Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia

The irony and hypocrisy of Brexit

Hello all.

Basically, Britain heavily supported and even came up with many of the various EU policies that they eventually used as a reason to back out of EU membership. Examples being the single market, regional funds, attempting to get Turkey into the EU, ECJ jurisdiction in certain areas, pushing for integration of ex-communist member states and citizens. It goes on and on. Here's a video that goes into more detail.

So yeah, Brexit wasn't at all an irresponsible, hypocritical, bitchy, whiny and stupid move.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't live in the UK but what I've said before applies here again.

This is what happens when you elect right wingnuts to power.

I'd take you're "tories" over our Republicans any day though.
    Last edited by Wvvtayy; 2017-07-31 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Hello all.

Basically, Britain heavily supported and even came up with many of the various EU policies that they eventually used as a reason to back out of EU membership. Examples being the single market, regional funds, attempting to get Turkey into the EU, ECJ jurisdiction in certain areas, pushing for integration of ex-communist member states and citizens. It goes on and on. Here's a video that goes into more detail.

So yeah, Brexit wasn't at all an irresponsible, hypocritical, bitchy, whiny and stupid move.
    All of which done without ever consulting the British public.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    Not defending brexit or right wing policies but...wasnt it voted on in a referendum?

Not saying that makes it better, but was that not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Wvvtayy View Post
    Not defending brexit or right wing policies but...wasnt it voted on in a referendum?

Not saying that makes it better, but was that not the case?
    We had a referendum in 1975 where UK politicians basically missold the concept to its electorate. What followed was 40 years of increasing political union which the UK electorate was not able to vote for until last year when the electorate was given another chance to have their say.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    I'm sorry, but the government is the representation of the British public. It might not be if we were talking about North Korea, but we're not. We're talking about a democracy that chose to elect leaders who enacted these measures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    The eu referendum wasn't a partisan issue, with the majority of Tory MPs voting to remain in the eu.
    It wasn't partisan, but the Tories did try to eat their cake and have it too, by appeasing to the electorate through a referendum, all the while actually supporting EU membership. It wasn't done out of fairness, or love of democracy. It was done to garner support from the public who wanted to express their views about the EU.

Hello all.

Tbh,when we entered into the single market there wasn't anything called the EU, it was called the EC then, European Community, a collection of like minded countries entering into a free trade agreement. What the EC developed into is something totally different, their ultimate aim is total political union as they have stated on numerous occations. The EU's insistance of unlimmited mass immigration is unsustainable, nothing wrong with immigration, the UK needs immigrants but the problem is with the word unlimited. Also so many other laws have been stuck onto the original agreements that at some point you have to say... wait a minute, thats not we signed up for. I expect a few painful years economically, that's pretty much inevitable but eventually the economy will ajust to a new reality. It's not like Trump, notreally a right wing thing, many left wing Labour supporters voted for it aswell.

7+ Year Old Account

What a regressive video harping on about the good old days of the past century. Progressive brexiteers and the country have moved on and look forward to the future, independent and free. Just in the last 7 days wonderful news to look forward to from the US/UK trade deal, something the EU can only dream of.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/...21674987761664

Today we can look forward to control of our borders, unlimited EU migrants in the millions straining UK public services no more, brilliant.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUSKBN1AG16X

And again this week German investment post brexit recognising superior British free enterprise and skills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40718892

3 good reasons in just a week for brexit, and not a daily express link in sight, got to feel sorry for those stuck in the past weepy remainers. Brexit can't come soon enough and let the good times roll. Got to move with the times kiddos, the EU is so last century.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by druenos View Post
    The EU's insistance of unlimmited mass immigration
    Feel free to provide proof for your claim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It was done because David Cameron felt threatened by Nigel Farage and the rise of ukip.
    To think Tony Blair could have settled this issue over a decade ago when he promised and then reneged on a referendum. I seriously doubt that Leave would have won back then.

7+ Year Old Account
    Basically, Britain heavily supported and even came up with many of the various EU policies that they eventually used as a reason to back out of EU membership.
    "Britain" or "the British government" - there is a difference .

the single market
    Most Brexiteers support minimal tariffs and the like, they just think the (from their point of view) bad aspects of the single market (ohai free movement of peoples) outweigh the benefits.

regional funds
    You mean like how EU money gets spent on beaches in Cornwall and such? Well the UK's had a pretty interventionist government since around the time of WW1, so (a) getting EU money back and (b) spending it on pet projects doesn't seem a big shocker TBH.

attempting to get Turkey into the EU
    God knows why.

ECJ jurisdiction in certain areas
    God knows why.

pushing for integration of ex-communist member states and citizens
    Giving them a leg up I support. Letting them all get jobs in the UK I don't.

You'll notice the Brits who support all that EU garbage are the ones who voted *against* Brexit - and lost. Meaning, basically, that the people of Britain did not like what they were doing.

Still not tired of winning.

I'm sorry, but the government is the representation of the British public. It might not be if we were talking about North Korea, but we're not. We're talking about a democracy that chose to elect leaders who enacted these measures.
    The trouble is when all the main political parties (i.e. anyone with a sniff of getting into power) were pro-EU that doesn't really help give those people a voice does it.

I was planning a vacation in the UK somewhere in 2019, but I guess I will have to give my money to some other country now.
    I wonder how much money you will lose from tourism.

Hello all.

No, it wasn't.

It was a move to protect their culture and native heritage from the globalists.

Why is that hard to understand, and or, why are you against that?

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    I was planning a vacation in the UK somewhere in 2019, but I guess I will have to give my money to some other country now.
    I wonder how much money you will lose from tourism.
    What??? What would stop you still coming on holiday to the UK?

The removal of EU free travel, obviously. I'm not applying for a visa, that's way too slow, expensive and annoying.

London is only 40% Native Britain.

Droves of immigrants roam Britain wearing burkas and other bizarre shit.

If I wanted to be around that I would visit the Middle East, not a Western European metropolis, or country.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    The removal of EU free travel, obviously. I'm not applying for a visa, that's way too slow, expensive and annoying.
    What on earth makes you think you would need a visa to travel to the UK in 2019?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    And again this week German investment post brexit recognising superior British free enterprise and skills.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40718892
    "BMW says the economic case for building the electric mini in Oxford is compelling, and it's easy to see why.
    This is not a brand new car, redesigned from the ground up. It's a Mini, a 3-door hatchback, which will in many ways be identical to the cars already being built at the Cowley plant.
    The electric bit - the drivetrain, which includes the motor, gearbox and battery pack - will be assembled in Germany, and fixed to the rest of the car in the factory."

I loled, thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

What on earth makes you think you would need a visa to travel to the UK in 2019?
    Suggestions that freedom of movement will continue after the UK leaves the EU are wrong, Downing Street has said.
    This is form BBC, which should be fairly reliable.