Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't pay either, but I also would have never gotten married in the first place. Marriage is only for men who don't make money or are morons.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2017-07-26 at 12:22 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    unless she can provide proof he forbade her from working its her fault she gave up those years, this isnt the 30s anymore, women are not forbidden from working. Sorry but alimony is the biggest crock of shit ever and the main reason marriages have declined and if they do happen a majority of people are getting prenups. Anyone who doesnt get one is a god damn fool.
    Working has nothing to do with it. Someone is taking care of the kids and home while the other one is working. A marriage is a partnership. Period. This also has nothing to do with alimony, so stop bringing up something that has nothing to do with the case being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    unless she can provide proof he forbade her from working its her fault she gave up those years, this isnt the 30s anymore, women are not forbidden from working.
    Eh marriage compromise is more nuanced than that. For example, one partner gets a promotion and a raise, but has to move to a new city; the other partner has to quit their job and take a new one, perhaps for less benefits/upward mobility/pay.

He's also 66 and from a time where a stay at home wife was more expected. He may have very well expected her to be a housewife.

10 million does seem excessive and if he really doesn't wanna pay its no wonder he choose the route of not paying even if it means Jailtime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    She didnt do anything to earn that money. She doesnt deserve a cent of the money he earned. Screw the gold digging bitch. She can go get her own job. Alimony is bullshit in 2017. It made sense in 1940 when women didnt typically have jobs or work experience. Now its just abused by women who marry a guy with the intent of taking half his shit, after a period of time
    Well fucking said, im glad someone else on this planet agrees with my views!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Working has nothing to do with it. Someone is taking care of the kids and home while the other one is working. A marriage is a partnership. Period. This also has nothing to do with alimony, so stop bringing up something that has nothing to do with the case being discussed.
    10million is a lump sum alimony payment, i dont know why you dont think it has anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    You need 10 million to rebuild?
    Seeing she helped him make his money....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Seeing she helped him make his money....
    Was she his business partner?

Pay $10 million or go to jail for 6 months... sounds like he made a smart "business" decision there. It's hard to argue against basically saving over $55,000 for each day you spend in jail. Sign me up, I could retire before the jail sentence is over

Quote Originally Posted by Agnar View Post
    Pay $10 million or go to jail for 6 months... sounds like he made a smart "business" decision there. It's hard to argue against basically saving over $55,000 for each day you spend in jail. Sign me up, I could retire before the jail sentence is over
    He still has to pay it when he gets out. Is reading that hard?
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Well, considering the woman is now in her sixties, and they were married for forty years she certainly isn't a woman, digging for gold from older men. In addition, it is quite difficult, to start rebuilding a life in your sixties, without any kind of money, and probably next to no retirement funds.

But yeah, it is surely about greedy golddiggers here.
    People in their 60s get social security. She can live off of that

He still has to pay it when he gets out. Is reading that hard?
    If I was him, I'd push my money into a overseas account and move out of country.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    If I was him, I'd push my money into a overseas account and move out of country.
    I'd push her into the sea.

I'd push her into the sea.
    that escalated quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    Yes. A marriage is a partnership. Even when one partner earns most of the money, they are doing so while the other partner provides other things.
    What does someone who sits on the couch watching soaps all day provide?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    They should make a law that says that no one can get married without a prenuptial agreement.
    Uhh what. A prenup is basically an admission that you think your marriage is going to end in divorce. Who would sign up for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Uhh what. A prenup is basically an admission that you think your marriage is going to end in divorce. Who would sign up for that?
    well if it was law, everyone would! Then it would cease to be a moral argument, because it's the law, and now a practical argument.

No its not... Do you even know how the world works?

I can understand if one spouse stays home and takes care of the kids for 20 years, and sacrifices their career opportunities to do so, while the other spouse makes tons of money and up and leaves after 20.
    That should be opt in. Part of the prenup.

NOT something that happens in every marriage.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess you should never drive, then, because wearing a seat belt = admission you'll crash.

Wearing a helmet on the bike? You'll crash.

In today's world in which divorce is above 50% and a lot of people play nice until they tie you down with marriage ( then they cheat/go crazy/use sex as a weapon) not getting a prenup is insane.