Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I liked the LB filling the "ranged dps" option for Guardians, but thematically, especially with traps, it made no sense IMO. I don't play a guardian to set traps and shit, that's rangers and engineers and thieves and shit -_-

A bit, apparently there are already some heavy fire condition builds that are popular. But thematically, it just sucks that there doesn't seem to be a proper "frontline tanky/support" build for guardians that I know of. A lot of us rolled guardians to be more like a paladin role - low damage output but being up in the thick of things controlling/tanking mobs and supporting allies. But we don't really have a strong kit for that, and neither added specialization seems to have done much to fill that gap. Instead, other classes are getting to fill that niche while guardians, who are perfect for it, are left kinda...just around.
    The typical thematic for traps would resonate more with ranger and thief; that I agree on (longbow on thief w/ traps...Robin Hood elite spec lol). DH (which is a painfully generic name still) could've done something with the spirit weapons or something instead. But hey, Anet wanting to try thinking outside of the box or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Roy did confirm on Twitter that mounts will be usable in all Tyria zones. So pretty much everywhere like after they updated Gliding, so I guess they learned from that one.
    My question is: are those ground mounts? or flying mounts?

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

pretty sure it is just ground mounts

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Roy did confirm on Twitter that mounts will be usable in all Tyria zones. So pretty much everywhere like after they updated Gliding, so I guess they learned from that one.
    I should've edited that post to reflect that I did find that Twitter post while at lunch today.

I've seen the occasional "but ermagerd the jps and vistas"...we're talking about 5 year old content at this point. It's not like new players are gonna be using mounts to get all those anyway. Could they? Yeah. Is it really that big of a concern at this point, though? Seems like it's not, to Anet at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Everything they showed in the video are ground mounts with different ways of moving. There is one that hovers over the ground but I wouldn't really call it flying because you stay pretty close to the ground.

Also, damn, it looks like HoT wont be free.

"It is available on its own for $29.99 or bundled with Heart of Thorns for $49.99."

Ohhh well. Time to move on.

One of them is supposed to have some hovering abilities, I think, but not to the extent of a flying mount a la WoW or FF14.

Having better movement speed out in the world has been something a lot of folks have wanted in this game. I don't really see a need to have a full-fledged flying mount added to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I should've edited that post to reflect that I did find that Twitter post while at lunch today.

I've seen the occasional "but ermagerd the jps and vistas"...we're talking about 5 year old content at this point. It's not like new players are gonna be using mounts to get all those anyway. Could they? Yeah. Is it really that big of a concern at this point, though? Seems like it's not, to Anet at least.
    Some jump puzzles restrict you from using a glider while in their designated area. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to do the same for mounts, although there's some where gliding is permitted, and they will likely become a casualty of mounts as well. As you said, it's probably not a big deal to ArenaNet.

All this rage about HoT not being free...the base game, which is easily thousands of hours of content, is free, and to simply wait 2 years to have an xpac tacked on for free is a jab in the ribs of any GW2 fan who bought it prior. The model they're going with now (where older xpacs go on sale, possible get bundled together) along with the new one not being so pricey, is much better for the majority of players. To think that one could simply lag 2 years behind and simply play the entire game for free is silly.

Is there rage? I haven't seen any.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting to watch. Kinda liked what we got(Sorta ish.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

All this rage about HoT not being free...the base game, which is easily thousands of hours of content, is free, and to simply wait 2 years to have an xpac tacked on for free is a jab in the ribs of any GW2 fan who bought it prior. The model they're going with now (where older xpacs go on sale, possible get bundled together) along with the new one not being so pricey, is much better for the majority of players. To think that one could simply lag 2 years behind and simply play the entire game for free is silly.
    Nope, it is not.

They said that their ideal model was that players would only ever pay for the most recent content. HoT is not recent anymore. Wow makes every expansion free after the next one is released, as its unreasonable to have players pay for Burning Crusade, or WOTLK when they're several years old. SWTOR made all of its expansions free you only ever need to pay for the latest one.

To be honest, I'm not really THAT invested into this game to be willing to put actual money into it. Specially since as a venezuelan, videogames are horribly expensive and borderline impossible to obtain. My only interest when I saw a new expansion coming, was the possibility of HoT being free, and that being enough to revive my curiosity for the game, as I must admit the elite specialization of the necromancer was something I've been wanting to try for a while. But now that I know it wont be free, its just time to move on.

Ohh and for the record, I'm not "raging". Raging would be if I went into an angry emotionally-fueled rant against A-net calling them a multitude of expletives for their decision to still keep charging for HoT despite it being obsolete content now. I did not. All I did was express my disappointment on their step backwards on their "you'll only pay for the most recent content" stance. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    Is there rage? I haven't seen any.
    There's at least one thread on reddit with all sorts of salt about it. Here's one.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, it is not.

They said that their ideal model was that players would only ever pay for the most recent content. HoT is not recent anymore. Wow makes every expansion free after the next one is released, as its unreasonable to have players pay for Burning Crusade, or WOTLK when they're several years old. SWTOR made all of its expansions free you only ever need to pay for the latest one.

To be honest, I'm not really THAT invested into this game to be willing to put actual money into it. Specially since as a venezuelan, videogames are horribly expensive and borderline impossible to obtain. My only interest when I saw a new expansion coming, was the possibility of HoT being free, and that being enough to revive my curiosity for the game, as I must admit the elite specialization of the necromancer was something I've been wanting to try for a while. But now that I know it wont be free, its just time to move on.

Ohh and for the record, I'm not "raging". Raging would be if I went into an angry emotionally-fueled rant against A-net calling them a multitude of expletives for their decision to still keep charging for HoT despite it being obsolete content now. I did not. All I did was express my disappointment on their step backwards on their "you'll only pay for the most recent content" stance. No more, no less.
    That "ideal model" from 2 years ago would simply be taking money off of their table now. Not to mention it would have previous HoT purchasers VERY salty, because they would once again be paying twice for something they already had, such as it was at HoT launch when the base game became F2P. For them to continue that trend would work to alienate long-time customers.

With the WoW model, as someone who bought every single xpac when it was current (up through WoD), I should be able to pay, say, $20-30 for Legion on launch day. Instead, I pay the $40-50 (I honestly don't recall it's price at launch, but I know good and well it wasn't $20) just like the folks who never bought a single xpac prior. The Anet model rewards the long-term customer better, and it doesn't totally hose new customers, since HoT was $50 2 years ago and is now $20 (which is what it probably should've been at launch, but that's another can of worms). Blizzard can take that bit of a monetary loss since WoW's payment model is different. Anet can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, it seems silly to assume that everything will just keep being free. Especially since old content isn't invalidated in the same way that it is in other MMOs.
    They did say something like it would be included, but I don't think they ever said the F2P folks would get HoT for free.

For $30 it seems worth it to me. 5 new zones, story, the zones don't seem as vertical. Mounts I dunno about.
    Most of the new specs seem pretty decent, the new Revenant is very neat thematically. Necro & Mesmer seem fun and they're my "mains". Warrior seemed okay, so I was going to use an open slot for a new warrior, but then the hologram based engineer appeared, so I now need to make an asuran engineer for THAT, my human just won't do.

Guardians, ha ha, you got jacked. Maybe they forgot something? "Guardians get fire and tomes" "don't they already have that?" "oh shit, we forgot to tell people about them getting mesmer portals, necromancer minions and being able to fly while no one else can?" "meh, fuck 'em, lets just give them fire and tomes." I like my dragonhunter enough, and have another guardian sitting around.

Elementalists description sounded odd, and I don't think I'll know how it works until I have it in front of me.

Thief's nottaSniper seemed okay, he's kneeling so I had this image of TOR's "cover" mechanic, but doubt they'll do that. Might be okay.

Ranger merges with pet, but I didn't see any visual effects, so not quite as shape-changey as I was hoping. I'm assuming it'll give you like a couple powers based off of which animal you choose and will be very underwhelming.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    Hey people got excited as hell for FF14's expansion that added nothing actually new systems wise (zones and dungeons are expected content) besides swimming in barren water areas and 2 classes. So it's about par for the course it seems. Guess we'll see what Blizzard announces at Gamescom to once again see Blizzard understands how to announce expansions.
    Square Enix does thing a bit differently. New game systems are often put into the patches. Game systems that don't get abandoned after ten levels mind you. Sure, blizzard knows how to announce expansion, but people can't wait to get rid of artifacts, same as Garrisons when WoD was near the end. Gamescom is soon and 4.1 will come out in earsly september most likely, so we will be able to look at things again.

That "ideal model" from 2 years ago would simply be taking money off of their table now.
    While they are keeping HoT fairly "self contained", how much do they really think folks will pay to play old crap? The advantage of including it with the new expac is that you can then ASSUME customers have it!

The new Guild Hall requires HoT to use. Will PoF have gliding if you didn't buy HoT? If not, then content can't assume you can glide...

Not to mention it would have previous HoT purchasers VERY salty, because they would once again be paying twice for something they already had, such as it was at HoT launch when the base game became F2P. For them to continue that trend would work to alienate long-time customers.
    While I'm sure some folks would complain, I don't really think MMO players work under the assumption that they paid for something a couple years ago and now it's included.

The problem pre-HoT was when Anet had the core game on sale ahead of the game, then included it with HoT without folks knowing ahead of time. A simple communication would solve that by letting people know what is or is not included. By contrast, when they do sales on HoT, will it run it lower than the clustered deal they have, thus screwing folks that pre-bought the package deal?

At some point having dangling masteries from unbought expac's will be a hindrance.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

A bit, apparently there are already some heavy fire condition builds that are popular. But thematically, it just sucks that there doesn't seem to be a proper "frontline tanky/support" build for guardians that I know of. A lot of us rolled guardians to be more like a paladin role - low damage output but being up in the thick of things controlling/tanking mobs and supporting allies. But we don't really have a strong kit for that, and neither added specialization seems to have done much to fill that gap. Instead, other classes are getting to fill that niche while guardians, who are perfect for it, are left kinda...just around.
    Yeah its weird that a "guardian" is at the bottom of the list when it comes tanking. A thief can tank better a guardian.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Nope, it is not.

While World of Warcraft does bundle all previous expansions into its Battle Chest, it still requires you to have bought the Battle Chest in the first place. The content available in the Battle Chest is also not relevant, at least given the popular belief that end game is the only significant content. Given that HoT will not be obsolete content even after the launch of PoF, the situation is a little different.

Not that I disagree with you. ArenaNet has been confusing at best regarding their policy for expansions. "Only having to buy the current content" appears to have meant that buying the most recent content would grant you access to all content, as they stated that adding the core game to HoT was already fulfilling that claim. I believe they've further explained that providing a discount for purchasing both HoT and PoF continues to fulfill that claim, but I can't say I agree. Either way, it's unlikely HoT was ever meant to be free, and their wording was simply poor from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    While they are keeping HoT fairly "self contained", how much do they really think folks will pay to play old crap? The advantage of including it with the new expac is that you can then ASSUME customers have it!

The new Guild Hall requires HoT to use. Will PoF have gliding if you didn't buy HoT? If not, then content can't assume you can glide...

While I'm sure some folks would complain, I don't really think MMO players work under the assumption that they paid for something a couple years ago and now it's included.

The problem pre-HoT was when Anet had the core game on sale ahead of the game, then included it with HoT without folks knowing ahead of time. A simple communication would solve that by letting people know what is or is not included. By contrast, when they do sales on HoT, will it run it lower than the clustered deal they have, thus screwing folks that pre-bought the package deal?

At some point having dangling masteries from unbought expac's will be a hindrance.
    Depends on how much usefulness we'll get out of the gliders in PoF areas. I actually think they won't be that useful, so your concern is valid. The HoT purchase at this point should include LS3 episodes with it, if you ask me. That would go a iittle ways toward sweetening the deal. Oh, and there's also the elite specs...unless, of course, the new ones completely outclass the HoT ones (which would be a stupid way to encourage buying PoF, to put it mildly).

Had they announced their plan for the core game prior to HoT, even by a month...they probably would've pissed off a lot of folks who had recently purchased the game. Heck, I was a wee bit salty over the base game being free back then, especially with the price tag HoT started off with. One of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations.

They definitely need to stop flip-flopping about their business model and lay out a basic foundation for it...which they could do now, if they stick to the formula of "base game = free; old xpac(s) bundled and sold at discount with new one or new one sold standalone". Course, I state that, and they will do something completely different 2 years from now.

When I played Gw2, my favorite thing was doing world content in the zones, didn't care for the dungeons, didn't care for the pvp all that much.
    So this does seem pretty fun, assuming 7.3 follows the 77 day schedule this might come out just in time for me to be bored of WoW again. So I might pick it up.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.