Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Electric vehicles will be most useful in cities. Which is also the last place you'll see them in mass because of the shortcoming of how you charge the vehicle.

Tesla is doing well, but let's not forget they are one manufacturer in a sea of car makers who moved comical amounts of vehicles more than Tesla. There is a very long road before electric will be ready for the prime time.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should work on making them more affordable for workers rather than making them go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yeah I was thinking the same. Like twice a year we drive to Los Angeles, it's a bit over 500 mi so we'd have to charge once or twice which is find but if we'd have to sit in the car charging for 4 hours that's no fun.
    It shouldn't take that long.

One of those dots in Oregon is me, where it's pretty obvious they are trying to straddle Northern California traffic going to central Oregon and folks coming from Reno.

Tesla just last year dropped a charging station at one of the large grocery-mega-marts (Fred Meyer, owned by Kroger) so the expectation would be that you could get quite a bit of charge within the time it would take you to buy groceries. So let's say 1/2 an hour for road trippers to hit the service deli, eat a meal, then visit the restroom before heading out again.

We are roughly 360 miles from Reno, Portland, Sacramento and 200 from the largest town in central OR (Bend) so it would have to be a full charge or pretty close to it. It would be interesting to see how they break down the math on where to put the chargers, though I think many are just for folks doing fast commutes and wanting to top off.

Musk has made some very nice cars and I hope it's influencing the direction of electric cars. However, let's not give him too much credit for starting a car company, don't forget the nice subsidies he's received and the further subsidies for people buying those electric cars ($2,500 and up). It's success story that's inexorably linked to taxpayers. It's the old game of socializing risk and privatizing gains.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Electric vehicles will be most useful in cities. Which is also the last place you'll see them in mass because of the shortcoming of how you charge the vehicle.

Tesla is doing well, but let's not forget they are one manufacturer in a sea of car makers who moved comical amounts of vehicles more than Tesla. There is a very long road before electric will be ready for the prime time.
    Ya but they aren't doing poorly either, and with the Tesla 3 they now have a cheaper model. YtD they've sold a bit over 20k cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Did you even read what I typed? Re-read it and tell me I can charge it from home. Infact, I'll give you a pic of where I stay, I live in the blue circle area, then tell me I can charge it from home. Go on, explain how the hell I am meant to charge an electric car from my home in a safe way?

Talk to your land lord about adding a charging station on the front somewhere. And your responding to someone who mentioned the "future". At the present time, it would be unusable for a handful of people. Later on, cities and apartment complexes may very well invest in electrical charging especially if other car companies follow Tesla.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Talk to your land lord about adding a charging station on the front somewhere. And your responding to someone who mentioned the "future". At the present time, it would be unusable for a handful of people. Later on, cities and apartment complexes may very well invest in electrical charging especially if other car companies follow Tesla.
    Not to nitpick too much but that'll have to depend on whether or not universal charging styles are introduced. You really shouldn't have to run around with 5 different adapters in your trunk to try and match up to various manufacturer's stations.

At Home
    Wake Up Fully Charged
    Every Tesla comes standard with adapters to plug into common household outlets. Charge up to 52 miles of range per hour right from home. Just plug in your Tesla like a mobile phone and you’ll be fully charged by morning.

On the Road
    Supercharging
    Stay charged while you’re on the road using the Tesla Supercharger network. Placed along well traveled routes, a Supercharger provides up to 170 miles of range in as little as 30 minutes.

So if we drove to Los Angeles from here, about 500 mi, we'd have to leave it on the public super charger for what 1.5 hours? Not horrible but not as good as a 5 minute stop at a gas station.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    At Home
    Wake Up Fully Charged
    Every Tesla comes standard with adapters to plug into common household outlets. Charge up to 52 miles of range per hour right from home. Just plug in your Tesla like a mobile phone and you’ll be fully charged by morning.

On the Road
    Supercharging
    Stay charged while you’re on the road using the Tesla Supercharger network. Placed along well traveled routes, a Supercharger provides up to 170 miles of range in as little as 30 minutes.

So if we drove to Los Angeles from here, about 500 mi, we'd have to leave it on the public super charger for what 1.5 hours? Not horrible but not as good as a 5 minute stop at a gas station.
    I think that's with the 210mile range Tesla, seeing as the website also states an 80% charge in 30min. So if you go for the 300 mile range one it'd be probably around 250miles from your house, a meal while you charge then you're pretty much there by the time you have to charge next.
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

You look at Musk and you think, it's too good to be true, a lot of what he talks about. We're an optimistic bunch here but starting a whole new car corporation from scratch? I was skeptical.

Reviewers are saying I'm wrong, the Tesla 3 is all you hoped for and more.
    "From Scratch"? Tesla has been around for nearly 15 years now. The Model 3 is just the newest addition to the fold...a more budget-friendly electric car.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    "From Scratch"? Tesla has been around for nearly 15 years now. The Model 3 is just the newest addition to the fold...a more budget-friendly electric car.
    It's still from scratch it's not like he took over a company and just changed it's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Did you even read what I typed? Re-read it and tell me I can charge it from home. Infact, I'll give you a pic of where I stay, I live in the blue circle area, then tell me I can charge it from home. Go on, explain how the hell I am meant to charge an electric car from my home in a safe way?

Get yourself one of these beauties lol:

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

33k im thinking about getting one for my next car, those prices are pretty decent. Thats before government credit as well. So its really gona be under 30k and without the gaz payment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Get yourself one of these beauties lol:

Plus what kind of shitty building has no electric outlet outside the building. How do people clean their cars there? How do the landlord even get work done outside if theres no outlet to plug tools to do work outdoor wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    It's still from scratch it's not like he took over a company and just changed it's name.
    Yes, he did start it from scratch...but he didn't start with the model 3. Tesla was already a successful company long before the Model 3 was even designed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    He should work on making them more affordable for workers rather than making them go faster.
    30k for a brand new car... seems pretty regular prices up here?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    How do people clean their cars there?
    Bucket and sponge? Hosepipe?
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Ya i think Karadros got it right sadly..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    Sylvanas is flawless and should be canonized as a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by Karadros View Post
    Bucket and sponge? Hosepipe?
    I think he's talking about cleaning the interior...vaccuum cleaner and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Ya but they aren't doing poorly either, and with the Tesla 3 they now have a cheaper model. YtD they've sold a bit over 20k cars.
    Tesla is doing very well, I'd say they are doing great for a new vehicles manufacturer.
    I'm speaking in general terms for electric vehicles. In my area the available charging stations are already close to being overwhelmed by the amount of Tesla/Volts on the road.

Even if Musk doubled the charging infrastructure it's doubtful it will cover the sold Model 3s let alone any other manufacturer.

We are just so far from even a small percentage of all cars to be electric, being able to support that... We are so far away. Hell the Model 3 could be a failure if no extra infrastructure actually get built.

Likely what will happen to revolution the EV industry is to battery swap stations. Likely this will be today's gas stations outfitted with a battery changing station where those old car washes were. They swap the battery in 1-5 minutes with a fully charged battery and will start recharging the battery they just received from your vehicle.

Obviously there's tons of logistics to work out and likely you'll see certain gas stations partnering with certain EV manufacturers, and possibly seeing some standardized batteries in the future, so manufacturers will also partner together in sharing battery tech, so their group of cars can all be serviced from the same location.

IMO, this is the only way in our current technology to make EV work going long distances or just making it so folks aren't scared they are going to get stranded every time they have to drive to town.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2017-07-31 at 03:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    33k im thinking about getting one for my next car, those prices are pretty decent. Thats before government credit as well. So its really gona be under 30k and without the gaz payment.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus what kind of shitty building has no electric outlet outside the building. How do people clean their cars there? How do the landlord even get work done outside if theres no outlet to plug tools to do work outdoor wtf?
    we go to those place that u know clean your cars... also in some cities and even european countries is illegal to clean your car in the street