View Poll Results: Were Demon Hunters a mistake?

Voters
322. This poll is closed
  • Yes! They shouldn't have been a class.

99 30.75%
  • No! They're great! They just need more time to get better.

223 69.25%
Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Were Demon Hunters a let down?

I'm seeing quite a few posts and threads on various forums complaining about Demon Hunter gameplay and how "bad" their tank spec is. Oftentimes the people complaining about it are Demon Hunter players themselves. There's also the bitter Warlock players still stewing about Blizzard taking Metamorphosis away from them.

Here's the breakdown of what people complain the most about (from what I've seen):

1. Dull rotation/Gameplay
    2. Another melee spec!
    3. Why do they only have 2 specs?
    4. They took away my meta!!
    5. DH tanks are the worst tanks. We don't want them in our raids!
    6. DH PvP sucks!

So my question is this: Did Blizzard make a mistake by bringing this class into the game? Why or why not?

10+ Year Old Account
    I only just recently leveled mine up a couple of weeks ago and I'm having fun with him. I haven't bothered much with the tanking since it isn't my thing so can't speak for that but I enjoy havoc. It is pretty simple but combined with their crazy mobility I find it a lot of fun so far.

I like them for leveling, but find them terrible for instances. Not my thing

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Not as much as let down, but for me it feels this class brought nothing new. It literally yet another high mobility leather wearing meele. I would much rather have ranged oriented class after DK and monk.

DH main here, love them both as dps and tank. It was certainly not a mistake. "What is the next new class you want" threads consistently mentioned Demon Hunters and it was given.

Quote Originally Posted by BedlamBros View Post
    1. Dull rotation/Gameplay
    2. Another melee spec!
    3. Why do they only have 2 specs?
    4. They took away my meta!!
    5. DH tanks are the worst tanks. We don't want them in our raids!
    6. DH PvP sucks!

1) All rotations were gutted, I don't find DH rotations out of place with how much they can do
    2) no comment / don't care, I mostly play tanks and never got into balance druid so that's what most of my toons did
    3) less to learn honestly, it's annoying that hunters / locks / mages have to relearn a different dps spec based on patch
    4) I did not play lock consistently enough to have feelings on this. I understand that it sucks for them tho
    5) I am not familiar with this except on KJ where DH is the worst on Fel Claws. Other than that haven't heard of it post 7.2.5
    6) Seems fine to me

Almost from the get-go I found them boring and bland on a gameplay level and parasitic on a class design level. There was no place for them in the game and it feels like they don't really fulfill any kind of strong fantasy that another class doesn't have to some degree. It also marks the third melee only class introduced in WoW, with the single spec exception being Mistweaver which is a single spec out of 8 that have been released since Wrath until now.

Also, their portrayal in WoW is one of the most cringeworthy things I've seen in this game, and that means a lot coming from me. I have a high tolerance for stuff like that but the sheer, raw edginess of demon hunters was just too much for me. They try so hard to be "badass".
    Last edited by Irian; 2017-07-27 at 08:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not a fan of the class. I think it could have been implemented much better, and the 2 spec stuff is a pretty big letdown.

Here's my write-up of the Demon Hunter class from 4 years ago:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Hunters-(Long)

If something like that were in WoW now, I'd probably feel differently.

That said, I think the class has potential to get better with subsequent expansions, so I voted "No".

I leveled mine to 110 two days ago. I really like their fast paced playstyle but overall the DPS spec is really boring. The tank spec is great and really something fresh, I think it's the most interesting tank spec next to Blood DK, really like it.

Havoc needs some work, it's very boring and the entire Fel Rushing just feels awkward and really bad.

Deleted
    Another bias poll. Why do you even put a poll, if there will be two completely idiotic options?!

After leveling mine up and getting 890ish my biggest gripes are as Havoc (I haven't tanked at all yet on it):

1.) Rage generation kinda sucks.
    2.) Using fel rush is awkward as stated above
    3.) The rotation just feels bad. It feels slow with too much downtime

10+ Year Old Account
    yes. a complete waste. the game already suffers from over saturation of classes AND races.

arguable point: this class is so paper thin there wasnt even enough to create 3 proper specs. obvious shoehorn to appease a minor group of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I find it odd that people complain it's too simple, but say fel rush is too awkward in the same post. What melee rotation is compelling, not simple, and has no awkward elements? So I can understand what you're looking for in a rotation.

Nope, never should been implemented. The game would have been better off without them.

Quote Originally Posted by otyknip View Post
    Another bias poll. Why do you even put a poll, if there will be two completely idiotic options?!
    Pretty much. The poll already doesn't reflect the actual comments. OP shouldn't have bothered with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    They need to be fixed, fairly badly.

Rotation is boring with little to no interaction between the various abilities, damage is reliant on getting enough of one secondary stat to smooth out fury, I'd like a third spec (personal opinion).

The class is fun-ish, but it doesn't feel cohesive.

I've been having tons of fun with my DH. There's a few slow spots in the Havoc rotation at times, but nothing worse than dry spells for any other melee class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the View Post
    I find it odd that people complain it's too simple, but say fel rush is too awkward in the same post. What melee rotation is compelling, not simple, and has no awkward elements? So I can understand what you're looking for in a rotation.
    Far as I can tell the spells have very little interaction with one another so that's one issue. But could just be the build I'm using currently.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    People who hate 2 specs are gonna be disappointed because that's almost certainly the way forwards, with the amount of specs we have, it's becoming harder and harder to create truly unique specs, if they had made a 3rd DH spec it would've have made that and havoc more watered down. There is literally nothing wrong with 2 specs.
    Of course there is, every single other class in the game has 3, and one has 4 specs. To make a new class and give it two reeks of laziness.

Ranged DH, Soul Reaper. Make it use various chaos magics, with a small mix of melee attacks that bring them into boss range, with one or two that move them away.
    Build the spec around using weaker spells at range to build some resource, spend them in melee on crushing attacks.

Man, that was so hard.

I mean, it took like 5 whole minutes to think of.

It's basically monk for more simple minded people.

I haven't played the class myself but I don't like that we got yet another new melee class while we never had a new ranged class. I also don't like their presence in WoW, thinking they are super important to defeat the Burning Legion while they were always a pushover.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    No ofc not, they are great, if not becuase I like my Main, I'd re-rolled Demon Hunter and made that my new Main!