Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    your opinion is irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

By what fucking metric are you measuring. Because by any modern method of measuring a game's "worth" vanilla is lowest on the totem pole. Your nostalgia for the old days is skewing your opinion. Let it go, it's NEVER coming back.
    considering the lowest parts of the totem pole is often the best carved you must like vanilla a lot but i guess you are intending the incorrect idiom conceived in the 1940:s by a comedian.

Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What made vanilla better was that it was new. Nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    your opinion is irrelevant.

- - - Updated - - -

By what fucking metric are you measuring. Because by any modern method of measuring a game's "worth" vanilla is lowest on the totem pole. Your nostalgia for the old days is skewing your opinion. Let it go, it's NEVER coming back.
    People have different opinions. I levelled one character to 48 (would have continued if the server wasn't shut down), another character to 60 and currently levelling a third. I'm still enjoying vanilla very very much. So it can't be nostalgia.

Your modern method of measuring is inaccurate.

If you don't like leveling you won't like old WoW. Leveling was the foundation of the game, it was actually part of the game. Current WoW tries to make max level both progression and "end game" at the same time, which is what leads to half the complaints people have.

Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I'm doing some research and I'd like to hear your opinions guys and gals
    nothing 10chars

Classic wow was better because I was young and I had as much time I wanted to waste on this game. If RL wasn't so complicated I would like my brain to be connected with my PC so I could play forever, but since it is not quite possible, I rather spend more time in RL so I won't waste my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

I think the game is better now. But, the exploring and adventure aspect was 100% better back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickname View Post
    While it had so many flaws which would not be tolerated today (i.e no set levelling path / no direction to quest objectives) it felt like an adventure.
    The thing is, it's not "flaws" and it's part of the reason why it felt an adventure.
    The simplicity made it fun. For example anyone could step into a raid (of which there was one difficulty of!) and actually kill bosses as they didn't require each a minute. youtube video. When a boss was killed it felt like an accomplishment not "great I killed the boss but now I have to kill it on heroic / mythic" or "great I killed the boss on mythic but I already killed this guy once on heroic so w/e"
    Agree, though "simplicity", while true, will be easily interpreted in the wrong meaning. It's the "simplicity" of "straightforwardness" and "immersion".
    Legion is undoubtedly a better designed game
    No, it's a more formatted game with higher polish. It doesn't mean it's actually better designed.

It was new and filled with unknowns because there weren't a bunch of fansites datamining everything the instant it came out and posting detailed strats and videos of everything before 90% of the playerbase has had a chance to experience it themselves.

I, personally, find nearly each iteration of Warcraft better than the previous, so my answer would simply be "nothing, current is vastly superior than classic".

There were some times I felt Blizzard made a misstep, or backtracked, but as a general trend it has been great improvement. Naturally there are elements I liked that have been removed, such as the sense of wonder (more my issue than Blizzard's), the old talent trees, etc.

But, after nearly 13 years, I think WoW is in a much better place in nearly all aspects.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

As a game, it's better now than it was when it launched. But nothing will ever replace that first time logging in and seeing the world of Azeroth for the first time and playing through the game at that time.

Nothing made Vanilla WoW better than current, however there are certain design choices to do with difficulty, exploration, pacing and "RP" features vs. convenience (among other factors) that made Vanilla a different experience that some people have very valid reasons for preferring.

Deleted
    Current wow is much better in many aspects especially with QoL, the world, models, quest etc.

But one thing i really enjoy about Vanilla is the diffculty of the game and the adventuring/exploring, you actually had to know your spells, learn rotations, think about gear and stats, ask people for help or help others with quest and such. Levelling in vanilla is actually fun and engaging cus you have to think about what you're doing and not overpull.

Now the difficulty of the game is so low, unless you run mythic raids, levelling have also become a chore and not challenging in any way, making it boring as you pull 20 mobs and use one aoe spells to take them all down.
    The game have become more casual and more like an arcade game. (which imo is bad)
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2017-07-28 at 01:43 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Game was more challenging and more rewarding.

Not every class had 3 get out of jail free cards.

Not every class had cc and self-heals.

Gear you could keep for many levels while leveling.

Original AV.

level difference was not extreme. a level 40 could group with a few other 40s and beat up a 50.

buffs added sense of community. run by somebody, give them a buff (which was class unique and not all the same)

Some quests were very hard and encouraged group play.

before LFG and cross BGs, more sense of community, recognized other players and a troll could become well-known and disliked. trolls now can do whatever they want cause who cares its xrealm you will never see them again.

The list can go on and on. While legion was not terrible...I still dont find it as enjoyable.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla was large and mysterious, and a wrong turn could get you killed.

Now everything old is memorized and everything new is datamined and analyzed before it is even released.

Oh shit. This thread's still going? Would've expected some argument to take place, closing this.

Either way, I'll stay on topic and answer it myself:

Classic WoW was a Progression. You felt rewarded, with every gear you gained. In PVP, you couldn't earn every piece in every arena. You had to gain your rating, in order to get just 1 piece of Gear. PVE gear made PVP better. AV was badass. Attunements are badass, and they make you go on a quest, despite them being annoying sometimes. Gaining just 1 mount took forever to get. Lvling in general took months. It's badass.

Now, it's about a chosen select of Mortals, taking out Cosmic powers, and saving the Universe/Multiverse from evil. It's weird. It's not bad, if anything, it's badass. But, it's not only quick as fuck to complete, but it's...weird, and a tiny bit unrewarding.

Deleted
    "I farmed braindead shit for years and got a mount for it; I did that to myself so clearly it wasn't exactly as deepshit retarded as it sounds to anyone with at least one active brain lobe, it was BADASS"

yeah sure

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    Oh shit. This thread's still going? Would've expected some argument to take place, closing this.
    Bizzarre, since you are banned :P

weird.

Classic has a charm, overall. Far more than current.

Definitely more adventure and wonder. Nothing given freely away via cash-shops, etc. (modern WoW --> want gold? buy $$ in the cashshop and sell in the AH .. win!)

Everything owned was truly earned, back then.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-09-28 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Bizzarre, since you are banned :P

weird.
    Did you add to the discussion though, or is this just another bump?

PS: I prefered the paladin being alliance, and the shaman being horde in vanilla, but then we got more content in the form of expansions, so vanilla forever no thanks. Not sure if I already typed that in the thread, like 6 months ago...