Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    I mean, I wholeheartedly agree that Democrat campaigning tactics don't work quite as well as Republican fear mongering. But I'm not sure I could get behind a Democrat party that stoops to baseless fear mongering. They'd either swing right and fear monger about the same stuff Republicans do, or they'd swing left and go full antifa SJW fear mongering.

And before anyone says "BUH BUH THEY ALREADY DO DIS", they really should realize that a bunch of fear mongering far-left SJW VOTERS and the Democratic political party are almost entirely separate entities, and probably further apart in political ideology than Republicans and Democrats even are.
    I'm not asking for fear mongering. I'm asking for passion. Basically what Elizabeth Warren does, if not maybe SLIGHTLY more aggressive. But Warren is an outlier. All the ones who even remotely approach this kind of campaigning (Warren, Sanders, and Franken) are the exceptions, not the rule.

You can be fiery and not just 100% lie about everything your opponents are doing or inventing nonexistent threats are immediately about to kill you.

Oh---and they should swing more left. Democrats have basically become the center party when Republicans keep dragging everybody further and further to the right. You can be very liberal and not be a SJW. They are not the same thing.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2017-07-29 at 06:24 AM.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...rm-isnt-passed

So Trump tweeted this now. Is he in position to do this? Does this not constitute as blackmail?

Does anybody not see him as a petty cunt throwing a tantrum because he lost at this point? If so? How?

Quote Originally Posted by karumayu View Post

So Trump tweeted this now. Is he in position to do this? Does this not constitute as blackmail?
    Watching him impotently flail about helplessly on Twitter is so entertaining.

Wasn't he supposed to be the "Dealmaker"? Like, wasn't that his main thing, he's good at deals? Remarkable that the health care overhaul crashed and burned in spectacular fashion because he couldn't use his signature skill to close the deal.

Nope. Funding is done by congress, the president has no control over it.

Same thing as when he impotently threatened sanctuary cities, he has no control.

7+ Year Old Account

He can, sort of, there's some nebulous things there because Obama had some stuff done without the explicit approval of congress. There were lawsuits, the biggest sticking point is the payments for states that don't have exchanges. but it would be suicide.

See the republicans can make this nebulous claim that Obamacare is failing because of reasons, and the truth is much more complicated than can fit in your average sound bite, and it's way too complicated for the average American.

If trump dies this, it can be easily and truthfully said that the president screwed up healthcare. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Watching him impotently flail about helplessly on Twitter is so entertaining.

Wasn't he supposed to be the "Dealmaker"? Like, wasn't that his main thing, he's good at deals? Remarkable that the health care overhaul crashed and burned in spectacular fashion because he couldn't use his signature skill to close the deal.
    He didn't even try. He just sat there threatening people until the literal last vote and then couldn't get McCain to not vote no.

Trump would make insurance unaffordable for every american in an effort to force congress to pass something that no one but the freedom caucus wants?

This is insane, should I take this as a sign that Prebus was the last rational voice left in the white house to advise him on how to do things? Anyone should be able to tell him the costs of making himself the singular figure responsible for the failure of healthcare in this nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Trump would make insurance unaffordable for every american in an effort to force congress to pass something that no one but the freedom caucus wants?
    Trump thinks medical insurance costs $12 a year or some other ridiculously low amount he's used the last few years and the only reason it costs more is because of Obamacare. He's so woefully uninformed about it that you can't reason with him. He promised to repeal the ACA and it doesn't matter how or what it does so long as he gets to do it consequences be damned.

He touted at one point the $8 billion set aside for a "high risk" pool as being some great amount of money. There's a drug for a condition that I have that costs $750,000 for the first year and they expect about 10,000 people to take it soon. That alone would use up the whole $8 billion.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2017-07-29 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post

This is insane, should I take this as a sign that Prebus was the last rational voice left in the white house to advise him on how to do things? Anyone should be able to tell him the costs of making himself the singular figure responsible for the failure of healthcare in this nation.
    If there was ever any illusion that Trump actually gave a fuck about the American people it should be gone now. All he cares about is winning and getting a tax cut.

I would imagine that if Trump actually tries this any vestige of protection he's enjoying from the majority of elected Republicans would, most part, completely evaporate.

Hell the threat alone may cost Trump a hell of a lot, if the threat has any teeth to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Casterbridge View Post
    I would imagine that if Trump actually tries this any vestige of protection he's enjoying from the majority of elected Republicans would, most part, completely evaporate.

Hell the threat alone may cost Trump a hell of a lot, if the threat has any teeth to it.
    This entire healthcare episode has cost the Republicans a lot of political capital for absolutely nothing. They've not satisfied the deplorables in the Freedom caucus, while still making themselves look like fools to everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dems really need to push for healthcare for all now.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    In a way it did. Passing legislation by reconciliation comes with some rules, one especially known as the Byrd Rule. One of those rules is that you get one bill per topic per fiscal year to vote on. Topics are spending, federal debt limit and revenue. If a bill dies in committee, then it doesn't count. This bill made it to the floor and lost. So, McConnell can't bring out any more legislation on that topic for the rest of the fiscal year and try to pass it with 51 votes. It's now all 60 votes or nothing at all until September 30th. McCain knew all of this of course. So the Republican Party threw the dice on health care but will now be restricted for a while on what they can try to pass through reconciliation.

https://www.cbpp.org/research/federa...reconciliation
    Wow - I had no idea. So even worse than it seemed to most everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Over the weekend some others have tweeted that this interpretation is incorrect. McConnell returned the bill to the Senate calendar as what was voted on is was technically an amendment to the bill. The amendment was defeated but not the actual bill. Others have disputed that. It's a sign of the confusion and misunderstanding surrounding arcane Senate rules. They are looking to try again and probably soon. And of course the President is tweeting at the top of his lungs with advice on what the Senate should be doing.

We'll have to wait and see what the parliamentary rulings are and just how willing Republican Senators are to try and pass yet another bill, this time perhaps without McCain who's gone home for treatment. It would likely require yet another vote to proceed. And the House would have to pass on that and they're out for all of August at this point.

There doesn't seem to be any sign they recognize that the rest of the country is getting tired of all of this and might want them to actually move on to something else.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2017-07-30 at 07:44 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I haven't seen any coherent plans for how the ACA can either be replaced or made significantly more conservative without making healthcare worse for the population as a whole.

Given what most of the republicans in the senate and house want I don't see how it's possible. If they start over we're just going to end up with a bill that results in millions losing coverage and many more getting hit with higher costs... which will cause them to drop their coverage... which will...

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Literally, the only way they could get votes from some of their members on this bill was to promise them that this would never actually become law.

That's the level of cynicism that the GOP has had to stoop to. Promising members that a piece of legislation they are voting in support of will never actually get signed into law as-is, but that they need to vote for it so that they can make good on a promise rather than actually making good on the promise in spirit and action.

It's remarkable how the GOP has turned into a party that is completely incapable of governing in any regard when they are required to do any actual work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Does anybody not see him as a petty cunt throwing a tantrum because he lost at this point? If so? How?
    Blind admiration of course.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Literally, the only way they could get votes from some of their members on this bill was to promise them that this would never actually become law.

That's the level of cynicism that the GOP has had to stoop to. Promising members that a piece of legislation they are voting in support of will never actually get signed into law as-is, but that they need to vote for it so that they can make good on a promise rather than actually making good on the promise in spirit and action.

It's remarkable how the GOP has turned into a party that is completely incapable of governing in any regard when they are required to do any actual work.
    Jesus. That's . . . well, that's deplorable. So glad McCain stepped up along with the other two morally courageous heroes.

10+ Year Old Account

I suspect a very similar dynamic was happening under obama as well. They voted to repeal the aca alot but they knew obama would veto it. In fact iirc one of the things theyre voting on now was something they tried beford. The skinny repeal.

The aca is law and its fairly entrenched at this point. They probably should conceede attempts to destroy it legaslatively because its obvious. They can have the executive destroy it by merely gumming it up. In fact thats what thry are doing. Mitch just got greedy and so did his donors.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2017-07-31 at 05:06 AM.