complex) and probably would never live in one cause I hate HoAs. Where I live seems to be burglar deterent enough anyways. 1 way in, 1 way out and on the edge of ruralness, complete with my house having a gate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I don't fancy being far away form everything, unable to walk anywhere, relying on cars to get everywhere even just to go to a store to get something.
    I dont fancy having to walk in the rain, being in a crowded area with high crime, high pollution, high traffic, low greenery, etc...

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Who cares where other people life, worry about yourself.

All the gated communities I have been to or lived in were false senses of security, there were still cars that got broke into and robberies. They usually cost more too so i don't see the point in living in one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhantasmagoriaX View Post
    All the gated communities I have been to or lived in were false senses of security, there were still cars that got broke into and robberies. They usually cost more too so i don't see the point in living in one.
    Bingo...

The security sounds nice but in the end day to day it becomes a huge pain in the ass. Having to manage gate passwords and keys passes and sign ins...it all gets so frustrating. You can't ever have people just come to your house...it has to be a whole 'thing' to just simply order a pizza or get packages delivered. So in the end what happens is people start to neglect the security policies...the residents who pay to submit themselves to the thing actually start ignoring them. They start sharing the passwords and just letting random people through gates. they start propping open the doors and such because its such a hassle to reopen things.

In the end...what do a few cameras and a fat guy sleeping in a shack gain you? I live in the back of a quiet neighborhood. We know just as fast as any gated community does when someone out of the ordinary is passing through. We ( the neighbors) all know each other, and our cars, so if anyone else shows up we just keep an eye out. It isn't hard...we also don't have to pay for security theater.

http://neighborhoodguard.org/gated-v...hich-is-safer/

It really is just an illusion.
    Last edited by Wiyld; 2017-07-25 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Fuck suburbs and exurbs. They need to die.
    How about fuck city life? Not everyone wants to live that kind of lifestyle. Bums, stink, crime, traffic and higher taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    How about fuck city life? Not everyone wants to live that kind of lifestyle. Bums, stink, crime, traffic and higher taxes.
    Don't forget having to be around liberal coastal elites.

They are just larger versions of door locks. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, fuck that shit. If I have that kind of money I'll buy 15 or 20 acres and not have nosey neighbors scared of the world. Personally, I've known people that live in them and they agree it is an illusion and kind of a hassel, but they had the money and that is where they found the house that fit their budget. Still have break ins, things are a hassel etc.

Gated community to a criminal is putting jewelry in a display window. You can pretty much bank on most the homes inside not being as secure because the gate, you know they have money, and if you can get a code (not that hard) you can waltz in and waltz out. I've lived in the low income areas, the high income areas etc, and I've never been broken into, and most my neighbors haven't either. My car once, by.......teenagers, which live in every community, and I've known plenty of rich kids who steal.

I'm not that into the inclusive community thing. It is weird and boring to me. I like to be in the mix and walking distance to the things I like. Don't really want to go to community events and be told how many guests I can have, how many cars, what can be in my yard, what color my house can be, going to association meetings, etc. I'll take a pass and just own land.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2017-07-25 at 08:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    They are just larger versions of door locks. Nothing wrong with that.
    Or a giant sign that says "come steal our shit". Plenty of thieves simply hop the fences or wait until someone lets them in. Most gates arent monitored with actual security guards. Very few have security on the inside or cops that bother patrolling the area.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lived in a few. They're nice. it's also weird. because while it is more secure(if you live closer to the center or just further away from the walls you're better protected by the fact that someone would have to pass over the "better" houses) some of the people(mostly the old people) tend to be more insecure(me and my friends learned which houses would call security if they saw us together)

All in all, it's nice though. the people tend to be nice, the amenities are good, and everything tends to be fairly manicured. but the bad sides are of course there, like the people who call security and clutch their pearls when they see a group of boys being idiots or, *GASP* on skateboards! and of course, having to figure out where you can hop the fence if you forget your code and the guard is off attending to some call.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    The vast majority of the upper class communities in my area are gated communities. What are the people who live in gated communities like? Are they more conservative? Or are they rich elitist liberals.

Why don't they want to socialize with other Americans?

I would prefer an America that is more united and trusting of each other.
    so. you would be ok with a bunch of gansta wanna be kids shooting up in your back yard? pretty much the kind of thing you leave yourself open for with no access control.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Deleted
    Why exactly do they need to be white... unless you're just racist. Are you racist and that's why you rather live just around white people?
    Because whites are safer to live around.

Why exactly do they need to be white... unless you're just racist. Are you racist and that's why you rather live just around white people?

- - - Updated - - -

lmfao this is a joke. Then again I guess I can't expect you to have too good of an argument when you literally messaged me calling me a nigger... people like that tend to have difficulty with critical thought.

Suburbs take up a lot of space... they spread out instead of building up leading to more roads being built leading to people having to travel to get to things they need... which leads to cars being most important... jobs aren't in suburbs which means in order to actually have a job and work you absolutely need a car... cars are debt machines... it has gotten to the point where you have suburban slums where people can't afford to live in better cities and instead live out in suburbs where it is more expensive and inefficient.
    I can be left leaning, and still stand by my statement. Also, you're the person who dismissed gang rape, and called it forgivable crime. So I really wouldn't go around passing judgement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Or a giant sign that says "come steal our shit". Plenty of thieves simply hop the fences or wait until someone lets them in. Most gates arent monitored with actual security guards. Very few have security on the inside or cops that bother patrolling the area.
    Sounds like your gate sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Sounds like your gate sucks.
    People hop the white house fence. It isn't like gates are the be all to end all in security. It is almost like ladders where invented, and that we have opposable thumbs. Most of those places have a couple security onsite at most, they can't be everywhere at once and they are essentially mall cops on their best day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Late capitalist decadence. Walls to keep the unwashed hordes out.

Said walls might prove useful for firing squads for the rich if a peasant uprising ever happens, tough.
    Yah lets just kill rich people for the sake of being rich! It is their fault right?

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    The vast majority of the upper class communities in my area are gated communities. What are the people who live in gated communities like? Are they more conservative? Or are they rich elitist liberals.

Why don't they want to socialize with other Americans?

I would prefer an America that is more united and trusting of each other.
    It's not about being anti-social, it's about security. I live in a gated community and wouldn't have it any other way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Yah lets just kill rich people for the sake of being rich! It is their fault right?
    I think he also forgot that the rich "conservatives" own many of the guns. This isn't 18th century France.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I can be left leaning, and still stand by my statement. Also, you're the person who dismissed gang rape, and called it forgivable crime. So I really wouldn't go around passing judgement.
    Lol... oh god I remember this.

This was when you didn't understand that forgivable doesn't simply mean "I forgive you for your misdeeds" but also means "lesser of two evils"

"Assault is more forgivable than murder" that doesn't mean forgive the person who punched your 5 year old child, that just means since it is more forgivable than killing your child the sentence should be in accordance.

I'm sorry your lack of color when it comes to the English language precludes you from being able to critically think about the many different meanings words have.

Then again you can't put much faith in a person who is going to randomly message posters calling them niggers while pretending they're also not racist.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Because whites are safer to live around.
    Really? Last I checked any upper middle class area was safe regardless of races. And recent studies looking at poor urban white and minority neighborhoods found that both has near identical violent crime rates, but by all means pretend that whites are safer to live around and act as if it has nothing to solely do with socioeconomics and whites just being in a financially better place.