Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The question isn't really if he deserved it or not.
    The question is, is it really automated cause this will open the doors to abuse at no end.

If there is a magical number you can reach it, maybe not in a day or in a week, but what about a month?

Well, we will see what comes but yes, maybe this is a can of worms opened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatsOurEric View Post
    First of all, learn to read. Its absolutely essential, so you don't make a fool of yourself.

Secondly, I said only "COMP", i.e., "COMPETITIVE."

Competitive DEMANDS players be able to communicate well, have a general level of skill,
    and have a knowledge of the maps as well as character strengths & weaknesses. Players
    that are lacking in either are going to have difficulty in the game, and players who are
    not capable of playing a role that is needed, is little more than a detriment, burden, etc
    to the team.

This isn't just my opinion, its an opinion shared by anyone who plays anything competitive.
    If you main one hero and one hero only, you have no business playing Comp. Comp has a
    purpose/goal, and that's to climb the ranks. As the saying goes, "you are only as strong as
    your weakest link." If someone is incapable of playing all three roles, then they do NOT
    belong in Competitive. They cannot climb with just one character. Even pros know when to
    swap roles when they need to, and even they have hours on other characters.

Seriously, there are characters that are made completely for beginners. For dps, its Soldier
    76, for healers is Lucio, and for tanks its Reinhardt. There's no excuse for no one not being
    able to at least play either one.

Now for Arcade Mode, Quick Play, VS. A.I., or any PvE events? You're free to play whoever.

Because its those "I only main X" that end up fucking over not just me, but other people on
    this forum as well as other players. And that is completely 100% selfish. If you cannot meet
    the demands of a certain mode, then you have no right to play it. Simple as that.

Hey that's fine. I really enjoy playing mostly Defense heroes. But I know that the characters there
    aren't always the best choices depending on the comp the enemy has. And I can't just tell my
    teammates,

"Hey I only play X, so if they're countering me, you guys gotta protect/heal/swap to counter
    them."

That right there? That's fucking selfish. Its also a huge detriment to the team. Because now they have
    to work even harder to carry you because you aren't able to do much since the enemy team is having
    a field day wrecking your shit. You are now for all intents and purposes, a handicap.

So if your team loses, guess what? You're to blame, and they're right in blaming you.

I think I've answered your question in this response.

For the most part, most people won't complain for those two, because they're generally good picks.
    However, even those two can face opponents that shut them down, and its still necessary to know
    another character to help either neutralize the enemy team's hero picks, or to help remove the
    advantage the enemy hero has on you.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for you to get specifically banned. I am merely saying that
    just saying "I only play X" is a selfish mindset and action in that of itself, and in competitive,
    it absolutely is the cause of a lot of toxicity and especially a lot of losses, which causes the
    toxicity in the first place.
    As long as i remember, you don't need level 300 to join competitive.... so yeah maybe you can expect some newbie in low elo comp time to time, or it's too absurd?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is a broken system. The guy should be allowed to play what he enjoys most. Its not his fault blizzard cannot properly balance them all so they can all be played well. He shouldn't be punished because people reported him because he dared to play what he enjoyed.

I can get that playing a character may hinder a team horribly, but that speaks more towards blizzards failures at balance and less towards the players. Glad I haven't bought this game. No way would I want to play a game that can get me banned Just because I dare to play what I enjoy.
    He is allowed to play what he wants. The issue is that he's clickbaiting with the whole 'I played Sombra and Torb and got banned'. He got banned because he asked people in games to report him and racked up over a hundred in less than twenty, probably more like twelve, hours. There has then been ample proof that he's a toxic reddit troll who has a habit of deleting his posts in an effort to try and look this latest post 'legit'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    That's pretty much /thread, as far as I'm concerned.

If you're playing off-meta, fine, there are times when it can work. If it isn't working, and you aren't contributing, then switch. Switching heroes is an integral part of the game.

Refusing to switch when you're dragging your team down with your pick is poor teamwork.

Stop being selfish. This is a team game. If you don't want to be a team player, go play elimination or custom games or whatever, not competitive.
    Also all of this. So much all of this.

Deleted
    Overwatch is in a very bad spot right now for competitive. I flat out stopped playing competitive. I rather have the ability to play all characters I want any time I want in quick play. Recently a huge serge of players started playing overwatch that came from some other community. Based on how toxic I guess League of Legends? Is there any correlations to support this theory?

Quote Originally Posted by KronosIII View Post
    Overwatch is in a very bad spot right now for competitive. I flat out stopped playing competitive. I rather have the ability to play all characters I want any time I want in quick play. Recently a huge serge of players started playing overwatch that came from some other community. Based on how toxic I guess League of Legends? Is there any correlations to support this theory?
    Playing what character you want any time you want in a team-based competitive environment is the very definition of toxic behavior.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Playing what character you want any time you want in a team-based competitive environment is the very definition of toxic behavior.

This is a game for enjoyment correct? Is this a job or something? I'm not payed to play correct?

I and others will use their time to enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy it. If I want to go into quickplay and be a horrible widow player because I ant to improve I will.

With your logic people should never play anything. Same cancerous people asking for ilevel 915 to do NORMAL TOS with achievement. Look at a mirror.

This is a game not a job, don't be toxic. The only toxic people are the ones bullying the widow to change.

This is a game for enjoyment correct? Is this a job or something? I'm not payed to play correct?

I and others will use their time to enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy it. If I want to go into quickplay and be a horrible widow player because I ant to improve I will.

With your logic people should never play anything. Same cancerous people asking for ilevel 915 to do NORMAL TOS with achievement. Look at a mirror.

This is a game not a job, don't be toxic. The only toxic people are the ones bullying the widow to change.
    Woah, I said nothing about quickplay. Quickplay is not a competitive environment, it's for dicking around. This entire thread is about competitive.

Deleted
    Woah, I said nothing about quickplay. Quickplay is not a competitive environment, it's for dicking around. This entire thread is about competitive.
    It still stands. Majority of players are maybe only good at 2 characters for competitive. If they pick a character they are good at they will climb regardless of loss and wins. That is why there is 40% win rate widows or 80% win rate torbs in grand master. If I want to pick torb in competitive I should be able to. (easily after some recent finding that torb counters DIVE)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    You can switch heroes at any time, and counterpicking is an integral part of game design. Each hero has counters, and you need to adjust your team comp accordingly.

If someone is playing competitive, they're expected to pick and switch heroes as needed to help support their team. If someone refuses to switch off of a hero that is poorly suited to the situation (IE playing Torbjorn or Widow on attack, which is usually an ineffective strategy) then they're negatively impacting five other players for their own personal enjoyment.

This selfish "I can do whatever I want, fuck my team" attitude has no place in a team oriented game, and definitely shouldn't be accepted behavior in ranked competitive play.
    Widow attack is usually very effective. But whatever.

People are always going to scapegoat certain heroes, irrespective of the performance and it's the same heroes that get that scapegoating over and over and over again. If Widow is getting countered on your back line, what's happening to Zen and Ana? Same thing. That's not all on Widow; it begs the question of what the other three players on the team are doing.

But, of course, report Widow for bad teamplay. Not the whiner who's scapegoating (probably the other DPS), where the actual bad teamplay is coming from. That's the problem with this system. The scapegoat heroes are too ingrained into the community, 100% you know what the "example" is going to be when people ask "is this bad teamplay", they just want to reaffirm and justify their scapegoating.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Widow attack is usually very effective. But whatever.

People are always going to scapegoat certain heroes, irrespective of the performance and it's the same heroes that get that scapegoating over and over and over again. If Widow is getting countered on your back line, what's happening to Zen and Ana? Same thing. That's not all on Widow; it begs the question of what the other three players on the team are doing.

But, of course, report Widow for bad teamplay. Not the whiner who's scapegoating (probably the other DPS), where the actual bad teamplay is coming from. That's the problem with this system. The scapegoat heroes are too ingrained into the community, 100% you know what the "example" is going to be when people ask "is this bad teamplay", they just want to reaffirm and justify their scapegoating.
    If you're being countered, you need to switch - period. If Ana is getting jumped on by the Winston, she would switch to a more mobile support, such as Mercy or Lucio. If Widow is being jumped on by Winston, she should switch to something that counters the Winston, such as Reaper. If the team already has a Reaper, let the Reaper know and he should be ready to turn around and jump on the Winston when he jumps in. This is a team game. The team needs to work together to get the job done. However, if there is a Pharah raining justice onto your team and you have no hit scan heroes, who should switch? One of the DPS should switch. Doesn't really matter who. I would say if you have a Junkrat, he should switch since he's getting countered by the Pharah harder than say a Genji or Tracer. It all depends on the comp and what's working and what isn't.

When I play, and we have a torb on attack, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I usually say, "Hey Torb, we'll see how this works. If you are having trouble getting a turret down because you're being countered/focused can you switch please?". Most of the time, they are cool with that. If the end up being toxic about it, I just see how the match goes. A lot of the time people will surprise you.

If you ask someone to switch because they are being ineffective and the refuse. That is bad team play. If they say "Does someone else mind switching to 76? I am not the best at hit scan" then THAT is good team play. You are working with your team to figure out a solution. Being a dick to your team because they ask you to switch is NOT the way to go about things.

As other people above have said, this is about COMP. NOT QP. In QP, play what you want. That is what it is there for. In Comp, play what you can play best and go from there. If the opposing team is countering you, SWITCH. I have had really bad games with McCree/Tracer/76 and I have switch with healers and we won the game. You work with people. That is what this is all about. It is a selfish mentality to say "I will only play what I want to play". You need to switch to counter the opposing teams comp. Otherwise it is an uphill battle.

A lot of this comes down to self assessment. You need to be able to see that you are being countered. If you are, switch. Don't try to force a square peg into a round hole. That will just make your job harder for you. People need to realize that just because you have the most fun on Torb, doesn't mean he is right for every situation. You wouldn't use a screwdriver to hammer a nail would you? The screwdriver can get the job done (if you use the handle to nail it in) but there are much better ways to do things.

Please, if you are losing a game of comp, keep your head even and work with your team. Figure out what works best and go with it.

If you are being countered you don't need to switch, a smart person would switch but making bad choices isn't a reportable offense.

I mean if being countered is reportable then you can't have any tanks on your team because I'm playing Reaper and I counter all tanks. Tanks are health packs to Reaper. Nom nom nom.
    If you push a button that finds you a 'random group' and it gives you a random group of people with random skill and random knowledge then you have no right to complain that a 'random group' button did what it was designed to do. The fault lies in your inability to make friends to play with instead of relying on a button designed to be random. It is a 'random group' button, not a 'best of the best' button.

Who are you to decide that quick play is for dicking around? A lot of people don't enjoy competetive simply cause they are forced to play fotm characters or they'll have a bunch of people crying. Why are they not allowed to play characters they enjoy playing in an environment where the aim is to win, which also has a different rule set?

Seriously though, aside from the obvious deliberate needling of the system, a "sombra and torbjorn main" is a troll 99% of the time and trolls can enjoy their fucking bans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

It still stands. Majority of players are maybe only good at 2 characters for competitive. If they pick a character they are good at they will climb regardless of loss and wins. That is why there is 40% win rate widows or 80% win rate torbs in grand master. If I want to pick torb in competitive I should be able to. (easily after some recent finding that torb counters DIVE)
    You can't climb with a higher rate of losses than wins. Torb on defense is one thing, Torb on attack is another, and a Torb that is actively being hard countered and refuses to switch is dead weight and can be argued is throwing the match, intentionally or not.

yeah i hope it was for more than just not playing any other toons... i'll be damned if I play a toon i don't want 2 unless the person asking me to play that toon sends me the cash i paid for the game. I bought the game i play the toon(s) I want to play
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judic View Post
    If you're being countered, you need to switch - period. If Ana is getting jumped on by the Winston, she would switch to a more mobile support, such as Mercy or Lucio. If Widow is being jumped on by Winston, she should switch to something that counters the Winston, such as Reaper. If the team already has a Reaper, let the Reaper know and he should be ready to turn around and jump on the Winston when he jumps in. This is a team game. The team needs to work together to get the job done. However, if there is a Pharah raining justice onto your team and you have no hit scan heroes, who should switch? One of the DPS should switch. Doesn't really matter who. I would say if you have a Junkrat, he should switch since he's getting countered by the Pharah harder than say a Genji or Tracer. It all depends on the comp and what's working and what isn't.

When I play, and we have a torb on attack, I give him the benefit of the doubt. I usually say, "Hey Torb, we'll see how this works. If you are having trouble getting a turret down because you're being countered/focused can you switch please?". Most of the time, they are cool with that. If the end up being toxic about it, I just see how the match goes. A lot of the time people will surprise you.

If you ask someone to switch because they are being ineffective and the refuse. That is bad team play. If they say "Does someone else mind switching to 76? I am not the best at hit scan" then THAT is good team play. You are working with your team to figure out a solution. Being a dick to your team because they ask you to switch is NOT the way to go about things.

As other people above have said, this is about COMP. NOT QP. In QP, play what you want. That is what it is there for. In Comp, play what you can play best and go from there. If the opposing team is countering you, SWITCH. I have had really bad games with McCree/Tracer/76 and I have switch with healers and we won the game. You work with people. That is what this is all about. It is a selfish mentality to say "I will only play what I want to play". You need to switch to counter the opposing teams comp. Otherwise it is an uphill battle.

A lot of this comes down to self assessment. You need to be able to see that you are being countered. If you are, switch. Don't try to force a square peg into a round hole. That will just make your job harder for you. People need to realize that just because you have the most fun on Torb, doesn't mean he is right for every situation. You wouldn't use a screwdriver to hammer a nail would you? The screwdriver can get the job done (if you use the handle to nail it in) but there are much better ways to do things.

Please, if you are losing a game of comp, keep your head even and work with your team. Figure out what works best and go with it.
    I'm Widow, I am the hitscan, I'm getting jumped by Winston, but they still have a Pharah. So who gives then? Maybe they also have a Reaper or Symmetra or Bastion, which I could also handle pretty easily that other DPS would struggle to get near.

Who's to say the Junkrat is the one being most heavily countered by Pharah? If I'm Pharah, why am I bothered by what Junkrat is up to? I have free reign on their back line, or I'm aggressively hunting down flankers on our own that are tearing up ours. Basically anyone else on my team can handle Junkrat just as easily as I could, I'm wasting myself on him. I've lost matches because a Junkrat switched to deal with Pharah as 76, because they were a) a bad 76, and b) we lost all the damage on barriers being thrown up and suddenly Genji wasn't bouncing around trying to avoid dangerous ground anymore and could focus better on killing us.

So many of these calls to change are made entirely on presumptions and stereotypes, not the reality in the match. That's why it is scapegoating.

10+ Year Old Account
    guy is a troll and thats what he got banned for
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I'm Widow, I am the hitscan, I'm getting jumped by Winston, but they still have a Pharah. So who gives then? Maybe they also have a Reaper or Symmetra or Bastion, which I could also handle pretty easily that other DPS would struggle to get near.

Who's to say the Junkrat is the one being most heavily countered by Pharah? If I'm Pharah, why am I bothered by what Junkrat is up to? I have free reign on their back line, or I'm aggressively hunting down flankers on our own that are tearing up ours. Basically anyone else on my team can handle Junkrat just as easily as I could, I'm wasting myself on him. I've lost matches because a Junkrat switched to deal with Pharah as 76, because they were a) a bad 76, and b) we lost all the damage on barriers being thrown up and suddenly Genji wasn't bouncing around trying to avoid dangerous ground anymore and could focus better on killing us.

So many of these calls to change are made entirely on presumptions and stereotypes, not the reality in the match. That's why it is scapegoating.
    I've been the person getting countered many times. I play a lot of Tracer and when there is a Junkrat wrecking me, I switch to Pharah.

If you're Pharah, you are worried about what he's up to because he does a lot of damage to your tanks shields. Also, killing the easy targets gets you a 5v6. Totally worth it.

If you read the whole post, I said that you need to work with your team. Just because you have a 76 and the other team has a Pharah, it doesn't mean that 76 is being effective. It all depends on your players. You work as a team. You switch as needed to work with your team.

This all stems down to communication. People need to learn to not get tilted and work together.

Most report systems for groups of people this large, have a function that automatically temp-bans the person if they receive too many reports in a short period of time.

All you have to do is contact support and they'll unban you.

Blizzard does NOT blindly permaban every single person that gets reported

Fucking stop with this "omg Blizz is banning people for being reported! I'm gonna get banned for playing an off meta character!" fear mongering

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Judic View Post
    I've been the person getting countered many times. I play a lot of Tracer and when there is a Junkrat wrecking me, I switch to Pharah.

If you're Pharah, you are worried about what he's up to because he does a lot of damage to your tanks shields. Also, killing the easy targets gets you a 5v6. Totally worth it.

If you read the whole post, I said that you need to work with your team. Just because you have a 76 and the other team has a Pharah, it doesn't mean that 76 is being effective. It all depends on your players. You work as a team. You switch as needed to work with your team.

This all stems down to communication. People need to learn to not get tilted and work together.
    Priority Target > Easy Target. 76, McCree, Hanzo, Orisa, Zenyatta... any mid-long range hero would deal with him before your rockets got there anyway. I see a lot of Tracers focus on low hanging fruit, while the real problems to the rest of the team are struggling with just go ignored; all too often with the "not my job" comment. They see themselves as doing well, because they have medals from chasing bad players (could be anyone) who aren't having an impact on the match anyway, meanwhile the rest of the team is up against the other five, a couple of whom have been on fire since the first engagement. That's when Tracer should switch to something more resilient that can contribute to a team fight, but they never ever do. All too often they get away with it too, because Tracer doesn't have any kind of stigma, precisely the opposite.