Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    We should do both start planning for climate change(which will happen regardless) and take steps to cut down on pollution

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Protecting your borders is now genocide.
    You were talking about indiscriminately slaughtering people. That's not "protecting your borders". Your response to "there will be climate refugees" was "we'll build a wall and put guns on it". The clear implication is that you're suggesting they should all be shot.

You realize we can build these things called aqua ducts that transport water from a place that has plenty to a place that is in need right? Kinda like the aqua ducts that are already in use in places like California that are used to support massive cities like Los Angles. But I suppose that is not convenient for you argument of "but rain will fall in different places!"
    Again, you're ignoring cost. You're talking about billions of dollars of new infrastructure to address a problem that human emissions have caused. That's not nothing.

You're not actually making an argument. Nobody is saying that the Earth is doomed, or something. The focus is on ensuring that the costs of adaptation remain affordable in the coming decades, because the costs of rebuilding or restoring after they've been impacted is significantly higher. This is going to cost trillions, globally. That's not in question. What's at question is whether we pay those trillions, or if we wait until regular and repeated catastrophic impacts cause damages that sum up to significantly higher dollar values, without including the cost in human lives, which would be significant.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yes but it is also perfectly clear that you don't give a shit about foreign people so you probably won't care to create aquaducts to transport water to Mexico.
    And? Please tell me in what book is it written that I have to sacrifice everything I have for foreign people half a world away that wouldn't do the same for me? I am sorry this in the real world and I am not captain planet. Sometimes you gotta look out for numero uno.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    You were talking about indiscriminately slaughtering people. That's not "protecting your borders". Your response to "there will be climate refugees" was "we'll build a wall and put guns on it". The clear implication is that you're suggesting they should all be shot.

Again, you're ignoring cost. You're talking about billions of dollars of new infrastructure to address a problem that human emissions have caused. That's not nothing.

You're not actually making an argument. Nobody is saying that the Earth is doomed, or something. The focus is on ensuring that the costs of adaptation remain affordable in the coming decades, because the costs of rebuilding or restoring after they've been impacted is significantly higher. This is going to cost trillions, globally. That's not in question. What's at question is whether we pay those trillions, or if we wait until regular and repeated catastrophic impacts cause damages that sum up to significantly higher dollar values, without including the cost in human lives, which would be significant.
    You don't think reversing climate change also has large costs? Last I checked solar panels, wind turbines, wave generators, and geothermal energy are all pretty damn expensive. Scraping all our old infrastructure to build new green infrastructure will come with a hefty price tag.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-07-27 at 05:55 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I can't tell if you are being serious, trolling, or being edgy because you think it will get you conservative points.
    All of the above. Except for being conservative because I am not. I am a moderate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Your society caused the lion's share of the damage to the climate. But in all honesty, you can be OK with having no morals and I can be OK with being disgusted with you.
    Pfft lets completely ignore the country with the largest population in the world and the lax environmental regulations that allow them to pump megatons of pollution into the atmosphere from their countless sweatshop factories.
    Last edited by nanook12; 2017-07-27 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Climate change will not make the air unbreathable. It does exactly what it says it does effects our climate. It is called "climate change" not "all your air is gonna be gone change." Get a grip dude and...take a deep breath dude.
    http://imgur.com/rKkHkWu

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    That is nitrc oxide gas. A serious pollutant that causes cancer. Earlier in this thread I said I was against pollutants like nitric oxide, lead, mercury, and other dangerous carcinogens. However, C02 by itself is a completely different story.

Whether it's true or not if we had a serious impact on it, it sure as hell feels like this whole "green tax" thing is a con for money...

15+ Year Old Account
    I 100% agree with scientists that climate is changing and human activity is the cause. However, people have the knee-jerk reaction that just because something is changing we need to take efforts to change it back immediately.

We put a man on the moon and put robots of fucking mars. If we can deal with those hostile environments, then we can build stronger homes to withstand erratic weather conditions and we can build sea walls to keep our major cities from being flooded by rising tides.

Hell, updating our homes and building sea walls would create a lot of jobs for people.

The greater lesson is just because something is changing doesn't mean we have to reverse it. We can accept change roll with the punches and adapt which is the greatest ability of humans anyways.

I should say that I am against pollution. High levels of mercury, lead, nitric oxide, and other cancer causing pollutants that also harm wildlife should be curbed. However, C02 is not a pollutant. We are breathing it out of our mouths right now.
    Yes, ocean acidification and the warming of the ocean temperatures will cause the thermohaline circulation to stop, essentially creating a global pond where 99% of marine life will perish and carbon and sulphur emitting algae will cover millions of square miles in the ocean choking 99% of all land life and destroying the atmospheric mechanics that brings precipitation, wind, soil transfer eg. Saharan Desert to the Amazon Rainforest.

If we stick our heads into the sand we don't have to do anything. Responsibility is for losers anyway.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't think reversing climate change also has large costs? Last I checked solar panels, wind turbines, wave generators, and geothermal energy are all pretty damn expensive. Scraping all our old infrastructure to build new green infrastructure will come with a hefty price tag.
    Then you need to pay more attention.

If you compare LCOEs, geothermal is the cheapest single source of energy available. Onshore wind is second. Combined cycle natural gas comes in third, with solar panels and hydroelectric nearly tied for fourth.

Coal is one of the most expensive plants to build and run, now.

https://www.eia.gov/outlooks/aeo/pdf...generation.pdf

Table 1b is the important one for this, looking at the LCOE of new plant construction.

Plus, you are again attacking a straw man that nobody argued. Particularly since there is no "reversing climate change". The opportunity to do that ended at least 20 years ago, and even then would have required basically zeroing emissions worldwide.

Pfft lets completely ignore the country with the largest population in the world and the lax environmental regulations that allow them to pump megatons of pollution into the atmosphere from their countless sweatshop factories.
    China only surpassed American emissions in absolute terms a decade ago. https://www.theguardian.com/environm...9/china.usnews

In per-capita terms, they're still far below American emissions levels, which are the highest in the world. Plus, China's already reining their emissions levels in fairly rapidly.

Is there a reason you keep dipping into the well of misinformed denier talking points?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sure he will come in this thread in an up roar about his beloved climate shit. Then he will proceed to sling links all over the place and create lengthy TLDR posts. None of which I care about.
    So you're admitting then you're not interested in actually discussing the topic and reading the relevant facts and data? Just want to express your opinions and be agreed with?

I don't know if you're aware, but species tend to survive best in the climate they adapted to surviving in over millions of years. When that climate has a sudden, drastic shift, faster than the species can catch up, they tend to go extinct.

For us, we need things like readily accessible clean water and an atmosphere with a certain % of oxygen in it.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2017-07-27 at 06:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I am sure he will come in this thread in an up roar about his beloved climate shit. Then he will proceed to sling links all over the place and create lengthy TLDR posts. None of which I care about.
    I love that you admit you don't care about information (facts, evidence) and are just shit-posting. Is there any subject in which you seek out reality to base your opinions upon?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I don't know if you're aware, but species tend to survive best in the climate they adapted to surviving in over millions of years. When that climate has a sudden, drastic shift, faster than the species can catch up, they tend to go extinct.

For us, we need things like readily accessible clean water and an atmosphere with a certain % of oxygen in it.
    How is that so, considering climate drastically oscillates every few 10k~100k years? You can't adapt for a million years to an environment that changes 10~20 times in that time.

But yes, drastic changes bring drastic results, very specialized species disappear, others take its place.

The climate will fix itself, the earth is going to heat up and then the natural cooling proccess will begin. The new iceage comes after the globe warms up enough for percipitation to create worldwide cloud and weather systems thick enough to block out the harshness of the sun and cool the earth. This will create snow storms all over the planet and freeze the oceans. This will also cause new poles to form and over time lower the sea level. Somewhere in that whole proccess the human species all but dies out because we were not doing anything about it and are launched back into the stoneage.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    People might make a difference if we all did something, but I think the major issues that need addressing are the big companies that are more focused on greed than finding renewable energy sources.
    Maybe consumers need to make it more profitable then. Can't fault companies for following the will of their masters.

Thread: Climate is Changing, but Should we do Anything?

Learn to swim.

I, too, believe that constant trips to the doctor to patch me up and repeated visits to the hospital to stave off imminent death are far more preferable than just, you know, not doing the things that are nearly killing me.

Ah Nanook12. The Edgemaster. The Master of Edge. The Lord of Edge.

One week he's an Anarcho-Communist, next week he is a quasi Nietzchean social darwinist, next week he is a libertarian Sovereign citizen, then a Bushperson.

Today is pseudo militaristic mass murdering THE POWER OF ENGINEERING IN A SAVAGE WORLD whateveritist.

I can't keep track of which edge he is on now. As long as it's SUPER EDGY!

Deleted
    In a million years the next intelligent species will do digsites just to find out why the humans that lived in that age didnt stop the climate change they created themself as they obviously were aware of it.

They fill find an ancient youtube video of a blonde haired gorilla telling everyone that the climate change was an "invention of the chinese".