10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Any list with citizen kane and casablanca at the top I'm skeptical of. Thier impact on culture and art can never be understated but as films watching them today they are pretty boring. Only black and white film I've seen that holds up to this day is its a wonderful life
    Black and white movies may look old and lack polish, and teens and early 20-somethings whose brain has melted from all the artificially generated, franchise-regurgitating marketing enterprises that Hollywood is pumping out en masse like a Chinese factory are unable to find beauty in them anymore. I don't fault them, and I certainly don't have anything against studios like Marvel or DC or their marketing """"war"""". It's all marketing, it's all stuff that sells. I mean, I find myself enjoying them myself sometimes. Yet despite that, I cannot help it but feel sad that people today can't even see the beauty in the magnificent storytelling, direction, and human ingenuity that classics like Citizen Kane, Casablanca, The Third Man, Double Idemnity, etc are able to showcase today, 75+ years after their release.

I feel old

Thanks for reading my blog.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-07-27 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Black and white movies may look old and lack polish, and teens and early 20-somethings whose brain has melted from all the artificially generated, franchise-regurgitating marketing enterprises that Hollywood is pumping out en masse like a Chinese factory are unable to find beauty in them anymore.
    Well this certainly leaves a lot of room for discussion and doesn't reek of pretentious dismissal of opinion on art. Why would people be asking for opinions at all if they are so well fed from this generic hollywood garbage you speak of.

I find a lot of those films vastly over rated to todays standards because they were still figuring things out. The woman are nearly carbon copies of each other all the way from the cadence of speech to the moles on their face.

Its a wonderlife life actually has subtle acting and a message that is still relevant today and the characters are not just background pieces.

Next you'll be saying Schindler's list is a masterpiece like any other top 100 IMDB lists when in reality its just a depressing war movie with memorable performances from liam neeson and ralph fiennes

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this certainly leaves a lot of room for discussion and doesn't reek of pretentious dismissal of opinion on art. Why would people be asking for opinions at all if they are so well fed from this generic hollywood garbage you speak of.

I find a lot of those films vastly over rated to todays standards because they were still figuring things out. The woman are nearly carbon copies of each other all the way from the cadence of speech to the moles on their face.

Its a wonderlife life actually has subtle acting and a message that is still relevant today and the characters are not just background pieces.

Next you'll be saying Schindler's list is a masterpiece like any other top 100 IMDB lists when in reality its just a depressing war movie with memorable performances from liam neeson and ralph fiennes
    Each to his opinions. You called my list suspect when I bolded Citizen Kane and Casablanca, 2 of the most acclaimed movies ever. Schindler's List is not my favorite movie ever, but to deny its brilliance and dismiss it as just another depressive war movie, now that is kinda dishonest and suspect, as well as stating that the only worthwhile b&w movie is It's a Wonderful Life.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2017-07-27 at 09:57 PM.

2 of the most acclaimed movies ever.
    Thats why I call it suspect. May as well say your favorite song is Beethoven symphony # 9.

Anyway most of your list was sound, I was replying to blueoblesisk who barely enjoyed 12 angry men so casablanca is going to be a hard sell.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Don't feel old. And those films hold up. Redlettermedia has these greatvideos where Mr Plinkett trashes the Star Wars prequels and shows how Citizen Kane's visual storytelling, just basic interesting camera work puts Episode 1,2 and 3 to shame.

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/
    The star wars prequels are the standard to compare against now? Oh dear...

How about ninja scroll http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Or Vampire hunter D http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216651/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Pure story and hand drawn excellence

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats why I call it suspect. May as well say your favorite song is Beethoven symphony # 9.

Anyway most of your list was sound, I was replying to blueoblesisk who barely enjoyed 12 angry men so casablanca is going to be a hard sell.
    Dude, there's so many movies in that list that would cause you to say that my list is suspect... Would you have me pick lesser known movies like The Great Beauty or Battleship Potemkin? Those movies are perfect in my eyes, but I still consider those I bolded to be better.

- - - Updated - - -

The star wars prequels are the standard to compare against now? Oh dear...

How about ninja scroll http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Or Vampire hunter D http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216651/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Pure story and hand drawn excellence
    Did you just compare Citizen Kane to anime?

Dude, there's so many movies in that list that would cause you to say that my list is suspect... Would you have me pick lesser known movies like The Great Beauty or Battleship Potemkin? Those movies are perfect in my eyes, but I still consider those I bolded to be better.
    Everyone knows about citizen kane/casablanca. More obscure films that you personally really enjoyed I may look them up and see what they are about and take the risk on them

- - - Updated - - -

Did you just compare Citizen Kane to anime?
    Why not. The time off I have from work is limited so 2hours watching something is the same thing to me. They are all singular focused stories with the same format of act 1,2,3
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2017-07-27 at 10:16 PM.

Despicable Me 3

Wanted to go to Car's, but they didn't have it. The kids like it, but I thought it was complete shit compered to the other 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone knows about citizen kane/casablanca. More obscure films that you personally really enjoyed I may look them up and see what they are about and take the risk on them
    How about try and see ALL of them? Those are my personal 10/10s after all (and I'm sure I've forgotten many), so they are pretty high on the recommendation table. And no, those I linked aren't obscure, if you're really into movies that is.

How about try and see ALL of them? Those are my personal 10/10s after all (and I'm sure I've forgotten many), so they are pretty high on the recommendation table. And no, those I linked aren't obscure, if you're really into movies that is.
    Have you seen the two I mentioned that you so quickly dismissed because "anime"

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you seen the two I mentioned that you so quickly dismissed because "anime"
    I might now, since you think they're better than the most influential and revolutionary movie of all time =)

I might now, since you think they're better than the most influential and revolutionary movie of all time =)
    Haha only in terms of creative story telling, which is the most important thing to me now after seeing hundreds perhaps getting close to thousands of films

Most of the movies hellhamster have given 10/10 can be found on the IMDb Top 250, so it's not like it's a controversial list, or one where you can raise your eyebrow at most of the choices. I have personally only given eight movies 10/10 and 34 movies 9/10 at the moment, and as I mentioned earlier, very few of them are from before 2000. I haven't seen all of the movies listed (yet), but many of the ones I have I've "only" rated 8/10. I'm sure there's some movies in there I'd give 9/10, maybe even 10/10, that I haven't seen, but it's hard to find the time to just dig through that pile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Woody was almost as solid a villian as Koba. Oh... Bad Ape is love.
    I didn't see Koba as the villain, he was more of an anti-hero. I like Caesar, but I loved Koba.

- - - Updated - - -

To the Bone: 7/10

"Good job" I guess to Lily Collins for looking like a skeleton, but the movie itself didn't really do anything for me. Didn't suck, but nothing happened either.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 4/10
    I don't think it was a dumpster fire that some have made it out to be but it certainly wasn't great. It could have been a lot better if you sub out the 3 main human characters for others. I am referring to Dane Dehaan, Cara Delevingne, and Clive Owen. Unlike Fifth Element or even Jupiter Ascending I certainly don't need to see this one again.

Valerian - 5/10

Was okay, looked good and Cara is fun to watch.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Nice intro, good "world building", good cinematics, good alien design.

Everything else: dialogue, story, acting, and plot, were utter and complete shit. Literal garbage. I have been pretty obsessed with how bad the movie was.

1/10

Deleted
    Django
    8/10
    3th time I watched it, I like the story and setting and I mostly don't like western. It's a great film with action, humour,history and allot of great actors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wonder Woman, 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by Legendix187- View Post
    Django
    It's a great film with history.
    Django Unchained had history in it?

whaaaaaat?????