Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapo View Post
    Should just mandate covering new building roofs in cities with solar panels instead of wasting that roofspace.
    Solar panels or rooftop gardens to reduce flooding/Co2 emissions and producing oxygen.

Bare rooftops in general are a problem imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Solar panels or rooftop gardens to reduce flooding/Co2 emissions and producing oxygen.

Bare rooftops in general are a problem imo.
    As are lawns. And golf courses.

And home owner associations that prohibit solar panels on streetward roofs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Tell that to the common oilfield worker that has a wife and 3 kids to support. I am sure he and all his buddies will be so excited that green energy takes over oil and shrinks the total job pool.
    Well the whole point of technological progress is that eventually majority of population will not have to work since robots will replace them and those people will live off monthly government allowance. However people are often terrified of this notion so there is huge resistance towards anything that reduces amount of jobs currently. So instead of thinking about future and setting up social systems to deal with inevitable replacement of workers we argue about green energy and how its possibly will reduce amount of jobs available.

Millions of birds are killed by wind turbines every year. Although, they do contribute to a small percentage of bird deaths.

Fun fact: Over half of annual bird deaths are due to collisions with windows and buildings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Millions of birds are killed by wind turbines every year. Although, they do contribute to a small percentage of bird deaths.

Fun fact: Over half of annual bird deaths are due to collisions with windows and buildings.
    What was the point in posting this garbage.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    Totally not a problem. In modern, high voltage grids it can be transported hundreds, if not thousands of kilometers with a minimal loss, which is why some US states purchase Canadian energy when prices are low (and vice versa) and french A-power is occasinally used in Germany or Spain without any problems. It is competitive to ship energy large distances, granted the grid is built. In the developed world, this won't really be an issue.

The time of direct current is far behind us.. AC is here to stay. We can transport those electrons (almost) all we want..
    Hmm, I will take a look into that, I do know that in my country we have an estimated loss of 9% of our production because of the transmission lines.

According to wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ssion#Losses):

"As of 1980, the longest cost-effective distance for direct-current transmission was determined to be 7,000 kilometres (4,300 miles). For alternating current it was 4,000 kilometres (2,500 miles), though all transmission lines in use today are substantially shorter than this.[18]"

Wave power has definite upsides if people are needing a desalination plant. However, the construction could harm the environment.

Tell that to the common oilfield worker that has a wife and 3 kids to support. I am sure he and all his buddies will be so excited that green energy takes over oil and shrinks the total job pool.
    I will. I'll also tell that to the guy making radios, tubes for televisions, and steam engines for trains. I'll tell everyone who is less efficient, or produces an inferior product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    "As of 1980, the longest cost-effective distance for direct-current transmission was determined to be 7,000 kilometres (4,300 miles). For alternating current it was 4,000 kilometres (2,500 miles), though all transmission lines in use today are substantially shorter than this.[18]"
    Translation : It was cost-effective using 1980s technology to transfer from the middle of the country to either coast using AC or from coast to coast using DC.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Translation : It was cost-effective using 1980s technology to transfer from the middle of the country to either coast using AC or from coast to coast using DC.
    I laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if trump builds that wall and puts solar panels along it, like some of the plans, that'd be a shitload of solar energy that's not taking up very much usable land.

can also build the solar shit in uninhabitable places, like death valley and stuff.
    Tons of energy at a place where no soul actually lives. On a wall in a terrible angle to minimize efficiency. Not to mention that people will just steal them .. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Tons of energy at a place where no soul actually lives. On a wall in a terrible angle to minimize efficiency. Not to mention that people will just steal them .. lol
    i'm mostly joking about that. i mean, the energy can be transported to where it's needed though if they did do that.

i don't want a wall because of the effects on the ecosystem it'll have. don't really care about the people trying to come here illegally.

The size isnt that much, its less space than you use for coal mining.

You are wrong on both accounts.

Green energy does take up less lands and creates more jobs than conventional energy sources.
    This has be posted on this forum multiple times.

- - - Updated - - -

That is actually a pretty fair reason if you are an American. It messes with your status quo as top nation on earth. Realizing human beings are a greedy power seeking lot, Americans and other top OPEC countries may not take kindly to phasing out of oil.
    Sure, but they won't ahve a choice because oil is not limitless, and rather than burn it we should keep it for all the other uses we need it for.
    Like medicine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Biggest downside to green energy is that energy rich countries like the US, Russia and Saudi Arabia won't make as much money in the future.

The US being the largest producer of oil atm.
    and one of the largest consumers, no?

10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of downsides to "green energy", especially considering constant growth in production and humanity needing more and more energy, eventually it will have the same effect on environment as coal plants.

We shouldn't aim to replace everything with "green energy", we should still be using fossil fuel for regions that can't support said "green energy" and when it's more effective to use fossil fuels than "green energy", we need good means to store energy first, then we can talk about going full-scale "green"

When we will start building solar panels, wind turbines and hyrdoplants on a scale to completely replace all fossil energy we will end up in the same environmental crisis
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2017-07-27 at 07:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you can stop with personal attacks and actually address the potential problems. I am very sorry to you that people actually need jobs and money to survive in the real world.

the problem is not losing jobs, it's the distribution of wealth, progress must not be slowed
    you have to work only because the level of progress is too low. if you lived in a world with almost infinite ressources, thing that progress can allow, you would not need to work unless forced to contribute in order to keep progressing even further

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    the problem is not losing jobs, it's the distribution of wealth, progress must not be slowed
    you have to work only because the level of progress is too low. if you lived in a world with almost infinite ressources, thing that progress can allow, you would not need to work unless forced to contribute in order to keep progressing even further
    Well we currently move towards "mass production" and not towards "progress" as humanity, which is a problem, because we leech more resources to do more of the same - not to make something new. This leads to extreme pollution (garbage) and extreme power consumption (cars, electricity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i'm mostly joking about that. i mean, the energy can be transported to where it's needed though if they did do that.

i don't want a wall because of the effects on the ecosystem it'll have. don't really care about the people trying to come here illegally.
    The issue is more that generating energy is way more efficient if you do it in one place and only transform it once to feed it into the long distance grid. If you have thousands of individual panels along a wall you'd have many smal transformation points. That's less efficient and costs alot more because you need alot of transformers.

I wouldn't worry too much about the eco system, the thing would be a glorified fence in the end with more holes than swiss cheese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Well we currently move towards "mass production" and not towards "progress" as humanity, which is a problem, because we leech more resources to do more of the same - not to make something new. This leads to extreme pollution (garbage) and extreme power consumption (cars, electricity)
    are we ? I'm not seeing any numbers, but it looks like to me that green energy and nature gets more and more respect. I expect the situation to improve as the newer generation replace the old under educated generation