Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Why? When it's achievable by OC?
    Do you have 4000MHz on your RAM? No? Then you can't achieve it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Holofernes View Post
    in ram, having low latency is more important than a few megahertz. Thats why i invested into expensive cl 14 / 3200 ram. It was a very good decision. For ram, getting a decent speed at low latency is best bet u can get. 4000 ram with cl 18 would not be faster than cl 14 3000. Its simple math.
    High Bus speed and low latency would be best prepositions for good ram.
    Maybe DDR5 will improve on the latency?
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    Do you have 4000MHz on your RAM? No? Then you can't achieve it.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe DDR5 will improve on the latency?
    Wait really? It's these here I got: https://www.proshop.dk/RAM/GSkill-Tr...R-32GB/2531833

Tested - 3200 MHz - 1.35 V - CL14 - 14-14-14-34
    SPD - 2133 MHz - 1.2 V

15fps ?! omg ...?! That's huge! And people here saying it's not noticeable .. MY GPU won't be bottleneck - 1080 Ti
    No, you're not going to get 15fps.

Only one site claimed this and other reputable sites could not reproduce anything like it.

Most of them got -at best- 2-3 fps massively overclocking their RAM.

Intel chips (at least current designs) simply dont gain that much from RAM past certain speeds outside of very specific use cases (of which gaming is NOT one).

Same with dual-channel and quad-channel setups (largely worthless outside of very specific use cases, of which gaming, again, is not one).

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bacially, yeah.. just to be able to do it. And also i'm streaming which requires A LOT of firepower from the system, hence I gained +20-30 FPS by OC'ing my CPU. That's why I thought I might be able to gain more FPS by playing around with the rams as well.

This is from BF1 with streaming going on:
    http://imgur.com/a/iA4Y2

The display shows the average difference.
    As Cilraaz has said. With those temps on you cpu, i would star looking at the cpu OC first. Those are really high temps for a oc when gaming
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Wait really? It's these here I got: https://www.proshop.dk/RAM/GSkill-Tr...R-32GB/2531833

Tested - 3200 MHz - 1.35 V - CL14 - 14-14-14-34
    SPD - 2133 MHz - 1.2 V
    Let me spell it out to you: YOUR 3200MHz RAM WILL NOT ACHIEVE 4000MHz BY OVERCLOCKING.

You are crazy lucky if you reach 3600MHz, imho.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-07-25 at 10:20 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Let me spell it out to you: YOUR 3200MHz RAM WILL NOT ACHIEVE 4000MHz BY OVERCLOCKING.

You are crazy lucky if you reach 3600MHz, imho.
    And why will they not?

He just needs to learn how to OC RAM the prober way. But there is really no reason to do it, because the gain is so small
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    And why will they not?

He just needs to learn how to OC RAM the prober way. But there is really no reason to do it, because the gain is so small
    Because in order to overclock the RAM by 25% and it not burning up he would need to have fans on the RAM that's why.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    15fps ?! omg ...?! That's huge! And people here saying it's not noticeable .. MY GPU won't be bottleneck - 1080 Ti
    Did you not read his entire post?

"But then practically no other uploaders/sites were able to reproduce the results even in the same game and areas/benchmarks and without a GPU bottleneck being a possibility (although there are many occurrences of this)"

Please...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah, uh...overclocking RAM will not really do much, unless you run a lot of programs at once.

If you're looking for performance in games, CPU/GPU/SSD is the way to upgrade, not RAM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    80C on a 7700k without delidding while running IntelBurnTest is not unreasonable, with a proper cooling solution. 81C outside of a stress test is high, regardless. It's not dangerously high, but it's far from "well that's done, on to overclocking my RAM!".
    Not to mention he thinks having Google Chrome open with 20 tabs is a big deal to boast about. I regularly have 70+ Chrome tabs open... it just populates RAM, it doesn't work any recent generation CPUs... lol...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Yeah the RAM OC project is off.. You guys scared the shit out of me :O Better leave them as they are since I might as well fry them..

Thanks anyway for your inputs. Appreciate it.

Yeah the RAM OC project is off.. You guys scared the shit out of me :O Better leave them as they are since I might as well fry them..

Thanks anyway for your inputs. Appreciate it.
    No, no, no... please go ahead and BBQ your RAM and be sure to show us pictures.

Tie some bacon to the RAM sticks and get it done, bro.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-07-26 at 07:48 AM.

No, no, no... please go ahead and BBQ your RAM and be sure to show us pictures.

Tie some bacon to the RAM sticks and get it done, bro.
    Funny guy you are ehh?

Funny guy you are ehh?
    Well, I try.

15+ Year Old Account
    Because in order to overclock the RAM by 25% and it not burning up he would need to have fans on the RAM that's why.
    LOL no you don't need fans on the RAM to do a 25% OC. Just need to know what the hell you are doing and OP did not know what he was doing

You just need to know how to up the voltage little by little and what to do with timing and lantecy AND you have to be lucky with the sticks you got and you have to have en good Motherboard. Not all sticks oc well

My sticks crashes at 3500MHz no matter what i do, but a friend of mine who has the same sticks, runs them at 3800MHz stable and he is not using any fans

So again you don't need fans for the RAM. You just need to be lucky with the RAM sticks you got

You do realize that when you buy RAM that is DDR4 4000 it's the SAME EXACT RAM as 2133, just factory OCed? ALL DDR4 RAM is 2133. All of it. Every last one. Some come with a factory OC, some don't.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's some DDR4 4000. Certainly doesn not look like it has fans on it to me. Just the same heatsink and the 3000

ALL RAM IS THE SAME, some just has a factory OC on it already.

However, just like CPUs, some are better OCers than others. So if you buy DDR4 4000, it's still the same RAM, it has just been binned and tested to work at 4000. That said, most RAM that is lower speeds will OC to pretty close to 4000 just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do bear in mind that overclocking will quite possibly shorten the life of your component(s). It's an exchange for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You do realize that when you buy RAM that is DDR4 4000 it's the SAME EXACT RAM as 2133, just factory OCed? ALL DDR4 RAM is 2133. All of it. Every last one. Some come with a factory OC, some don't.

There's some DDR4 4000. Certainly doesn not look like it has fans on it to me. Just the same heatsink and the 3000

ALL RAM IS THE SAME, some just has a factory OC on it already.

However, just like CPUs, some are better OCers than others. So if you buy DDR4 4000, it's still the same RAM, it has just been binned and tested to work at 4000. That said, most RAM that is lower speeds will OC to pretty close to 4000 just fine.
    What?! 2400MHz DDR4 is really 2133MHz DDR4? What a complete rip-off!

It's a good thing that DDR5 is coming in 2018.
    Last edited by Amalaric; 2017-07-27 at 09:31 AM.

What?! 2400MHz DDR4 is really 2133MHz DDR4? What a complete rip-off!

It's a good thing that DDR5 is coming in 2018.
    Yes, it is. The only difference is it has been tested to work at 2400, but most 2133 will work at 2400. DDR3 was the same way as well, DDR5 will be the same too. There will be a standard speed and anything different is just a factory OC. CPUs are the same way. You do realize that there is not really much difference between a 7700k and a 7500. They both started off exactly the same, then the 7500 had some parts cut off or disabled. GPUs too. Often times, they are the same exact thing, sometimes with stuff disabled simply by BIOS so you can upgrade your card flashing your BIOS. RAM, they can't even really cut anything out or disable it. They just don't give it XMP Profiles for anything beyond what it is rated. You can still manually OC it yourself though, no problem.

While we're at it can someone please explain how big of a difference would be on gaming between like 1333/1600 ddr3 ram and 2400 ddr4 (for example). It's like the only thing in my pc that is relatively old and I don't know if I should be bothered by it.
    Thanks in advance.