Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Who wouldn't? A fairer question is how would people react? Angry, understanding, shocked, afraid, all of the above?
    A single person might be reasonable.

People in a group are stupid and would behave in a way to reflect that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked the movie Arrival too

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    no, please tell me what the catch 22 is
    (let me say also that I was just having conversation and NOT trying to sound like a dick, which I may have - and if so, I apologize - this is the first honestly good question i've seen on the forums for awhile, and it's just fun to talk about - which is all i'm attempting here in general and specifically, with you)

Well, you're claiming that all the governments couldn't keep a secret this big (or any other). But if they could, you would never know about it. So you'd never really know if they knew.

It's also possible that I'm not using the catch-22 phrase correctly.

We know governments keep secrets. Things like the stealth bomber and stealth fighter were developed for decades by large teams, yet none of the details were ever leaked. All nations have vast spy networks and steal data all the time, yet none of it comes out in the open. If the spy networks keep things airtight, I suppose its possible for governments to work together to keep aliens a secret.

Getting back to war technology, I kinda expect the US government has some futuristic drone technology ready to go, and during the next war they will roll it out. If something goes down with North Korea, we might unveil some crazy new drone fleet that does amazing things.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If the government had knowledge of the existence of extraterrestrials to the extent that the extraterrestrials are in fact living among us would you want to know?
    i would but i dont beleave the majority of people in my country are capable of handling information such as this. they might think its an attack on thier invisible god or magical religion or cult.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yeah that's what I am saying. Why would they even bother interacting with us at that point?

They don't need to "live among us" to observe us.
    You say that, but then have to remember there's different puppets created just for infiltrating wildlife packs and observing them in their natural habitat. Like penguins with cameras, the sea turtle thing.

If we can do it for animals, surely aliens could do it for us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If the government had knowledge of the existence of extraterrestrials to the extent that the extraterrestrials are in fact living among us would you want to know?
    Sure, why not?

Sure, who wouldn't?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    You say that, but then have to remember there's different puppets created just for infiltrating wildlife packs and observing them in their natural habitat. Like penguins with cameras, the sea turtle thing.

Of course they could do it, but they probably wouldn't need to. The combination of their advanced technology and the fact that we as a species broadcast our life on television, radio, social media, etc. means that they don't need to infiltrate us to observe us in our natural habitat.

10+ Year Old Account
    "I'm just not arrogant enough to think that of the 50 billion galaxies, hundred billion stars per galaxy and ten million, billion planets in the universe, that we're the only ones with life."

As far as I'm concerned, there is alien life out there. It's only a matter of time till we're introduced to them.

Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    Of course they could do it, but they probably wouldn't need to. The combination of their advanced technology and the fact that we as a species broadcast our life on television, radio, social media, etc. means that they don't need to infiltrate us to observe us in our natural habitat.
    Same arguments could be said about humans spying on animals. We have telescopes, we have cameras. Still people go into fake rocks or rhino-machines to observe animals.

It could just be a case of "maybe there's something we can't see without being there. We should try."

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    "I'm just not arrogant enough to think that of the 50 billion galaxies, hundred billion stars per galaxy and ten million, billion planets in the universe, that we're the only ones with life."

As far as I'm concerned, there is alien life out there. It's only a matter of time till we're introduced to them.
    the very existence of aliens is of no consequences, if we are unable to communicate, not to say visit, with them. they could have cultivated all planets around Proxima and Alpha Centauri A+B for centuries already and stll cannot give us a handshake: even those 4,xx ly are a barrier.

I would. But I also realize that a lot of society likely isn't ready for it. I have no doubts some religious institutions would go into chaos. Some economic situations would likely melt down due to paranoia and uncertainty. Militarism around the globe would likely start growing in size, strength, and with the intention of attacking/defending a vastly superior intelligence if they had made its way to Earth.

Humans are still just spoiled children of Earth. Egos have yet to be tamed and superiority complexes reign supreme. To have all of those things suddenly shattered would be devastating to a lot of people. Most people just can't accept not being the chosen of god, top of the food chain, masters of the universe. Anyone looking at it with perspective of the size and scope of the universe likely already knows we are just a blip in the endless sea, but to most humans we are the bees knees.

It would probably be best for governments to slowly leak stuff out over dozens if not several dozen years. Probably somewhere around a 100 or so years where an entire generation was exposed to the thoughts of aliens among us and most of the people hardened against it being even possible being gone. To slow condition society into first not blindly fearing aliens and then eventually teaching them to accept the reality of the situation.

Of course... why would anyone want to be lied to?

So you can re-insert me into the matrix? Make me someone important and rich.

If the American government knew it, we would all know. Trump would not be able to keep his big mouth shut.

10+ Year Old Account
    Too many people on this planet believe we are the center on the universe, them revealing themselves would not end well and plenty of irrational people would act aggressively towards them since they in the eyes of what they believe challenge everything they hold dear.

You think religion is full of crazies now? Wait till there's living proof of another species out there that has never heard about their god. Plenty will not be able to handle that, especially when they are further ahead then we are.

So i find until we move beyond that notion that we are the most unique thing of all the galaxies, i rather not have them reveal themselves.

I thought conspiracy theory threads weren't allowed here?

Anyways "A person is smart" but "People are stupid" sums it up.

We'd be better off first finding bacteria on say Mars or a moon of Saturn first. Come to grips with that. Then worry about finding "E.T.".

We would have to contend with the impact to Human religion, what it means for humans in the whole of the universe, and the panic that would happen.

If Vulcan landed on the White House lawn then you would have a section of the population that would still think it was a made up hoax by the government, a section that would run out and kill themselves, a section condemning them as demons or spawn of the devil, a section that would try to exploit them against other humans for power, money, etc, a section that would tell them to go home and they'd "take er jobz".

So yeah.... start with the little bacteria and then go from there...

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post

Watching us masturbate, do feeble attempts of a courting, and awkward mating rituals... just image an alien David Attenborough narrating while you're in the act.

Classy!

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I would. Mostly because it would give me hope that I could get off this Planet and travel the Stars hopefully in my lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    If the American government knew it, we would all know. Trump would not be able to keep his big mouth shut.
    That comes under the assumption that the President actually knows about everything that happens in America. I would be certain there are organizations around the World that even the Leader of the Country they reside in would know nothing about.

Deleted
    Yes, I would like to know.