Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    I wish we still lived in caves, ate raw meat, and died in our 20s. Because I don't like science.

I like science, even the boring crap sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I wish we still lived in caves, ate raw meat, and died in our 20s. Because I don't like science.
    Art was perfect back then too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    From Ken Hovind to Armored Skeptic, or Amazing Atheist to Thunderfoot,
    Such great examples of scientific minds... /s

I like how this became about religion in about 3 posts. Not that the OP helps any, liking/disliking science as a whole is a stupid concept in itself. I hate how politicized it has become, its simply our methodology of understanding the universe around us to the best of our abilities, flawed as they may be. People abuse their own pseudo-science to push agendas, sell snake oil, or mislead others in all kinds of harmful ways. You should always be critical of the things you hear or read, even if they align with your beliefs, echo chambers get us nowhere.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Science doesn't care what you like, your opinions, or your feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    That's an odd title. Science doesn't conform to narratives. It gets peer reviewed to ensure its correct.
    If only this were true. Trust me. As someone who worked in pharmaceutical research, the people are paying you to get the answer they want from your research. They don't care about anything else. Integrity means nothing to them, just money. Had to quit my lifelong dream because of it. No megacorporation (the only people that can afford to fund research) is going to pay hundreds of millions of dollars on research that's going to invalidate their product. Peers can review all they want, but they would have to invest a ton of money for the chance of proving you wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Do people genuinely like science, or do they only like since when it agrees with their narrative?

I can honestly say that I genuinely like science beyond just using it to help support my world view because I actively search studies that go against my own world view. I also regularly try to destroy my own belief system at least once a week.
    That's...an impossible question. Science is simply a much too wide concept to be simply "liked" or "disliked". Science gave us the polio vaccine. What's not to like about that? It also gave us agent orange. What kind of twisted fuck would be happy about that?

Science can be enormously beneficial, or enormously destructive. It cannot be simply "liked" or "disliked".

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Science is like a tsundere lover, it has given us a longer life with benefits and it has given us new ways to kill and maim our selfs

10+ Year Old Account
    Some stuff is 'just cool' like radiation, quantum-mechanics, bionics, disease cures etc.

I personally am a lot more boring, I just like to make sense of numbers/data. As if they are puzzles to solve.
    But now the biggest part,
    is all about the image
    and not the art

I like the biological sciences so much that I might pursue a PhD after I get my MD this year.

Genetics and Immunology as a whole are just fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I like the biological sciences so much that I might pursue a PhD after I get my MD this year.

Genetics and Immunology as a whole are just fascinating.
    Speaking as someone with a PhD in Microbiology/Immunology, I'd strongly suggest that you make sure you talk to a good number of people that have done it at first. Liking research isn't the same thing as enjoying a PhD program - bad times and shitty career options lie that way.

I love science. It's extremely upsetting and discouraging how many people these days don't believe in facts unless it supports their narrative or agenda though. We're in the era where it's possible to be the most intelligent humans to date yet so many choose to be extremely ignorant. Shame.

Yeah, people like science.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook12 View Post
    Do people genuinely like science, or do they only like since when it agrees with their narrative?

I can honestly say that I genuinely like science beyond just using it to help support my world view because I actively search studies that go against my own world view. I also regularly try to destroy my own belief system at least once a week.
    cool thread, i'm sure the brilliant minds at mmo-champ will reach an accurate consensus on how the 7.5 billion people on earth feel about an abstract designation for myriad academic pursuits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    An alcoholic fighting his addiction is fighting a jihad.

Deleted
    Natural sciences are one thing. Social and political sciences... well, you need to be more careful with those. While the laws of physics are what they are and don't give a damn about people's ideological bias, social sciences aren't that exact; they leave too much room for "interpretation", which certain kind of people seem to understand as a permission to talk pure garbage under shabby excuses, leading to SJW-infested aberrations such as "women's studies".

10+ Year Old Account
    No they like what science provides and they are on bored with how they think it works, until they find out OH science is actually kind of boring especially if you are excited about it for the wrong reasons or stupid reasons meaning you think you can use it to bolster arguments it doesn't.

By the best people who know what it is, science can be very tedious frustrating but very rewarding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    Science doesn't care what you like, your opinions, or your feelings.
    This complete and utter horseshit is fucking over used by often the dumbest fucking people who know absolutely zip about science as much as those they try to tear down.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This complete and utter horseshit is fucking over used by often the dumbest fucking people who know absolutely zip about science as much as those they try to tear down.
    It's true for certain crowds. Flat earthers can whine all day long and scientists won't give a damn. But in general, I agree that it's silly.

Opinions and feelings certainly affect how science is carried out. This isn't something that can be removed, either. Scientists will only ever investigate avenues that they believe are worth investigating. The pieces for special relativity were basically all there before Einstein put them together, but nobody else did because the prevalent opinion of the time was that there was one absolute reference frame.

The subjective nature of scientists certainly impacts how quickly science progresses. Even the natural sciences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    You fuckin talking to me? What are you even basing your nonsense on.
    I don't have the inclination to even care to check as to whether I was replying to something you might have written. In the future you might want to actually resolve to use information to make a retort. Your reply is laughable. Please work toward making intelligent replies in the future.