Every time they release a balance update it makes me want to play less.

Shitcanning poison for a theoretical 1m+ dps build no one will be able to do without skipping every defensive node on the tree; obliterating charges, releasing a new +Trap skill chest piece and nerfing the synergy between it and frenzy charges (Attack skill =/ Trap skill).

Double boss HP, nerf the shit out of Shock and Chill. Barf.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I never bothered with challenges usually, but DAMN those glowing eyes effect.
    Same, I usually just fuck about, finish with maybe 15/20 challenges... but I NEED THOSE GLOWING EYES!

I have a Mjolner character called Odinson and he NEEDS glowing eyes.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Development Manifesto regarding these changes on the Beta.
    Argh Assassin nerfs

Well, given how strong is crit, i suppose it was only a matter of time.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Deleted
    game looks good but when reading up and watching videos on skill gems and talent trees etc looks like its very difficult

is the game easy to pick up and get going or does it take alot of adjusting and learning how things work and doing correct builds before you can have fun?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankdruid View Post
    game looks good but when reading up and watching videos on skill gems and talent trees etc looks like its very difficult
    Tbh, I think there are two solid, equally strong ways to roll your first character...

Option 1: RESEARCH! Go to the main site, here, Reddit etc, find a decent build that you think looks fun, roll up the correct character and follow the build/Ascension/Gear set up that the guide tells you to play. By doing this you'll learn the basics, but also end up with a character that can clear pretty far.

Option 2: LEEEEEEEROY JENKINS! Just build something. Fuck it. Go in, play the game, stick points into whatever looks good to you, use whatever gems drop, and wear what you can find/buy. There's a pretty good chance that you'll end up with a fairly shite character... BUT, you'll get a first hand look and what you should and shouldn't do when rolling a character in PoE. Your SECOND character will be far better.

As I said, both are solid options, and now is a GREAT time to start, with 3.0 coming in a few days.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    i always recommend new players to find a build you think looks fun and going for it on your first character.

i've had a few friends who went in completely blind and just did their own build, who all lost interest in the game because their first character was bad and couldn't clear end-game, and they didn't wanna spend time making a new one.

is the game easy to pick up and get going or does it take alot of adjusting and learning how things work and doing correct builds before you can have fun?
    Freedom in building comes with a price - not every build is equal and there's chance you make a very underwhelming character. However due to how the game is structured, you're not gated out of content (until you made really bad choices).

However it's part of the learning curve. Some tips to build a somewhat "working" character:
    - class choice is just a starting point on the tree. You can do "anything" with every class, some of them will require more long-term investment. Stick to the surrounding tree for first chars as usually has everything you need to start.
    - don't go short of defenses, especially life/ES. Life builds are easier to start with. Too low life/ES means you'll just die.
    - make choices. Go either Life or ES; choose a weapon type; choose what ind of damage/skills you want to use. Do all of this beforehand and check on the tree where are the nodes that support your choices. Don't be afraid if some of them are very far from where you start - you can either reach them later or ditch for other more convenient ones that are nearer to your path.
    - use poeplanner.com to fiddle with the tree. Put points around and see if you can reach the same things with less points.
    - don't EVER make a build using all passive points available. focus on reaching a fully-fleshed character around level 70/75 so you can tackle endgame reliably, with all the last points used to enhance your build.
    - again, focus. Having few improved and optimized abilities is better than having lots of them equally non-efficient. All builds end focusing on one/two main damage skills with the rest being auras, buffs, defenses and so on. one movement skill is basically required to move out fast from nasty stuff.

Your first build will suck no matter what because you are still learning the game.

Easiest starting builds are always either some form of totem or summoner, they are boring to play but low-risk and even if your passive build sucks, like going for EVERY totem node, you wont be as bad as other builds.

There are simply some mechanics that create completely OP builds and some mechanics you learn as you go.

Unless you spend a few hours either playing or reading up you wont know them, go slowly and learn

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    i always recommend new players to find a build you think looks fun and going for it on your first character.
    I would recommend this not just to new players, but to everyone, honestly it is the best that can be done on POE, on D3 and in any ARPG.
    I did try a competitive build in D3 first season to get a place in leaderboards, it was okish in terms of fun, but mainly because of the "thrill" of the competition.
    Later on i noticed that it is not for me, the moment i am playing some build it is not fun it is the moment i would rather stop playing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Your first build will suck no matter what because you are still learning the game.
    Nope, i mean from a point of view of eficiency, sure, all my next week 7 classes builds will not be "competitive" at all, but because the game is so new to me, i will not enjoy competitive builds more than these soon to be uber cluncky builds, although i foresee a curse now and then while having fun learning XD.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I don't know, maybe it's "stupid" but SSF as an official mode has a very peculiar feeling. It's (for me) all about "this is my char, and all i have is earned through effort and time spent". It feels truly mine. I'm not aginst trading, but it will always look like a shortcut to avoid farming. And i like farming.
    Hardly stupid for me, because i do feel exactly the same way, i am against trading (against I trading), but the Crafting seems interesting, it is one of the Zillion things i am very interested in trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryla View Post

Nope, i mean from a point of view of eficiency, sure, all my next week 7 classes builds will not be "competitive" at all, but because the game is so new to me, i will not enjoy competitive builds more than these soon to be uber cluncky builds, although i foresee a curse now and then while having fun learning XD.

PoE is not D3, you can try copying whatever build, you wont achieve what the person did the same way or easy mode.

D3 has 5% of the build depth PoE has, also PoE build guides forget to mention "OH YEAH MY BUILD STARTS WORKING AFTER 70 EXALTED GEAR".

Also D3 does not have the retarded damage scaling PoE has, where suddenly some tiny mob at some corner 1 shots you cause map modes.

PoE has, easy cheap builds that are good but not that good to do end game bosses fast, they can do them, but not fast, involves summons and totems.

Easy expensive builds that are OP but boring, expensive and OP pretty much go together involves summons and totems and lots of expensive stuff to make them scale to boss killers.

It has stupid worthless builds which is 95% of the builds at the moment that yes, they are fun, yes you can kill mobs, you literally just died 20 times to a boss 100 builds 1 shot at the same gear level as you because the build is bad, etc etc.

It takes literally a few months to start learning what works and what doesnt.

And since 3.0 its gonna change all that, its rather obvious Crit builds are gonna be the OP ones, same as 3 years ago, followed by whatever new bugged mechanic appears with the changes, we need to wait and see.

1)It all depends how you view the game, if your goal is simply to see the 10 acts, do whatever fucking build you want, some bosses will take forever, but you can probably get them, others will kill them in 10 seconds, you will in 10 minutes, irrelevant, its your fun.

2)If your goal is competitive ranking, forget it now unless you are playing a few years already

3)If your goal is simply end game, build a farmer build (Farmer build means, insane clearing speed/aoe/can barely kill higher tier maps, simply exists for farming currency), farm currency, create one of the new OP builds that will appear after the first 2 weeks

4)If your goal is challenges, do number 3.

5)If your goal is making lots of builds, do number 3 to farm currency, then play whatever, repeat will you played all your builds.

6)Market simulator and flipping, do half of 3, flip currency forever.

PoE in a nutshell.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-08-01 at 11:08 AM.

Deleted
    It takes literally a few months to start learning what works and what doesnt.
    This is mainly my goal, i do enjoy learning all those things, by making, i am sure, a million mistakes.
    Once this is over, the goal will be playing builds that i like playing, if that is possible.
    I do understand that for end game and being competitive trade seems to be a must, which is something i am not gonna do, so once the learning journey is over, i will decide if i can get into end game in a way i do enjoy, and if that is not the case i will simply stop playing.

This is mainly my goal, i do enjoy learning all those things, by making, i am sure, a million mistakes.
    Once this is over, the goal will be playing builds that i like playing, if that is possible.
    I do understand that for end game and being competitive trade seems to be a must, which is something i am not gonna do, so once the learning journey is over, i will decide if i can get into end game in a way i do enjoy, and if that is not the case i will simply stop playing.
    Thats not how PoE works, you will have to do some trading, depending on your build, whether you like it or not, assuming once more as i said you want to play a "I want my build to actually matter and not just die to plain mobs while leveling cause i dont have a clue.

Unless you play SSF, then good luck with RNG, SSF is a completely different game/monster cause you literally have to make a build that does not require specific uniques to be able to kill stuff at higher levels.

Sounds harsh but its how PoE is.

Like, they are adding lots of threshold jewels the last league and this, if your build has one and it wont drop, what are you gonna do, quit? Nope, Trade, they are really filthy cheap, takes maximum 5mins to trade and get one

Etc etc, small examples.

Deleted
    Thats not how PoE works, you will have to do some trading, depending on your build, whether you like it or not, assuming once more as i said you want to play a "I want my build to actually matter and not just die to plain mobs while leveling cause i dont have a clue.

Unless you play SSF, then good luck with RNG, SSF is a completely different game/monster cause you literally have to make a build that does not require specific uniques to be able to kill stuff at higher levels.

Sounds harsh but its how PoE is.

Like, they are adding lots of threshold jewels the last league and this, if your build has one and it wont drop, what are you gonna do, quit? Nope, Trade, they are really filthy cheap, takes maximum 5mins to trade and get one

Etc etc, small examples.
    I do understand, but no matter what i am not gonna trade, i like farming, like a little less crafting, and do not tolerate trading.
    As i said, because everything is new to me i am gonna enjoy the journey, i do like mechanics, and there are a lot of things to learn in the game.
    Once that is over, if i can do something i like in the game fine, and if that is not possible i will simply quit.
    I have to say that the description you made of SSF sounds like something i would like.

I do understand, but no matter what i am not gonna trade, i like farming, like a little less crafting, and do not tolerate trading.
    As i said, because everything is new to me i am gonna enjoy the journey, i do like mechanics, and there are a lot of things to learn in the game.
    Once that is over, if i can do something i like in the game fine, and if that is not possible i will simply quit.
    I have to say that the description you made of SSF sounds like something i would like.
    Then you are gonna play SSF by default, it disables trading and grouping, its SOLO SELF FOUND for a reason

Deleted
    Then you are gonna play SSF by default, it disables trading and grouping, its SOLO SELF FOUND for a reason
    For starting playing the game, yes, that is the idea, but when the league is over, chars go to standard league if i understand how leagues works, and theorically once i know what i am doing, i will not move from there, unless starting over each 3-4 months? it is something interesting in POE.
    I did play season one in D3, i started playing it again from scratch three weeks ago, because i would rather play in europe (i was playing in US), i am playing it non season, i have zero incentive in playing seasonal in D3, but as i said maybe in POE things are different, well i would like that to be the case, the more different the experience is, the better.

Each new league in PoE offers some different gameplay mechanic/gimmick that isn't available on standard, although some of them get ported to standard afterwards in some watered down state. I believe a majority of players only play the new leagues as it keeps the game fresh.

For myself I guess it's a 'the chase is more exciting than the kill' feeling in that the process of leveling and gearing from scratch keeps me interested and having fun for a much longer time than if I leveled a character on standard and had all my accumulated wealth and could be "done" my character after an hour of trading. Same reason I play seasons in D3, that feeling of progression.

I can see how that wouldn't apply as much if you're playing SSF though, but I think I'd still only play leagues to keep the game fresh.

e: Getting pretty bored with Diablo again. Friday can't come soon enough.
    Last edited by Rocksteadee; 2017-08-01 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    For myself I guess it's a 'the chase is more exciting than the kill' feeling in that the process of leveling and gearing from scratch keeps me interested and having fun for a much longer time than if I leveled a character on standard and had all my accumulated wealth and could be "done" my character after an hour of trading. Same reason I play seasons in D3, that feeling of progression.
    That's exactly the reason why PoE thrives and D3 is boring as hell. Even D3 seasons now after 10 of them have no more grip on me - ended buying the necro just to park him there at like 100 paragon because i couldn't be assed to run GRs over and over again.

In PoE i can do the farming at my pace without repercussions and still get valuable things.

Deleted
    Holy shit the number of dumbfucks complaining about the new loot filter sound and voice alerts what the fuck.

For starting playing the game, yes, that is the idea, but when the league is over, chars go to standard league if i understand how leagues works, and theorically once i know what i am doing, i will not move from there, unless starting over each 3-4 months? it is something interesting in POE.
    I did play season one in D3, i started playing it again from scratch three weeks ago, because i would rather play in europe (i was playing in US), i am playing it non season, i have zero incentive in playing seasonal in D3, but as i said maybe in POE things are different, well i would like that to be the case, the more different the experience is, the better.
    Season is just a fresh start for those that want to play an active league, or want to experience the new things etc etc.

Standard is for those that set a goal and dont really care about anything else, like "I want to kill Shaper for the first time", and they simply do that, or "I just wanna reach 100 and never touch poe again".

Most people play the new league cause thats where the fun is, the added mechanics etc make things interesting, although this is the old game were you had to do Act1-4 3 times and it got boring but the new league element was a fresh new breath.

Crying about the nerfs on stuff is silly.

They explained as expected that double dipping wasnt intended, it was a fuck up in their part and the only chance to fix it came now since the game is literally restarting, call it PoE 2.0.

And you can guess they still couldnt fix it because its probably hard coded,so they created a completely new system for the dots to fix it.

They are supposed to be extra DPS now, not main (bugged) DPS as it was and if you are trying to main it and cheese, dot and run you do less DPS, as intended.

Of course it changes things for the worst DPS wise, but as i said, its PoE 2.0, not PoE after Friday launch.

Which is why, as they said, all the bleeding damage is along with a Physical damage node, cause its "extra dps" not "main DPS".
    Last edited by potis; 2017-08-01 at 07:22 PM.