Thread: [Movie] Dunkirk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Just went in to watch the movie and have to say i really enjoyed it, especially the scenes with the spitfires. Another thing i liked is that it kinda "breaks" from the standard movie model that we have. Yes we follow the story from 3 different point of views, but at the same time i wouldnt really call any of them "main characters". We know close to nothing about the characters we are following, there is not a lot of dialog, just the suspense of an impending attack.

I can understand why people wouldn't like the movie, but well each to their own.

Dunkirk under fire by commentators: BBC, Bloomberg, other media criticize Nolan for whitewashing Dunkirk and ignoring the role Indian soldiers played.

Does Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk ignore the role of Indian army?
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    Christopher Nolan's epic World War Two film, Dunkirk, which tells the story of the mass evacuation of Allied troops from the northern coast of France in 1940, has been getting glowing reviews in India.

But many are glowering over Nolan turning a blind eye to the role of Indian soldiers in the battle. The Times of India wrote that their "significant contribution" was missing from Nolan's "otherwise brilliant" work. Writing for Bloomberg View, columnist Mihir Sharma said the film "adds to the falsehood that plucky Britons stood alone against Nazi Germany once France fell, when, in fact, hundreds of millions of imperial subjects stood, perforce, with them".

I mean, you should know by now that Nolan is a mix of arty farty nonsense and blockbuster filmmaking.

That combination is hit or miss I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    I'm even more excited to see it. Nolan hasn't made a bad movie.
    Dark Knight Rises was a trainwreck.

Otherwise I've liked all his movies (that I've seen) to one extent or another. Interstellar was a mixed bag. The Prestige and Memento were great. Inception was pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Saw DUNKIRK this morning.. It aint like your normal WW2 film.

Full of explosions. It is a flowing film combined with the WW2 Tommys on Dunkirk, the Boats out to rescue the guys on the beach.
    And the Spitfire Pilot (Tom Hardy) all rolled into one.

A very good movie & not the usual War Movie

Hans Zimmer needs an Academy Award.. The Soundtrack Music was EXCEPTIONAL.
    Last edited by Blobfish; 2017-07-27 at 11:12 AM.

Sure, what a great event to make a movie on! "Like hell I gonna die for those frogs, let's drop my weapon and run away!" It's probably even makes us sympathize to those paultron shits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I mean, you should know by now that Nolan is a mix of arty farty nonsense and blockbuster filmmaking.

That combination is hit or miss I suppose.
    People calling Nolan "arty farty" strikes me as hilariously low-brow, but YMMW.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    People calling Nolan "arty farty" strikes me as hilariously low-brow, but YMMW.
    Like I said, a mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Nolans best film since The Dark Knight.

People in this thread calling out the Brits for retreating don't understand history or warfare.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    So I've waited patiently to give everyone who was going to see Dunkirk the weekend to do so, come back and bitterly contest my negative review. I'm disappointed. I was expecting a fight - to have to vigorously defend my views about this boring, over-rated movies from a horde of die-hard Nolanites. But there's been nothing. Not a peep in this thread.

Does this mean I was right and all the critics were wrong? This movie was shit, wasn't it? 94 Metascore. 92% Rottentomatoes. MY. FAT. STINKIN'. ASS.
    You really can't get over the fact that not everyone agrees with you, can you.

Anyway, saw it, I liked it a lot but I think a part is that is because I'm a bit of a WW2 nerd. The movie did spend more time on setups and context than usual, so much so that in parts it seems like a documentary more than a movie. That said, I'm OK with the fact that it's not a conventional war epic with a protagonist that you're supposed to root for, a cast of secondary characters mostly here to die in order to advance the protagonists's story arc, and numberless red shirts that get slaughtered to demonstrate man's inhumanity to man.

The movie is more about Dunkirk the actual event, rather than being about character X with Dunkirk serving mostly as background. Whenever that is better or not is in the eyes of the beholder, I liked it personally.

I thought it was alright

I liked the movie. I didn't get up and make a snack in the middle of it which is how I judge a good movie from a bad movie.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Dunkirk under fire by commentators: BBC, Bloomberg, other media criticize Nolan for whitewashing Dunkirk and ignoring the role Indian soldiers played.

Does Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk ignore the role of Indian army?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vW3fRIIVN-c/hqdefault.jpg
    Those evil white people!

How dare they not emphasize the contribution of SOME of ~360 Indian soldiers (average British company back then was three platoons of ~30 soldiers, ~90 total) in an evacuation of 330,000 allied soldiers!?!?!???!?

Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    What is well known, she told me, is that four companies of the Royal Indian Army Service Corps, including a unit of the Bikaner State forces, served in France during the campaign on the Western Front, and some were evacuated from Dunkirk.
    #fuckwhitepeople

This is unacceptable and Christopher Nolan is basically literally Hitler.

/s

I hate SJWs so much.
    Last edited by I Push Buttons; 2017-07-29 at 10:25 AM.

It's INCREDIBLE! But people are blind and deaf... physically and emotionally too it seems.

It used barely any CGI, and it wasn't a standard mainstream Americanized action-packed movie with cliched characters.
    It didn't need any elaborate dialogues or "heroes".
    Nolan conveyed the emotions through classic cinematography and through a haunting score (music track) by Hans Zimmer. It's a masterpiece. It's more about humanity and our struggle to survive. War isn't "fun" as some films portray it to be... War is about survival, death, sacrifice, betrayal and being in the present moment at all times.

I was blown away. A masterpiece.
    Last edited by Kynario; 2017-07-29 at 10:20 AM.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

It was really good. Not one of my favorite Nolan movies, but I think that has more to do with the subject matter than the execution of the film, since generally war movies is a tough sell for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just glad it beat the Emoji movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    I'm just glad it beat the Emoji movie...
    1) Rank doesn't matter, just the numbers.

2) Dunkirk was in its second weekend, while Emoji was in its first, the "Dunkirk barely beat Emoji movie" story is lame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    1) Rank doesn't matter, just the numbers.

2) Dunkirk was in its second weekend, while Emoji was in its first, the "Dunkirk barely beat Emoji movie" story is lame.
    I don't care. I'm just glad it beat the Emoji movie...

The Guardian's take on Dunkirk:

What a surprise that Nigel Farage has endorsed the new fantasy-disguised-as-historical war film, Dunkirk. Christopher Nolan’s movie is an inadvertently timely, thinly veiled Brexiteer fantasy in which plucky Britons heroically retreat from the dangerous shores of Europe.
    Why the lack of Indian and African faces in Dunkirk matters

Deleted
    How many Indian faces would be enough, do you have a percentage number or anything like that?

You know, just so we can let the next director who makes a film about a predominantly white conflict know precisely how many different races he needs to include to hit the diversity quota.

The comments on that article are a complete farce as well, no Scots in the film? One of the "main" characters is Scottish and the Highlanders are in one of the major scenes in the film, just because they didn't slap them with stupid over the top accents so that the yanks would be able to differentiate doesn't mean they aren't Scottish.

It's like people don't even watch the film.
    Last edited by mmoc8116b97f51; 2017-08-02 at 08:01 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    a predominantly white conflict
    Not sure about this comment.

The Film was decent, not really memorable. I remember tom hardy flying about in a plane and some tense drowny stuff. Otherwise its a hard to recall much substance.

The film does seem to largely ignore the french.

I liked Farage trying to make a Brexit point not sure what it was, something about the British shitting themselves and leaving the French to the Wehrmacht.