View Poll Results: What is your definition of evil?

Voters
103. This poll is closed
  • Evil is to be cruel and cause pain.

43 41.75%
  • Evil is to destroy everything and absent of all creation.

9 8.74%
  • Evil is the absents of Choice.

7 6.80%
  • Evil is Something else.

44 42.72%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Don't have a definition for it, i don't quite believe in "evil" or "good" at least not in a pure form of it. Depends on the situation i guess interesting topic though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Those social support systems are being horribly abused, as I have said many times.
    And you have not given any example. Just a pathetic statement.

A lot of people on this very forum are abusers.
    You dont know anyone from these forums. So that is just a stereotype.

Nobody is demanding they be a coal miner, but can they at least do data entry? A secretary and answer phones WHILE posting on MMO Champion? Anything but just sitting home absorbing welfare?
    So many assumptions. You actually dont even know the people you talk about.

I just hate welfare and how hard it is abused.
    Recklessness: I dont want to help others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-08-01 at 08:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Gotta say, when Clint Eastwood pressured Sondra Locke into having an abortion while cheating on her and having a child with a flight attendant might be evil.
    Well I used his photo not because he was evil at all, in fact he has a pretty neutral and harmless.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While I too personally find such stuff disturbing, I can't agree that it classifies as evil. Evil is not defined by your personal value set (and if it was I could call you evil for the clearly bigotted way in which you describe and prejudice Caster Semenya)

Rats are a pest that do great harm, particularly in poor shanty towns such as where Caster grew up. Not only do they consume and ruin food belonging to people who can ill afford it, but they have been known to even eat babies. I think it is understandable that she should hold such ill will against the creatures even if we don't agree with her actions. It's so easy to judge when we don't understand the context....
    This person went out of their way to cut the animal's limbs and nose off while it was still alive, and posted in on Instragram FFS.

It's deliberate torture FULL STOP. Don't make excuses for her.
    Last edited by Burgerberg; 2017-08-01 at 08:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    Evil is acting either for personal gain or amusement, though you know for sure that someone is harmed in any way through your actions. This can coincide with acting against morals or law, but does not have to be (because some moral or legal rules can be evil just as well).

Sadistic is, if you especially want others to suffer. Negligence is if you don't care about someone being harmed, but don't have this as a goal, either.

- - - Updated - - -

You want to pay for the poor, because if they happen to organise, they could easily kill you, no matter how many guns you own. French Aristocraty had it's lession. If there are enough warm bodies to push from the bottom, the will eventually bring an end to a smaller upper class.

You Americans are brainwashed into believing that you can get rich by yourself, and thus don't raise a hand against people who are abusing you from the cradle to the grave. You are slaves for an establishment, and you are even voting for a millionnaire, who surely will not easy the needs of your society. For what do you have your guns, exactly?
    Isn't acting for personal gain natural and amusement in the case of humans.

I think caring either way can be tools for evil, but I don't think most are evil. I think Evil is pretty rare and the source is pretty much on of it's own. I think that is the temptation of control, to stifle choice even without reason and by default making people slaves.

I mean I believe in the rule of law and that there should be authority and order.

But everything should have it's limits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Isn't acting for personal gain natural and amusement in the case of humans.
    So is the wish to help others and to commiserate.

Humans are a social species.

I'd define "evil" as the lack of concern for others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    So is the wish to help others and to commiserate.

Humans are a social species.
    Not always, I think that is a myth, that is perpetuated by one type of person and not so much about others, and by default some get pegged as being creepy, rude or anti social.

I am an introvert, in addition to a whole bunch things and for the most part I hate people in general, but that isn't everybody else's problem that is my problem and I know this and I deal with it.

Now saying I hate people doesn't mean I wish them ill, or anybody made to suffer or dead specifically. But it is true I find the idea of people on a personal level very, very exhausting and extremely uncomfortable.

I enjoy being alone, I rather not be asked or left out of events or parties. Which some people I know who I am friends with are the opposite. I love those few I known as friends for years, but even with them I have the same issues.

I am sure that can come come across evil especially considering my perspective not actions can be a bit unsettling for others.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2017-08-01 at 08:21 AM.

The true nature of mankind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I'd define "evil" as the lack of concern for others.
    Why, though?

Maybe for some the only reason to be concerned with others is when there is a direct or indirect reason to be. How is that evil?

I mean there are those that get off on hurting other and they take maybe too much of a concern for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While I too personally find such stuff disturbing, I can't agree that it classifies as evil. Evil is not defined by your personal value set (and if it was I could call you evil for the clearly bigotted way in which you describe and prejudice Caster Semenya)

Rats are a pest that do great harm, particularly in poor shanty towns such as where Caster grew up. Not only do they consume and ruin food belonging to people who can ill afford it, but they have been known to even eat babies. I think it is understandable that she should hold such ill will against the creatures even if we don't agree with her actions. It's so easy to judge when we don't understand the context....
    You're out of your mind.

Going by this logic, it's not evil to torture a human being because humans also do great harm (worse than a rat ever would).

This person is a gold medallist and a role model for hundreds of thousands of people (and impressionable young minds). They should know better than to post themselves laughing as they torture a helpless animal. She can hate the animal all she wants, but that doesn't excuse the actions.

As for context, get real. They tortured an animal and treated it as some sort of joke. Please tell me what possible context there is for that. He (or she) is a cunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    To intentionally cause harm for your own gain or pleasure, especially when said harm could be avoided or is unnecessary.
    Thank you Mr. Jensen.
    This is my definition as well.

Why, though?
    I think it's pretty self-obvious.
    I mean there are those that get off on hurting other and they take maybe too much of a concern for others.
    That's not what "concern" means.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere between here and the sick, twisted world inside my head
    Religion, plain and simple!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I think it's pretty self-obvious.

That's not what "concern" means.
    Well it isn't a positive use of the same word that could also relate to helping someone out or looking out for them.

I think if you mean being aware and conscious of our social and other kinds of environment, I don't think one has to be concerned about others to do that. Over all I don't think that is GOOD.

Anymore than Concern in a negative way is Evil.

I think hurting people is stupid, I think having a lack of concern for ones own environment is self harm as well. I would say most might agree.

I am not going to plug wholes in the ship I am on along with everyone else, help anyone else, or hinder those maybe aware there are holes in the ship, and trying to make sure it doesn't sink so none go down or sink.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    This person went out of their way to cut the animal's limbs and nose off while it was still alive, and posted in on Instragram FFS.
    Which goes against your values. Doesn't make it objectively evil. It makes it objectionable to you. What I am saying is that if you had grown up in a different context (like a village in Africa) you might see things a bit differently.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that the act is pretty objectionable and would be inexcusable from someone with a first world upbringing. The difference is I maybe have a bit more insight into the circumstances that would have shaped the person growing up and the values they were raised with. Whereas you just want to react, it seems, with moral outrage rather than rational thought. It's not right to, from your priveleged position, judge the actions of people from a far less priveleged background. It's pretty offensive actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    It's deliberate torture FULL STOP. Don't make excuses for her.
    Ok, that's cool. I accept your position. And for being a racist elitist who and prejudices people based on their gender, I call you evil. FULL STOP. Don't even try to deny it, or make excuses, or even a reasonable argument. Not going to bother reading it. Because I have decided. So there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Those social support systems are being horribly abused, as I have said many times. A lot of people on this very forum are abusers. Why is it someone can read, write, and play video games but not do a job of ANY type? Nobody is demanding they be a coal miner, but can they at least do data entry? A secretary and answer phones WHILE posting on MMO Champion? Anything but just sitting home absorbing welfare?
    To people like you I only wish one thing:

BE JOBLESS. Apply again and again for all kinds of jobs just to get rejected over and over.
    Yes it is possible. I have studied engineering and have a good diploma. No one wanted to hire me. I was jobless for a few years and now I am working as a friggin secretary but it's a limited position that ends Sept. 2018. (Thank God I finally found at least something)

By your definition I would have been one of those "leeches".

People like you need to realize the hard math: # unemployed > # of vacant positions. 100% employment is
    a) mathematically impossible
    b) not wanted by the industry, because it would enable the worker to choose, effectively giving them the power to dictate terms.

Yes, I realize that there are some leeches that really do not want to work. But many unemployed people try really hard and still get rejected. Do you have any idea what that does to a persons self esteem in the long run? Last thing they need is "snobby, lucky people" trampling on them too just to make themselves feel superior.

Deleted
    Nature is evil.

Greed, Hate, Vengeance, Discrimination are all things nature has created because being evil is easier and more beneifical in terms of survival than being good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    You're out of your mind.

Going by this logic, it's not evil to torture a human being because humans also do great harm (worse than a rat ever would).

This person is a gold medallist and a role model for hundreds of thousands of people (and impressionable young minds). They should know better than to post themselves laughing as they torture a helpless animal. She can hate the animal all she wants, but that doesn't excuse the actions.

As for context, get real. They tortured an animal and treated it as some sort of joke. Please tell me what possible context there is for that. He (or she) is a cunt.
    But that is perspective, a rat isn't going to harm you out of spite either, but if it thinks there is cause to do so, it isn't going to hesitate if it figures no other choice exist.

Human being are more intelligent and have more power therefor, it is presumed we have the greater responsibility because our choices have the biggest impact mostly reflected back on us.

Someone torturing another human being isn't doing so generally out of need, they might choose to, but what is behind that choice could be a lack of understanding, or a greater want for something more valued.

It's a defect.

Evil, true evil I don't think is that particular, evil serves itself, not it's agent or agency. I believe that is the temptation and the rub. Doing harm to others killing war without clear purpose especially when there are tools to better problem solving.

That can only be evil, if it is known, and that is a choices made. Very few literally want to world to burn with themselves in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Nature is evil.

Greed, Hate, Vengeance, Discrimination are all things nature has created because being evil is easier and more beneifical in terms of survival than being good.
    Nature simply is, I think it is a mistake to believe it has any allegiance to GOOD or EVIL.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it is true I find the idea of people on a personal level very, very exhausting and extremely uncomfortable.
    I enjoy being alone, I rather not be asked or left out of events or parties. Which some people I know who I am friends with are the opposite. I love those few I known as friends for years, but even with them I have the same issues.
    I feel the same.
    I too have very few friends I dearly love but even being with them is draining my mental energy (despite me enjoying their company).
    In general I am only at peace and truly comfortable when I am alone.

As much as I would like a wife (I'm still human) I don't think I could cope with being with another human every day.