Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Shoulda paid more tax for better public transportation. Low tax, low service indeed.
    Like paying more in California and still paying $20-$40 a day on toll roads? Yeah, we had a manager move from CA and that was his daily cost of commute. Alternative was paying the exorbitant housing costs in the city. Sold their average 3/2 house for a much larger one with I think around an acre of land... paid in full, all cash, and had money left over from what they got selling their home in CA. And this was around 8 years or so. I imagine prices have only gone up since.

So high tax, low service is the California answer? I'll take the reasonable cost of living myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    They don't have to worry about it. All the Californians are flooding Austin and turning it into another L.A. or San Francisco with way over market value housing costs, skyrocketing rent, and horrible horrible traffic.

Last I knew the big kerfuffle was turning all essentially necessary highways into toll roads and Austinites pushed back hard.
    Austin has always had horrible traffic. Californians coming in hasn't changed that lol. Same with housing prices. They were getting expensive in the late 80's - early 90's too.

in terms of toll roads, the only thing I ever heard about was essentialy that toll road that goes around Austin. Life saver if you want to get to cities south of Austin without getting stuck in downtown traffic

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Like paying more in California and still paying $20-$40 a day on toll roads? Yeah, we had a manager move from CA and that was his daily cost of commute. Alternative was paying the exorbitant housing costs in the city. Sold their average 3/2 house for a much larger one with I think around an acre of land... paid in full, all cash, and had money left over from what they got selling their home in CA. And this was around 8 years or so. I imagine prices have only gone up since.

So high tax, low service is the California answer? I'll take the reasonable cost of living myself.
    California's problem is bad urban planning; it relies too much on automobiles as the primary mode of transportation, and now land is too expensive to do a mass expansion of the public transit network which would relieve congestion from the roads. Ideally cities like Austin and San Antonio would be future proofing by building transit networks, but hey. No tax money.

But as a Sydney born guy myself I have a hard time sympathising with complaints about tolls and housing price since that's been an issue in Australia for decades. Deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Hmmm, I don't see anywhere in the OP where it says they are being kicked out. Maybe I am missing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Let see.......India.......1,326,572,000 people.......
    California.........39,250,017 people.......

Nope. Not quite the whole story.
    Since when do you consider India a rich country? Learn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    isnt huckleberry finn also mandatory reading in the US

that book literally has a character named "Nigger jim" in it, so i guess racism is fine but smoking is horrible?
    Mark Twain was an avid abolitionist and was in no way a racist. His style of writing used terminology and dialect of the region for his dialogue. The N word was common place in the south during the time of Huckleberry Finn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bye Felicia
    Dont let the door hit you on the way out
    etc etc

Once you leave California it is almost impossible to move back.

I am good here. My community leans just enough right to be tolerable.

So if California loses a significant amount of their population to Texas does that mean that California will have more seats in the electoral college and Texas will have less?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Mark Twain was an avid abolitionist and was in no way a racist. His style of writing used terminology and dialect of the region for his dialogue. The N word was common place in the south during the time of Huckleberry Finn.
    Don't bother, they show their blissful ignorance by not understanding context. Surprised they made it out of middle school.

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Since when do you consider India a rich country? Learn to read.
    India is two below California in the GDP rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    i never said mark twain was a racist, much like how describing a character using drugs/smoking doesnt mean the author of that book advocates it.

THAT WAS LITERALLY MY POINT

and it flew over your head by a mile

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    They can try and stop it, but you can't stop liberalization without stopping the economic boom.

Not to mention housing prices are booming and are becoming a problem. We still have mandatory vaccinations if you want to go to school.
    Your safe! so long it doesnt hit London , or Swiss levels you are safe with them housing prices (Jesus fuck, saw swiss housing prices for some cantons? 2.000.000 euros in house price for some which in my country would go between the 500k and 1.5 million at most :x