Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Yeah, I'm going with "delusional" for you.

Ciao.
    Well, it would certainly be educational if you could show us exactly how to just roll over and let cops torture us. I am terribly afraid I would be "non-compliant" should this very tragedy fall on me.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Can you find a quote (paraphrased): "They stunned him while he was restrained in the chair for the funsies of it all"?

- - - Updated - - -
    Umm...yes?

'I'll keep on doing that until I run out of batteries,' the officer is heard telling Norris in the jail surveillance footage.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well that guy is gonna get a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Nothing more to the story will ever justify torturing someone.
    I am pretty sure it's just vastly different standards at work here.

Most of us believe in basic human rights. Some don't, and by extension that means they believe cops get carte blanche to inflict cruel and unusual punishment on whoever they like, and moreso if they "resist", which usually just means uncontrollable bodily reflexes like twitching or curling up in pain.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Cop shooting happens, people whine about cops not using tazers.

Cops use tasers, people complain its excessive.

Cant fucking win with people.

We don't know the full story, there is a chance that the cops were excessive. Just like there is a chance that this individual was being non-compliant and fighting/spitting/bitting/etc. And to people saying people are justified in struggling while being restrained/tassed, you are what is wrong. They are doing this to get you to stop being a danger to yourself and others 99.999% of the time. But lets ignore that, lets just hop on the "Fuck the Police" train bandwagon.

If only every story of a cop just doing his job, doing good for the community, these extremely rare occurrences would be drowned out.

It is like with certain religious groups, sure the vast majority of them don't believe in terrorism, but all it takes is that little minority, and the news who love the ratings when they get the story to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Findlyn View Post
    We don't know the full story,
    Is this before or after the fact there are videos showing the entire process? In the latter case, shouldn't you consider changing it to "We don't want to know the full story" instead?

Deleted
    Norris was arrested November 3, 2016, for felony manufacturing/possession of marijuana for resale, possession of drug paraphernalia, theft under $500 and five counts of possession of a prohibited weapon, vandalism of over $1,000 and simple assault.

Sounds like your typical violent drug addict.

People, just stop talking already. He was tasered AFTER he was TIED TO A CHAIR. 4 times. With a remark "until I run out of batteries".
    It literally does not matter why he was in the chair at this point and no, it cannot be defended. And it is basically guaranteed that he is gonna sue and win some serious cash.
    I just wonder what is the punishment going to be for those three.
    P.S.
    Do they not know that there were cameras?

You know for absolute fact that they were torturing him? Do you equate physically restraining someone to torture? Are you suggesting they could have used soothing words to make him more compliant?

It seems odd the cops knew they were being filmed yet still chose to 'torture' that person. Which leads me to the conclusion there is more to it than what we are told or can see. That news report is riddled with perception bias, just like some of the comments in this thread.

This is why there is hate of the police force, but honestly its something every country needs and devotes far too few resources too.
    Everywhere needs better training and better Vetting and more brave people to step forward to be part of the force.

Don't hate on the police and show them respect, so when these bad apples show up they are spat upon by normal people and fellow police officers alike, creating an issue with police only leads them to worry if normal people are out to get them in an already dangerous job.

Plus remember when the Berkley major pulled back the entire police force and allowed Antifa to break the law? - Just because you see some cops as anti people doesn't mean they are, they have orders to obey even if they are stupid ones, many i suspect wanted to go in and break things up but couldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

I also like how it was "simple assault" so he only beat up the person a little? or that was all they could charge him with, despite it looking worse? we don't have many facts but it does sound excessive, but my main issue is don't take a couple of incidents of bad cops to turn on the entire system, of which every country needs, anyone who thinks otherwise is completely bonkers.

Better training, better pay and more people encouraged to join, is what we need.
    Dragonflight Nerfs vs fun again show a Blizzard that hasn't learnt a lesson, Actions speak louder than words afterall watch what they do and do not do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    It seems odd the cops knew they were being filmed yet still chose to 'torture' that person. Which leads me to the conclusion there is more to it than what we are told or can see. That news report is riddled with perception bias, just like some of the comments in this thread.
    This guy was a drug dealer and most likely a heavy user as well, plus judging by the charges he clearly had the violent nature of a habitual criminal. He might well have been so heavily in drugs that he couldn't be calmed down in other ways that were available at the time.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    'Most of the taser burns sustained by Plaintiff Norris are not accounted for by the Use of Force Reports and video clips received from the Cheatham County Sheriff's Office, raising further questions and creating a reasonable belief that Plaintiff Norris was also repeatedly tased on other occasions without proper justification,' said the suit.
    Once again proving the cameras aren't so effective if they can be turned off willy nilly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    This guy was a drug dealer and most likely a heavy user as well, plus judging by the charges he clearly had the violent nature of a habitual criminal. He might well have been so heavily in drugs that he couldn't be calmed down in other ways that were available at the time.
    They caught him with pot. Not typically known for giving people inhuman strength and bursts of rage, unless confronted with an all you can eat buffet.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems odd the cops knew they were being filmed yet still chose to 'torture' that person.
    Given the abhorrent shit cops tend to get away with, I'm not surprised that they might actually have thought nothing of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    They caught him with pot. Not typically known for giving people inhuman strength and bursts of rage, unless confronted with an all you can eat buffet.
    Doesn't mean it couldn't push a mind that's already naturally depraved and full of anti-cop attitude over the edge. A 19-year old guy is physically a man and can be strong as hell.

- - - Updated - - -

If he was restrained and bound to a chair it doesn't matter because he's not a threat to anyone.
    He might have been wriggling violently enough to risk either hurting himself or breaking the chair and getting loose. People do stupid things with their mind on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    I really don't feel bad about American cops getting killed. There's enough bad apples here to spoil the bunch.
    I am a cop. Seriously what in the world is wrong with you ? Not every person, including cops, are bad. This seriously breaks my heart to see this.

I have 3 children. I have a lovimg wife as well. Some of these comments like this are unacceptable. And yes, i work for a respectable state agency.

Dont get mad at the police officer... get mad at all the human resource offices around the country hiring sadistic motherfuckers to be cops. Maybe hire decent people and you wont get sadistic, murdering crazy people.

If it's the case that they tazed him while he was restrained then that is torture.

So your argument hinges on whether or not cameras stop people from doing stupid shit. Riiight, no one's ever committed a crime while knowingly being filmed.

What is perception bias? Never heard that term before.
    If they deliberately tortured the guy while knowingly being filmed then they are thugs and should be imprisoned for being thugs and incomprehensibly stupid.

Perception bias is basically seeing what you want to see while filtering out anything upsets you or you disagree with.

Perceptual bias is the lens we automatically filter all of our experiences through. It makes some things seem more noteworthy than others. It guides our reactions and thoughts about what we experience, see, or feel. You cannot get entirely away from perceptual bias.

No, I said the boy was tased because he was non-compliant, which means he acted up before he was tased, which is a thought supported by the article.

Which is why I asked if you'd read it...but...
    Non compliant is not a justifiable excuse for police to use force. There has to be escalation. Noncompliance could simply be a person refusing to put his hands up. Its not going to justify excessive force until he puts his hand inside his jacket.

You do know there is a video of the kid being restrained and tased in the article right? You seem to have only glanced at the article so far as to justifiy whatever assumptions you already had about this case and ignored anything that might not jive with your preconceptions. But let me repeat it, he was subdued and they were tasing him. He wasnt attacking them, he showed no telltale signs of danger to bystanders or police officers. He was subdued in a chair and two officers were helping another officer tase a person.

Here's the original source. There's like 6 camera's in the room and 6 police. Cops say he was suicidal and banging his head against the wall, they first put him in a restraining chair.

In the old days they would've beaten him with their night sticks.

They finally took him to a mental health facility.

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/new...ing-to-lawsuit

ASHLAND CITY, Tenn. - A newly filed federal lawsuit has claimed Cheatham County Sheriff's Deputies used excessive force on an 18-year-old in custody in 2016.

Jordan Norris was arrested on drug and weapons charges last November and spent several days in Cheatham County Jail.

The lawsuit named three deputies as defendants and claimed Norris was tased while he was "physically restrained" in a restraint chair.

"It's terrible," Norris said as he pushed back tears.

Pictures filed with the lawsuit showed his body covered with burn marks after he was released from jail.

His stepfather remembered asking him what happened after seeing the marks on his body.

"I said, 'Jordan what is that?' It looked like he had the measles. And he said, 'That's where they tased me.' I could not wrap my head around that," William Chapman said.

Chapman said he counted more than forty burns.

"I was actually giving the police benefit of the doubt over my own child because I was thinking he must have been fighting back, he must have been resisting," Chapman said.

But his opinion changed when he saw the jail's video. It was taken in the booking room and from cameras on the tasers themselves.

They seemed to show deputies used tasers over and over again to stun Norris while he was in a restraint chair.

Cheatham County's Use of Force Report indicated Norris began "banging his head against the door" of his cell and was threatening other inmates.

The booking camera video showed deputies remove Norris from his cell and bring him into a restraint chair.

Restraint chairs have been used to keep inmates from harming themselves or others.

"I think he had some sort of breakdown. They said he was feeling suicidal," Chapman said.

Chapman said it's clear his son was not in his right mind.

The video showed multiple officers around Norris who clearly continued to struggle.

Deputies used a handheld taser to "dry stun" Norris as they attempted to get him in the chair.

But the lawsuit claimed deputies tased Norris later that night while he was on suicide watch -- "physically restrained by the chair and multiple officers."

Sheriff Breedlove said officers followed procedure because Norris continued flinching and was not fully restrained.

On the video you can hear one deputy tell Norris, "I'll keep doing that until I run out of batteries."

Norris said he remembered deputies asking him, "Do you want me to do it again? We got a whole bunch of batteries we can drain into you pretty much. We will do it over and over until we have no more."

On the sheriff office's Facebook page from the week Norris was arrested -- the sheriff himself seemed to taunt Norris.

He wrote that Norris "peed a little bit" when he was first arrested by the SWAT Team.

The sheriff called Norris "a drug dealer by trade and on the fast track to live the thug Life."

Breedlove said the Facebook page is meant to be humorous and entertaining and he writes once a week to update the public about the arrests made by the department.

He said Norris's treatment after he was arrested was not taunting, but necessary.

Attorney Ben Raybin said the force was excessive and not appropriate.

"We think the tapes speak for themselves," Raybin said.

Norris was finally taken to a patrol car to go to the hospital.

He was still in the chair as he was rolled out to the parking lot.

He appeared unaware of what was happening.

One deputy said to him, "We're going to lift you up, and we're going to take you to the car. "

Norris responded, "No, no."

Norris later broke out the window to a patrol car before being taken to a mental health facility.

His family said no one deserves what happened to him.

"When I found that he was actually strapped to a restraint chair, it was even more mind boggling. It didn't make any sense," Chapman said.

Sheriff Breedlove declined an on-camera interview, but said his deputies followed procedure.

He said Norris was strong and out of control.

He said they had to "dry stun" him to gain compliance.

He said "dry stunning" involves less voltage than if someone were tased using prongs that attach to the body.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

If they deliberately tortured the guy while knowingly being filmed then they are thugs and should be imprisoned for being thugs and incomprehensibly stupid.

Perception bias is basically seeing what you want to see while filtering out anything upsets you or you disagree with.
    Yeah, of which a perfect example involves you pretending all those videos of the act happening didn't exist, provided in the article linked.

Well, two points.

1) If he hadn't done a crime in the first place, he would never be there getting tasered, right? Huh... something to think about... maybe don't do bad stuff, and less chance something bad happens to you.... nah... crazy.

2) All the people here saying "I hate American cops" because a few beat up some deserving criminals a little too hard for their liking, thus judging all by the actions of a few.... and YET, we can have a "certain group" in America causing the majority of the violent crime, and these same people get mad if you judge that group, and we can have another "certain group" causing the majority of terror/knife/car attacks in Europe, and again, the same people who hate on the police will hate you for judging that group. Funny how that works, huh?