Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Call to guide writers, STOP USING GOOGLE DOCS!

A lot of guides on here as well as other sites have started using google docs. I know it helps so that you can have multiple collaborators but unfortunately there are too many bugs with the system for it to actually be reliable. working on a Windows desktop there doesn't seem to be very many bugs however on other platforms there are many specifically Android. There is a very common and well-known bug that will not let documents update after the first time that they have been opened, for example I have a guide that will not show anything other than a July 10th update on my phone but works just fine on my desktop. Also I feel that linking to specific Parts in the document for references and questions people have is more difficult with Google Docs as well.

I know with all the discord's many Theory crafters and guide writers have been working together but the Google Docs collaboration system is clearly not enough/ working as intended. I think that those discirds could probably easily afford their own website and that would solve many of these issues allowing them to post multiple forms i.e. classic text base or even Google Documents.

I guess at the very least having a simple text based copy updated somewhere would solve my issues as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deadmanfred View Post
    A lot of guides on here as well as other sites have started using google docs. I know it helps so that you can have multiple collaborators but unfortunately there are too many bugs with the system for it to actually be reliable. working on a Windows desktop there doesn't seem to be very many bugs however on other platforms there are many specifically Android. There is a very common and well-known bug that will not let documents update after the first time that they have been opened, for example I have a guide that will not show anything other than a July 10th update on my phone but works just fine on my desktop. Also I feel that linking to specific Parts in the document for references and questions people have is more difficult with Google Docs as well.

I know with all the discord's many Theory crafters and guide writers have been working together but the Google Docs collaboration system is clearly not enough/ working as intended. I think that those discirds could probably easily afford their own website and that would solve many of these issues allowing them to post multiple forms i.e. classic text base or even Google Documents.

I guess at the very least having a simple text based copy updated somewhere would solve my issues as well.
    You gonna buy Microsoft office for them?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Really? Do I need to buy them windows and a pc to run it on too? Using google docs as a free writing program isn't the point of this post in the slightest. They can write their guides in whatever media they so choose, its how they publish their work that's important.

There is a very common and well-known bug that will not let documents update after the first time that they have been opened, for example I have a guide that will not show anything other than a July 10th update on my phone but works just fine on my desktop.
    You ever try clearing your cache?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Everyone should stop using google docs because it's not working on your phone? Is this post for real?

You could you know use not a mobile device to look at guides right? You going to tell people to stop using discord as well since there is no real ability to moderate from a mobile device? On a serious note there is no real widely used alternative that can be maintained but maintained by multiple people outside of google docs.
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

I genuinely never encountered that bug and at least 75% of my work related info is shared with that.

A lot of guides on here as well as other sites have started using google docs. I know it helps so that you can have multiple collaborators but unfortunately there are too many bugs with the system for it to actually be reliable.
    ...for exampleeeee...?

Thanks for the warning, i guess?

Oh, nevermind.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah no, Google docs is pretty great. Is the problem perhaps your outdated phone hardware/software?

EVERYONE LISTEN!
    Please don't use X because I can't use X whilst everyone else can.
    Change X because I don't want to fix my Y.

I've literally never had a single issue with google docs ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Because Microsoft office is the only option?

https://www.wps.com/office-free

There is nothing wrong with google docs

Really? Do I need to buy them windows and a pc to run it on too? Using google docs as a free writing program isn't the point of this post in the slightest. They can write their guides in whatever media they so choose, its how they publish their work that's important.
    Shut up.

+2

80-90% of my irl job is based on Google Docs (especially Spreadsheet).
    Now i have to stop earning money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, what bugs? I have yet to experience a bug with Google Docs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    EVERYONE LISTEN!
    Please don't use X because I can't use X whilst everyone else can.
    Change X because I don't want to fix my Y.
    X? Bro he's talking about Google doc's.

OP got that shitternet and is mad because of it,