Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Majority of these statues were put up in the 20s-40s by white supremacist groups so all this talk of "but muh history!" are just stupid. These statues were specifically typically put up by white racist groups to celebrate just that... "white superiority"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    That was my first thought too. Looking at the picture, was the creature blind? Looks like he had really bad cataracts, if that isn't just lens glare.
    Snooty looks old as fuck man.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    they should make a statue of Harambe instead, it would be much more meaningful. or Cecil the lion.

Who cares about a stupid manatee? or are they making a tribute to the family guy creators?
    manatee's are a big deal in Florida

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm generally anti monument removal, but I'll make an exception for the manatee substitution <3

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Who could possibly disagree with this? Everybody loves manatees.

Get ready for a Snooty statue. Say goodbye to a Confederate monument.

A petition in Bradenton, Fla., is calling for a memorial to Confederate veterans to be replaced with a statue of beloved Snooty the manatee, who died in a tragic tank accident at the weekend only days after celebrating his 69th birthday.

Local media reports that thousands have signed the petition, which is the brainchild of local a resident.

Give him his own statue, stop trying to erase history.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I'm generally anti monument removal, but I'll make an exception for the manatee substitution <3
    Seems no one read the article. They'd relocate the existing monument and put the manatee one where it is now. They aren't completely removing it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Seems no one read the article. They'd relocate the existing monument and put the manatee one where it is now. They aren't completely removing it...
    I read it. I'm still generally anti monument removal, which moving a monument to say, a museum still is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather plaques be added to statues erected to honour causes/people that are frowned upon today, because that way they serve as a reminder of what happened while still denouncing the bad stuff. HOWEVER! A statue for a 69 year old Manatee with such an adorable name as Snooty is clearly well deserved and should totally exist for sheer adorableness. Don't care if they move and replace the other statue with it because "awwwwwwwww" <3
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    I'd rather plaques be added to statues erected to honour causes/people that are frowned upon today, because that way they serve as a reminder of what happened while still denouncing the bad stuff. HOWEVER! A statue for a 69 year old Manatee with such an adorable name as Snooty is clearly well deserved and should totally exist for sheer adorableness. Don't care if move and replace the other statue with it because "awwwwwwwww" <3
    Replace all monuments with cats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Replace all monuments with dogs!
    I fixed your glaringly obvious mistake my dear <3
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    I fixed your glaringly obvious mistake my dear <3
    but you have a cat. how could you?!

10+ Year Old Account
    but you have a cat. how could you?!
    He's practically a dog, and he was an adopted orphan stray who was nice to me when I brought him in from the rain and does not scratch or bite me and so does not possess the worst qualities inherent in cats.
    give up dat booty
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I read it. I'm still generally anti monument removal, which moving a monument to say, a museum still is.
    You might be able to purchase it and move it to your town. Some people might be into monuments for traitors that support slavery, ironically. Having in the town square might be the wrong message.

A local school teacher bought a Lenin statue for cheap in the 1990's. It's a great place to meet friends, "I'm next to the Lenin Statue". You could totally be like, "meet me by the statue for the states rights err slavery guys."

10+ Year Old Account
    You might be able to purchase it and move it to your town. Some people might be into monuments for traitors that support slavery, ironically. Having in the town square might be the wrong message.

A local school teacher bought a Lenin statue for cheap in the 1990's. It's a great place to meet friends, "I'm next to the Lenin Statue". You could totally be like, "meet me by the statue for the states rights err slavery guys."

Some did, some didn't. I'm not about to fall into the trap of "OMG all the southern guys were bad guys and ZOMG OMG" that a lot of non civil war buffs seem to do. Its about as annoying as the Lost Cause type of people.

I just disagree with removing historical shit just because some people don't like the history involved, especially when most individuals were shades of grey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some did, some didn't. I'm not about to fall into the trap of "OMG all the southern guys were bad guys and ZOMG OMG" that a lot of non civil war buffs seem to do. Its about as annoying as the Lost Cause type of people.

I just disagree with removing historical shit just because some people don't like the history involved, especially when most individuals were shades of grey.
    Must have been annoying to see all those statues toppled during the DeBaathification of Iraq, or DeNazification in Germany.

Tell those boys to stop removing painful an inconvenient history!

10+ Year Old Account
    Must have been annoying to see all those statues toppled during the DeBaathification of Iraq, or DeNazification in Germany.

Tell those boys to stop removing painful an inconvenient history!
    If that's what the populace wanted to do, then fine. I'll still disagree with it.

I mean, you can continue to try and trap me with dictators, or even Hitler, but my opinion wont change.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Majority of these statues were put up in the 20s-40s by white supremacist groups so all this talk of "but muh history!" are just stupid.
    The actions of white supremacists in the 20s-40s is also history.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Good idea lets just pretend history didn't happen.
    Meanwhile in red states...

Boards of education are looking to remove slavery happening from their textbooks and school curricula.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    The actions of white supremacists in the 20s-40s is also history.
    I'll grab my pitchfork when they start attempting to remove the civil war from history books and school curricula. On the "history revisionism" scale, taking down statues ranks as a 4.

Out of 100.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Good. Manatee statue is way better than a statue commemorating a bunch of racist traitors.

I'll take a manatee over a bunch of losers any day.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8