Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Lazy is overused as a term. It's not limited to laziness. In fact, that tends to be astoundingly rare.

It's a fear of commitment, a fear of failure, a fear of being unable to make it through, a fear of judgment and/or a fear of change.

What if I commit to a gym but end up being unable to make it worth it?
    What if I can't lose weight?
    What if I lose my motivation?
    What will people think when seeing me at the gym?
    How will I be able to push this through my schedule?
    I will tell you right now, when i see overweight people at the gym i have nothing but respect for them. Its a huge step in the right direction for them, and 99.9% of "gym bros" i workout with feel the exact same way. You will actually find that people at the gym are far more personable than you think, because they are constantly thrust into social experiences and know how to interact properly.

i don't have time means i don't have time for that based prioritization, which is fine. Some people don't want to or don't like working out. I'm the later, i hate it with a passion but I do it 4-5 times a week for at least 30 mins, and 3-5 miles total in runs per week (goal is double that). It cuts into my free time heavily and I've cut sleep to make up for it but without doing it I'd be close to 300 lbs I'm sure, I'm currently 205-210, namely cause my diet sucks. So thus i made it a priority over playing games, cleaning the house daily, and a few other things and I had the time.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I'm not in the habit of deciding for others what they can do or not and how they should be spending their time.

If they say "I don't have time" when I ask them out for a walk, then I'll accept. I also don't put pressure on people to exercise, they're free to decide for themselves.
    I think as a human experience, as we move forward, we really do need to address everyone's individual health. People who overeat, and don't workout to stay healthy are a double threat, the eat 2x 3x the amount of food of another person, while also costing 2x 3x more on the healthcare system. So while some people think "my personal actions don't impact other people" is a completely wrong assumption. People cost money to take care of, if you're in a hospital bed because your heart is shitty because you eat McDonald's 5 times a day, you're taking away from people who need medical help because they're have an illness they didn't give themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Unless you are literally a shut-in couch potato never leaving your room, you WILL get some exercise every day. Purely by virtue of being alive.
    Metabolism doesn't mean exercise.
    Seriously.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Let's be perfectly honest here. Extremely rarely it's "fear", and even more rarely it's "laziness". What it is, almost always, is not giving a shit.
    The last two ends being more or less the same reason.
    Thus, fat shamers ignore reality, which is that most people just don't give a shit, and instead, they come up with "laziness" and so on. Just so they'll have ammunition they can use to insult the people they want to insult.
    It's not "ignoring reality", it's precisely the reason why it exists. Fat-shaming is about saying someone being fat is their own fault. Saying "they don't give a shit" is kinda justifying fat-shaming, not countering it.
    Duh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Being a vain and narcissistic self-obsessed gym rat is a terrible use of your free time. You aren't get anything productive done.
    Someone is desperately trying to justify his lazyness in his own eyes it seems.
    Last edited by Akka; 2017-08-01 at 12:41 PM.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    i don't have time means i don't have time for that based prioritization, which is fine. Some people don't want to or don't like working out. I'm the later, i hate it with a passion but I do it 4-5 times a week for at least 30 mins, and 3-5 miles total in runs per week (goal is double that). It cuts into my free time heavily and I've cut sleep to make up for it but without doing it I'd be close to 300 lbs I'm sure, I'm currently 205-210, namely cause my diet sucks. So thus i made it a priority over playing games, cleaning the house daily, and a few other things and I had the time.
    Could always lift, an hour of lifting in the gym burns more calories and fat than prolonged cardio. If you want to lose weight doing cardio, while not looking like someone whos starving to death, sprints is the way to go. Look at the difference between Olympic sprinters and distance runners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Metabolism doesn't mean exercise.
    Seriously.
    How many people do you know with the god metabolism? i've known 3 people in my entire that do ZERO working out, and eat like shit, yet are in peak physical condition, fuck them. Myself, and most people i know, work hard for the health and physical prowess we've achieved. Plus, lifting with some pre-workout, and getting a huge pump, is probably one of the most addicting things i've ever experienced in my life.

"I don't have time" often means "I don't want to", and I respect that, if someone prefers 30 min of social media instead of 30 min exercice, that's OK.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Unless you are literally a shut-in couch potato never leaving your room, you WILL get some exercise every day. Purely by virtue of being alive. Even if that exercise is just rushing for a meeting room in the other end of the office every 2 hours, cleaning up the apartment, getting through the grocery store or similar. The physical equivalency of illiteracy isn't possible.

My grandmothers were a housewife and head nurse respectively. Neither ever "worked out". Neither were fat in any imagination. One died to a stroke at the age of 67. The other lived to the age of 98, and was quite mobile at least until she turned 90. Working out isn't necessary for living a healthy life, and the idea that you MUST work out is nonsense. It is largely agreed upon that it will help your health though. I'm not arguing against that. I'm saying it is a priority issue if you do. And I am not gonna hold it against someone spending that half hour as quality time with their kids rather than biking around the city.
    Some really good points and I agree. My grandmother, who dipped snuff and was what some would consider overweight, lived until she was 95. My memory of her is her spending a lot of time watching tv while laying in bed. Yet she would walk to town and do her own grocery shopping up until she was 92, when she fell and broke her hip. Her mom lived until she was 93 and her grandmother until she was over 100.

It is genes which will primarily determine how long we will live. Working out can help keep us more active and with less health issues as we age however. But we all only have so much time in life. And it is up to the person how they want to spend that time. They really do not need any excuse. It is their business how they want to spend it.

I don't have time means that they don't want to MAKE time, which is perfectly fine, mind your own damn business. I have a cousin who is the same age as me (32) who hasn't worked a day in his life because my uncle had a disorder that made him want to keep his family dependent on him, so my cousins were constantly told they were worthless, but given money to buy whatever they needed, so they neither had the confidence or the need to actually finish any education and get a job, it's kinda tragic but I'm veering off topic.

He goes to the gym 3 times a week and constantly asks me why I don't do the same, and it's because I work 40 hours while you sit at home, and I simply don't want to.
    Last edited by Inshabel; 2017-08-01 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning- View Post
    "I don't have time" often means "I don't want to", and I respect that, if someone prefers 30 min of social media instead of 30 min exercice, that's OK.
    Until they complain about their health, or they lament that they are fat, or they try to put down to "luck" the fact that you're athletic and they are flabby, or...
    Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Until they complain about their health, or they lament that they are fat, or they try to put down to "luck" the fact that you're athletic and they are flabby, or...
    Etc.
    So you're trying to one up them by starting to nag first? cool. If they are in denial about what is causing them to be fatter then you they are also stupid and wont listen to you anyway because arguing with a stupid person is impossible.

I know perfectly well why I'm chubby, I'm lazy and I overeat, no genetics involved.
    Last edited by Inshabel; 2017-08-01 at 01:15 PM.

Deleted
    Ugh I'm just lazy, leave me alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    I think as a human experience, as we move forward, we really do need to address everyone's individual health. People who overeat, and don't workout to stay healthy are a double threat, the eat 2x 3x the amount of food of another person, while also costing 2x 3x more on the healthcare system. So while some people think "my personal actions don't impact other people" is a completely wrong assumption. People cost money to take care of, if you're in a hospital bed because your heart is shitty because you eat McDonald's 5 times a day, you're taking away from people who need medical help because they're have an illness they didn't give themselves.
    Thats cool. Can we start looking at people driving cars, doing dangerous sports, smoking, alchol, drugs, eating certain types of food, certain make up and a billion other things then? Seeing all of those can cause "diseases" that people give them selfs.
    Or how bout you stop acting like a twat and let people decide what they want to do in life.
    Also I have been overweight since I was 12, I have never been sick or had to use any healthcare service. How bout you give me back the thousands I put into it then? Seeing I did not give my self any diseases?

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Thats cool. Can we start looking at people driving cars, doing dangerous sports, smoking, alchol, drugs, eating certain types of food, certain make up and a billion other things then? Seeing all of those can cause "diseases" that people give them selfs.
    Or how bout you stop acting like a twat and let people decide what they want to do in life.
    Also I have been overweight since I was 12, I have never been sick or had to use any healthcare service. How bout you give me back the thousands I put into it then? Seeing I did not give my self any diseases?
    Not that I don't sorta agree with you, but smokers use the mirror argument when others accuse them of keeping healthcare cost high "well why not blame the people who are overeating?! why not forbid unhealthy eating and extreme sports while we're at it?"

"I don't have time" translates to "it's not a priority for me". It's absolutely not an excuse to be lazy, it's someone's way of saying that physical health and appearance isn't as important to them as mental health, and they would rather spend their time doing other things they enjoy, and maybe eating foods they know are bad for them, but taste better than chicken and boiled rice, or that super tasty healthy meal they could prep but takes 30 mins every other evening and a few extra trips to the supermarket.
    Even if that person is saying "I'd love to be in shape but I don't have time" or "I wish I could shift as little as 5 lbs but I don't have time to work out", still doesn't mean they're lazy - it means that they genuinely don't enjoy the journey and aren't willing to make the commitment to maintain the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Could always lift, an hour of lifting in the gym burns more calories and fat than prolonged cardio. If you want to lose weight doing cardio, while not looking like someone whos starving to death, sprints is the way to go. Look at the difference between Olympic sprinters and distance runners.

- - - Updated - - -

How many people do you know with the god metabolism? i've known 3 people in my entire that do ZERO working out, and eat like shit, yet are in peak physical condition, fuck them. Myself, and most people i know, work hard for the health and physical prowess we've achieved. Plus, lifting with some pre-workout, and getting a huge pump, is probably one of the most addicting things i've ever experienced in my life.
    I've actually tried a focus on lifting once, and for me i tend to see better results running.. then again i'm not looking for muscle mass, just slimmer waist line. I have thought about a trainer with a focus on lifting again though just have to balance time (lol) and money for it all.

I'm fairly sure my diet of whatever i can toss in a microwave and eating out kills it though. i just hate cooking,esp for one.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshabel View Post
    Not that I don't sorta agree with you, but smokers use the mirror argument when others accuse them of keeping healthcare cost high "well why not blame the people who are overeating?! why not forbid unhealthy eating and extreme sports while we're at it?"
    Why not forbid everything that might be bad for us humans?
    Like I said. Im 31 now and I never used any medical service and I been "overweight" since I was 12.
    Going after me because I am bigger then "what others feel like I should be " is fucking stupid.

Live and let live, if someone wants to smoke thats on them and if we pay for his healthcare thats fine.
    I will be paying for that extreme climbers healthcare as well that fell and broke his back and is in the hospital now for the next 2 years + learning to walk again.
    Last edited by mmoc8b9477f07c; 2017-08-01 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Why not forbid everything that might be bad for us humans?
    Like I said. Im 31 now and I never used any medical service and I been "overweight" since I was 12.
    Going after me because I am bigger then "what others feel like I should be " is fucking stupid.

Live and let live, if someone wants to smoke thats on them and if we pay for his healthcare thats fine.
    I will be paying for that extreme climbers healthcare as well that feel and broke his back and is in the hospital now for the next 2 years + learning to walk again.

I'm not "going after you" though.

Being healthy (and having an exercise regimen is part of that) is an investment that always pays off, especially when you become older and still want to enjoy life.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshabel View Post
    I'm not "going after you" though.
    I know, the OP is with his shitty "reasons".
    Every few months we have one of these posts on the forum from some nutjob that watched the cowspericy theory or whatever that shit doc is called.
    And everytime people like lazyrogue come in with the "O boehoe, my healthcare money". Its fucking stupid.

People don't need a reason not to work out, if they don't want to then the won't.

Well, there's this thing called free will where people are allowed to make bad choices for themselves and that's totally fine. Not only that, but in no way are you the arbiter or decider of the definition of the words enough and healthy. If you want to judge people, you don't need this website or the internet to justify it, nor do you need to bring other people into it.
    Last edited by Perselawyer; 2017-08-01 at 01:32 PM.