Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This is what happens when you're a Finnish Mexican. They've walled off your anime!
    too many illegal snow mexicans watching anime I guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    Before people panic about the Funimation acquisition, please read the darn announcement first! If anything, we may have more to gain with this arrangement. We'll see.
    well funimation is already trash not like we have anything to lose

I actually liked Joker game; I feel like the mainstream only hates it because it was episodic as opposed to a serialized 12 episode story. Ofcourse, I do have a gripe in that we didn't get to see the spies being taught their craft.
    I have no problem with its episodic nature; half of my top shows are wandering stories with little central narrative.

Joker Game was just generally mediocre. It started off with a great setting and compelling situation; even if the blatant Engrish hurt, I don't hold that against it. But then it proceeded to unfold in such an...uninspiring way. It didn't feel clever or subtle. I'm not much of a digibro fan, but he has a good discussion of the first episode that goes into far more detail. The rest of the series suffered from the same; if you're not going to just give up and go action James Bond-style, it is imperative that the characters are sufficiently fleshed out, or the events suitably convoluted and intelligent, to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    well funimation is already trash not like we have anything to lose
    How is it trash?

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    I have no problem with its episodic nature; half of my top shows are wandering stories with little central narrative.

Joker Game was just generally mediocre. It started off with a great setting and compelling situation; even if the blatant Engrish hurt, I don't hold that against it. But then it proceeded to unfold in such an...uninspiring way. It didn't feel clever or subtle. I'm not much of a digibro fan, but he has a good discussion of the first episode that goes into far more detail. The rest of the series suffered from the same; if you're not going to just give up and go action James Bond-style, it is imperative that the characters are sufficiently fleshed out, or the events suitably convoluted and intelligent, to compensate.
    An interesting breakdown; perhaps I only liked it because I've seen few anime - indeed, even shows or fiction in general - of this type, so I had a low standard for it. Perhaps one day, we'll get a great spy anime!

Perhaps one day, we'll get a great spy anime!
    There's one airing, it's called Princess Principal.

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    There's one airing, it's called Princess Principal.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    That comment put me into a position. Young female characters are a shortcut to "approachable" or, more precisely, "sympathetic." So I think you're correct in that sense, that the series would suffer if they just swapped to an older/male cast...highlighting the bandage that their age/sex currently provides. Although I think it would compensate the show in other areas.
    reminds me of the top review for shelter https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=232021

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    [img]http://i.imgur.com/hcniphW.jpg[img]

you disagreeing with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post

you disagreeing with me?

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    [img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md5ni1tf7o1rf7jtbo1_400.jpg[img]
    I angry

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously about the ages and genders of characters in anime (especially Pripri):

Let's put this bluntly, I completely agree that a cast of young attractive females is using a shortcut. It panders to the audience like nothing else. This is an undeniable truth in my opinion. But does that need to matter or affect the viewing experience negatively every time we see it?

Truth is, there are also male characters that we all most likely love to root for, Ed and Al from FMA being prime examples. In a lot of cases 'cute girls' is used to create easy characters for the audience to fawn on but I sometimes feel like people also discredit cute girl characters more than they should. It's like a cute girl cannot be a truly good character. It's like a good character has to be older than 30 to be deemed worthy. If a show or character looks too cute it must be bad right? They're only making it cute because it lacks on all other aspects right? See where I'm going here?

Princess Principal, the show I've sperged the most this season, is one of these show. It has a cute cast, made up of attractive young females on a spy setting. While most here agree that it indeed is more than meet the eye I still do feel like I want to comment on the moeblob girl aspect. Don't get me wrong though, I do still think that the main reason it has a cute girl cast is because it's easier and they're taking the shortcut.

However, how does this show make the cute girl characters work in this setting? I'll be going to spoiler territory a bit here so black bars inc.

Let's talk about the princess first. The princess, in my opinion, fits the setting rather well. She's the innocent princess that goes to little parties for the nobles and nobody would suspect a thing. All of their infiltrations so far have relied on this aspect. But why couldn't you make her a prince? Would it work? It would seem to me that there is a moderate patriarchy in the society the story takes place in. Surely people would have different expectations for a prince and a princess. A princess draws attention but never suspicion. A prince would be expected to take part in politics and international matters more actively, all a princess has to do is to have a pretty smile. A prince would work no doubt it but that doesn't mean that this setting isn't thought out.

Then there's Ange. There is not much to say here, Ange and Princess are of the same gender from the very synopsis, should this change this show would be something entirely different. Princess' closest friend being female also makes sense too. It all revolves around the princess in my opinion. Dorothy's gender it not as easily explainable or argued for but it again tumbles down to how they deal with it. Needless to say, everything she has done in the show has been reliant on her sex appeal. Her success is plausible and the story goes on without be batting an eye most of the time despite teenaged girls doing spy stuff.

small rant with all the ESL grammar I could hope for
    tl;dr moeblob casts don't always have to be a bad thing.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2017-08-01 at 08:00 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    reminds me of the top review for shelter https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=232021
    worst review i have ever read, unironically

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    As long as Sony doesn't accidentally give away my information, I don't see an issue.

Was at work and i asked my friend if he was going to watch Kimi no na wa and asked what it was, so i told him and he called me a weeb. Then i poointed out so was he.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that's pretty damn lucky. I've farmed events desperately before and gotten zero event CEs to drop. I did get a single Nero CE to drop this time though.

Unfortunately this CE is pretty terrible tbh. Some of the later event CEs are really great, so hopefully your luck carries over for those. Halloween in particular has some pretty great CEs.
    Hopefully. I've been getting pretty decent luck recently. Got my second Kaleidoscope the other day.

Also ended up paying for SQ for the first time last night with a friend so we could both roll for Nero. Got Umu 2nd roll out of 25 bucks worth, and friend got nothing. Was so distraught he put another 30 bucks in and got nothing still. Was near rolling on the floor laughing at the diner we were at.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Also ended up paying for SQ for the first time last night with a friend so we could both roll for Nero.
    Zath's gone to the dark side. I give you my personal welcome
    [CENTER]

Kimi no na wa 4K CE set came in, it's pretty solid and supports HDR. Pretty solid movie as well, also a few figures came in with it so I'll need to put those up later tonight.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Hopefully. I've been getting pretty decent luck recently. Got my second Kaleidoscope the other day.

Also ended up paying for SQ for the first time last night with a friend so we could both roll for Nero. Got Umu 2nd roll out of 25 bucks worth, and friend got nothing. Was so distraught he put another 30 bucks in and got nothing still. Was near rolling on the floor laughing at the diner we were at.
    I also rolled this gacha with my saved up quartz, though for Altera. Unfortunately I only got Nero who I don't even like that much.

But jeez, buying quartz already? I think I didn't first buy quartz until Scathach was released (and then a month or so later for Mordred). I don't even want to think about how much I've spent since then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also rolled this gacha with my saved up quartz, though for Altera. Unfortunately I only got Nero who I don't even like that much.

But jeez, buying quartz already? I think I didn't first buy quartz until Scathach was released (and then a month or so later for Mordred). I don't even want to think about how much I've spent since then.
    I've played every day since release, using my AP. I'm surprised I survived this long. I was fine with either Altera or Nero, and I'm happy I got Nero. Her umu saves me.

It's been about a month since summer season started and I've sampled all the shows I wanted to watch (and was coerced as well), Princess Principal is by far the most surprising and astonishing in terms of enjoyment. I won't comment on the whole "gender influences enjoyment" argument, however I will say that this is more than cute girls do cute things. This is more so attractive girls making plays - snapping necks and cashing checks; almost get some Revy influence in there a bit. The aesthetic is not vibrant, comfy, and serene. It's a dark color palette rich with tones of a 30's Mafiaso flick. The narrative also is laden with possibilities of betrayal, deceit, and political conflict. If I could theorize some Schrödinger type of scenario where this show was cast with all male leads, I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it more or less.