Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    You need to resolve the IP it to see if it's telemetry related. This introduces significant network delays, load on the router, the dns server and it's useless, since the domain name doesn't actually tell you anything most of the time. It's not like most of the telemetry domains start with telemetry.give_us_your_data.microsoft.com
    What the fuck dude? It doesn't matter how it starts, it's if you know it's Microsoft IP or not.
    You just block any microsoft traffic. - problem solved as windows should be able to operate without internet connection just fine.
    As I said, the only way to do this is to plain block everything, which makes the OS useless.
    Lol no. L2block.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Then use them if they are working fine for you.

But if you want to keep playing Blizzard games then be on 7 or later.
    I'm currently using Win 7 and 10 on various machines.

I'm just saying that it's a fallacy that you need to upgrade Windows if you're "serious about performance". That's silly.

In fact I'd say that software ceasing to run on those systems (not just unsupported, but literally IF < Win ___ THEN EXIT) is the one real disincentive to old versions of Windows. Otherwise they work fine for decades after MS ceases support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'm currently using Win 7 and 10 on various machines.

I'm just saying that it's a fallacy that you need to upgrade Windows if you're "serious about performance". That's silly.

In fact I'd say that software ceasing to run on those systems (not just unsupported, but literally IF < Win ___ THEN EXIT) is the one real disincentive to old versions of Windows. Otherwise they work fine for decades after MS ceases support.
    From my personal experience I've noticed a slight performance increase on 10. But I don't imagine it's the same for everyone else at all.

I have 10 with 7 on dual boot.

I actually have a Windows 98 Gaming PC for legacy gaming and a DOS one.

Deleted
    If you're using XP or Vista in 2017 you're doing it wrong.
    Hell I couldn't even use 7 cause there are no GPU drivers for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    What GPU are you using if I may ask?

I'm on a 1050 and I have drivers for 10 and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    It's not only not silly, it's the truth.

If you care about performance, get the latest version of the OS. To get the latest fixes to issues that harm performance, access to latest technologies that gain performance and support for latest hardware / access to advanced features of hardware in general.

There are exceptions like "hey, it is now crashing where it worked before", but that's because the world is a complex thing. The general rule is completely true - want performance? then use latest software / hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    Win 7 has drivers for the latest GPUs. Dunno how you can think otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Win 7 has drivers for the latest GPUs. Dunno how you can think otherwise.
    Can confirm. Gtx 1050 here as I said and there is an option for Windows 7 for me.

Deleted
    Windows 7 is currently 50% of the market despite all their desperate attempts to force people on 10.
    If you give up support good luck retaining your income as a dev so nobody will give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Windows 7 is currently 50% of the market despite all their desperate attempts to force people on 10.
    If you give up support good luck retaining your income as a dev so nobody will give it up.
    They are not for 7 at all.

They will probably consider it after 2020 if the usage share plummets to lower than 10. And I don't mean 1% lower I mean like 4% usage share on 7.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    It's not only not silly, it's the truth.

If you care about performance, get the latest version of the OS. To get the latest fixes to issues that harm performance, access to latest technologies that gain performance and support for latest hardware / access to advanced features of hardware in general.

There are exceptions like "hey, it is now crashing where it worked before", but that's because the world is a complex thing. The general rule is completely true - want performance? then use latest software / hardware.
    Complete bullshit. Mobile Phones were notoriously slowed down due to upgrades. It's a well known problem and you can easily google it. Some argued it's intentional to entice buying newer models and you could question that but the fact that it's slowing down due to "newer features" remains.

- - - Updated - - -

They are not for 7 at all.

They will probably consider it after 2020 if the usage share plummets to lower than 10. And I don't mean 1% lower I mean like 4% usage share on 7.
    If you didn't upgrade yet why would you in the next 3 years? Not a single product gives reason to switch and there is none on the horizon either.

Complete bullshit. Mobile Phones were notoriously slowed down due to upgrades. It's a well known problem and you can easily google it. Some argued it's intentional to entice buying newer models and you could question that but the fact that it's slowing down due to "newer features" remains.

- - - Updated - - -

If you didn't upgrade yet why would you in the next 3 years? Not a single product gives reason to switch and there is none on the horizon either.
    I never said in 3 years they will just suddenly stop supporting it. After 2020. When the usage share has dipped to very low amounts.

I admit speculation on my part. We just have to wait and see what happens.

We are talking about PCs, not mobile phones. I don't know what's going on with mobile phones, I kind of don't see them slowing down either, but I am not qualified to judge. With PCs I do know and what I said is true. If you want performance, you get the latest and greatest, that's the general rule. Newer features are a blip on the radar. Yes, you have to configure things and new things come with new stupidities. But all of this is trivially solvable. What isn't solvable is getting good performance out of old hardware / software. You just hit the ceiling.
    Last edited by rda; 2017-07-27 at 02:12 PM.

Deleted
    I never said in 3 years they will just suddenly stop supporting it. After 2020. When the usage share has dipped to very low amounts.
    The question is why would the usage share drop if people haven't switched yet and there is no new reason to switch? It's more likely they will just keep using their system since they evidently don't care to upgrade considering they haven't done it already.

Gotta keep selling the new models. Actual differences are small, so better bloat the OS to make it run worse on older hardware (and subsequently, negate any possible performance gains the newer hardware would have give :P )

Deleted
    It is the fastest way to do this. There is a reason Microsoft is trying to copy everything Linux does in the enterprise department. There is nothing that comes even close to the usability of Bash and the standard Linux tools. Not to mention that everything in Linux by design is a file, and every command that works with files can work with it. The possibilities of what I can do with these kind of tools are unimaginable.

I can literally intercept and record communication between processes and the Linux kernel. Think about how powerful this is. There is nothing like this on Windows and there will never be.
    Spoken like someone who never used powershell .

I prefer linux but lets get some of these fanboyism things straight and that is that both things are from unix not linux

Sure ptrace and it's frontend strace is more elegant on linux but it is available on windows aswell with a bit of hackery

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    We are talking about PCs, not mobile phones. I don't know what's going on with mobile phones, I kind of don't see them slowing down either, but I am not qualified to judge. With PCs I do know and what I said is true. If you want performance, you get the latest and greatest, that's the general rule. Newer features are a blip on the radar. Yes, you have to configure things and new things come with new stupidities. But all of this is trivially solvable.
    Network managing turned stupid in win8 compared to 7 for example. "Everything turns better" is not applicaple even for windows. There's a long list of shit and personally the small performance improvement is not worth it.

Network managing turned stupid in win8 compared to 7 for example. "Everything turns better" is not applicaple even for windows. There's a long list of shit and personally the small performance improvement is not worth it.
    There are always drawbacks. What's important is that 95% of the changes is movement forward and just 5% is movement back. Welcome to real life.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aluser View Post
    The simple counter argument to all your ranting is dx11 which is only available on Windows 7 or later
    You mean Windows Vista or later.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Hard-coded domain names need the resolution too.
    TLS is working over TCP/IP, so the establishing connection and name resolution is done by the underlying, unencrypted connection.

Again, an astounishing technical illiteracy typical for a Linux user.
    What is the use of the fourth value of the coff header?