Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    He can try that fight. And even if he wins it, he'd spend enormous political capital on yet another Russia-related saga that would starve his agenda of oxygen.

I'm sure the sanctions will be signed. But just as important as sanctioning Russia and tying Trump's hand on repealing sanctions, is putting a bill infront of the orange turd and putting him in this impossible place (for him) to decide to sign it or not.

To put it another way, having to sign it will be a humiliation. Vetoing it will be a political catastrophe. Anyway, anti-Trump wins.
    Does Trump even have political capital at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    Sort of, he's just too incompetent to make use of it which is why it seems like he has none.

The US should sanction NK and Iran by leveling them with cruise missiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    The US should sanction NK and Iran by leveling them with cruise missiles.
    No. Russia and China are far more critical. Any bomb, any missile spent on Iran in particular, and North Korea, is one that won't be aimed at the real enemies of America.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LaserSharkDFB View Post
    No not really. Only with his knuckledragger diehard supporters.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He can try that fight. And even if he wins it, he'd spend enormous political capital on yet another Russia-related saga that would starve his agenda of oxygen.

I'm sure the sanctions will be signed. But just as important as sanctioning Russia and tying Trump's hand on repealing sanctions, is putting a bill infront of the orange turd and putting him in this impossible place (for him) to decide to sign it or not.

To put it another way, having to sign it will be a humiliation. Vetoing it will be a political catastrophe. Anyway, anti-Trump wins.
    You're forgetting the most likely option. He signs it, claims it was his idea all along, and he and his supporters hail it as a victory.

No. Russia and China are far more critical. Any bomb, any missile spent on Iran in particular, and North Korea, is one that won't be aimed at the real enemies of America.
    I don't think China is a serious threat to the US and any conflict with Russia is probably going to be the end of the world. From what I've read, sanctions work against Russia, North Korea and Iran not so much.

So the sanctions are hitting a snag now. Senator Corker (R-TN) who's the chairman of the Foreign Relations Committee is now objecting to the sanctions because he wants NK to have its own separate bill. His objection may force them to hold off signing them until September.

None of the other committee members felt the same and his decision is getting backlash from both parties in both congressional houses.

This reeks of Corker trying to stall for Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    This reeks of Corker trying to stall for Trump.
    Or Tillerson, in the hopes that he comes back from his unscheduled vacation in time for the signing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    So the sanctions are hitting a snag now.
    It appears to be resolved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um...not sure what to think of this. @Skroe ?

Scaramucci floats Trump veto on sanctions bill

President Trump may veto the Russia sanctions bill and “be tougher” on Russia than Congress, newly appointed White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci said Thursday in an interview with CNN.

“He may decide to veto the sanctions and be tougher on the Russians than the Congress,” Scaramucci told CNN’s Chris Cuomo on “New Day.”

“He may sign the sanctions exactly the way they are or he may veto the sanctions and negotiate an even tougher deal against the Russians,” he continued.

The White House has given conflicting signals on Trump's plans for the sanctions bill, would would curb the president's ability to lift sanctions imposed by the Obama administration on Russia without Congress's consent.

The bill, which also includes sanctions on North Korea and Iran, was widely seen as a shot at the White House from Congress.
    Emphasis mine. Is that something Trump might actually do as an honest retaliation? Or is that bullshittery to give Trump a reason to block and delay sanctions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Emphasis mine. Is that something Trump might actually do as an honest retaliation? Or is that bullshittery to give Trump a reason to block and delay sanctions?
    Pure bullshit distracting and buying time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Pure bullshit distracting and buying time.
    I guess they can always override.

Scaramucci seems to be all to happy to shill in a way that I think that Spicer wouldn't have even done.

Either way, do they not understand that a veto on this doesn't matter, given the overwhelming majorities it passed with in both houses?

This is bluster and blocking, they're just running cover to allow Trump to veto it for daddy Putin while spinning the veto as somehow pro-American. It'll probably work with a lot of his supporters.

15+ Year Old Account
    95% chance he's trying to pocket veto.

https://www.senate.gov/reference/glo...ocket_veto.htm

I wonder if Trump can do without Mar A Lago for 10 whole days?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    95% chance he's trying to pocket veto.

https://www.senate.gov/reference/glo...ocket_veto.htm

It's exactly what he's trying to do. The senate Dems are already planning on holding pro forma hearings during the recess to stop him from doing that. If the senate GOP tries to vote to abolish that practice, it's going to be filibustered.

They\re covering their ass since Trump can do two pretty despicable things during that month if they don't. He can pocket veto the sanctions AND put a new AG in place to kill the investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Deleted
    Russia sanctions? More like Germany sanctions, which won't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurinaux View Post
    I really don't understand why Saudi Arabia ranks higher than Iran on US relations. My only guess is due to lingering Cold War alliances and the fact that Iran is a larger threat to Israel than Saudi Arabia. Weak.

Sure, Iran sucks, but again why the fuck is Iran always the target in a region where literally everyone sucks.
    The saudis only accept USD for their oil. This helps creates hegemony as it makes the USD the defacto reserve currency. In addition the saudis purchase billions in arms from US arms dealers.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Trump doesn't go to the Mar-a-Lago in the summer. You saw he needed a golf cart to go up a small hill, right? Now, do that over 18 holes in Florida July.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, the sanctiions bill just hit Trump's desk. His move.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Deal. Y'all witnesses. $25 if he cries
    I'll buy in Didactic's opposing spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm buying in. I think his ego is too great to suffer signing it and he'll veto it despite his handlers' recommendations.
    I'd like to buy in as well - I'll take your opposing spot. I bet he signs it and makes some hypocritical tweet about it. $25 if he takes credit for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'll buy in Didactic's spot.
    Witnessed. No matter who wins, a charity will get money it deserves.