10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Call bullshit all you want. how about we compare content.

Elite dangerous: Space exploration and planetary exploration. pvp if you can get in the same instance as other people Thats pretty much it.

Star citizen: Arena commander: dog fighting module to practice dog fighting
    Star Marine: FPS module
    Area 18: Cityscape to explore and interact with other people
    Persistent Universe: limited atm but essentially all of what ED is just in a smaller area for now. (actually more since you can leave your ship and engage in fps combat)

as for ED not being buggy....... lmfao!!!!!!
    As far as content goes what SC currently has is nothing more than an alpha testing bed for mechanics.

I know they've been doing a lot of work to get CryEngine to do what they want under the hood so far, but there's not much content to speak off in the live version of Star Citizen yet.

It'll eventually get there once they get multiple fully sized star systems out, and and in game economy systems can start rolling once mining and freight transporting etc starts getting introduced, which will also drive piracy and the need for bounty hunters and mercenaries etc but it'd be a stretch to say that it's there yet.

Elite dangerous: Space exploration and planetary exploration. pvp if you can get in the same instance as other people Thats pretty much it.
    Let's fucking go.

Arena Commander: Fly around and shoot things.
    Star Marine: Run around and shoot things.
    ArcCorp: Walk around and interact with people.
    Persistent Universe: Do all of them on a bigger map.

ED: All of the above minus FPS, functioning persistent universe, functioning actual game mechanics, functioning economy, various progression systems.

By the way, your description of Elite Dangerous is precisely how Star Citizen will be. Star Citizen will be instanced to hell, they can't even stabilize things as it is in terms of performance.

Star Citizen is not even a game.

So yeah, you lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic12 View Post
    Star Citizen will be instanced to hell, they can't even stabilize things as it is in terms of performance.
    Try harder.

You're mostly right about ED vs SC, atm. But god DAMN, is your hate boner for SC hard.
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2017-08-01 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    Try harder.

You're mostly right about ED vs SC, atm. But god DAMN, is your hate boner for SC hard.
    He is just funny.
    If it's about comparing SC to other game it's just an alpha while the others are complete games.
    If it's about performance or bugs, alpha state doesn't count, and CIG surely won't improve on stability and performance as development progresses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's fucking go.

Arena Commander: Fly around and shoot things.
    Star Marine: Run around and shoot things.
    ArcCorp: Walk around and interact with people.
    Persistent Universe: Do all of them on a bigger map.

ED: All of the above minus FPS, functioning persistent universe, functioning actual game mechanics, functioning economy, various progression systems.

By the way, your description of Elite Dangerous is precisely how Star Citizen will be. Star Citizen will be instanced to hell, they can't even stabilize things as it is in terms of performance.

Star Citizen is not even a game.

So yeah, you lose.
    I honestly can't tell whether you think ED has more to do seeing as you stated all the things SC has that ED doesn't..... You're also comparing a released game to an Alpha.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

-snip-
    Why are you comparing a release game to an Alpha?

I mean I'm not fond of SC and some of the stuff that is going on there but this is really grasping at straws.

Hey folks, let's keep discussion on Star Citizen and not let this thread go into SC vs. ED discussion, please. Comparisons are unavoidable, but let's try to keep things on-topic as much as possible. Thanks, y'all.

It seems that you didn't read what I said or at least didn't understand it.

And fucking lol?
    Well...yes.

They are both out for one thing, both released. Both have many features SC is touting and more to come.

And they're doing it without $150 million dollars.

SC has performance and network issues and is buggy. Its in Alpha so those can be forgiven. And while Elite and NMS both have their pwn issues, those are also being addressed.

Not to mention Elite got a likely boost in the Chinese market.

For $150 million in funding and going on 6 years of development, SC doesn't have a lot to show. I think 3.0 will be the make or break point for many....people want to see actual gameplay and not just pretty ships.

- - - Updated - - -

I own elite dangerous. SC already has more content than elite......
    No. It doesn't.

SC is still in Alpha and most of the gameplay mechanics such as tradung and questing aren't implemented. You have a few modules acting as tech demonstrators showing off FPS combat, space travel and combat, a couple of open areas and a bit more.

SC promises a lot and as I'm a fan of the genre I hope it succeeds. But so far it hasn't delivered and shows every sign of being in trouble. Not to the degree Derek Snart might suggest, but enough.

But when SC gets trade and an economy and salvaging and mining and everything else....then it'll have what ED does now. Abput the only two big features SC has promised that ED doesn't have right now are atmosphetic flight and FPS combat.

And both of those are on the ToDo list.

Now...you might not like Elite or its style. Fair enough. I understand that. The game can feel empty at times. It can be repetitive and grindy. That doesn't mean SC will be different or an improvememt. Nor does it mean ED has no content.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jcf190 View Post
    I guess we're ignoring the fact that Elite is a game you can buy and play while SC is not. How can you say a game has content when it's still in alpha testing?

Everything I listed for SC is currently playable. You can also purchase SC so.....

Star citizen: Arena commander: dog fighting module to practice dog fighting
    Star Marine: FPS module
    Area 18: Cityscape to explore and interact with other people
    Persistent Universe: limited atm but essentially all of what ED is just in a smaller area for now. (actually more since you can leave your ship and engage in fps combat)

as for ED not being buggy....... lmfao!!!!!!
    So....Arena Combat is content, but Conflict Zones are not?
    Fighting is content...but trading, mining, piracy is not?
    A City to explore is content...but a galaxy to explore is not?
    And somehow, I'm not sure you understand what a Persistent Universe is.

As it is...what I am pointing out is that there is nothing SC is attempting that is unique or groundbreaking. CIG have IMO made mistakes and squandered money, esoecially at thd start.

And unfortunately some of those continue to hurt....I am convinced the decision to use CryEngine rather than develop their own engine, especially once feature bloat crept in, was a huge mistake and one that is hindering development even now. I believe they should have switched to their own engine as it is often harder and more complex to modify an existing engine.

That is what others games did. Elite uses a special engine developed by Frontier. Hello Games developed their own engine for NMS and while the game has problems, I've heard little but praise for the engine.

$150 million raised...six years in....and CIG still don't have the engine working the way they want?

CIG have made mistakes....but there really isn't anything unique about SC except the marketing and hype. That means the game they want to deliver CAN be delivered
    Last edited by KyrtF; 2017-08-01 at 10:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    As far as content goes what SC currently has is nothing more than an alpha testing bed for mechanics.

I know they've been doing a lot of work to get CryEngine to do what they want under the hood so far, but there's not much content to speak off in the live version of Star Citizen yet.

It'll eventually get there once they get multiple fully sized star systems out, and and in game economy systems can start rolling once mining and freight transporting etc starts getting introduced, which will also drive piracy and the need for bounty hunters and mercenaries etc but it'd be a stretch to say that it's there yet.

Still more content.... Anyways as I just seen edges post I'm not gonna reply about this anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KyrtF View Post
    So....Arena Combat is content, but Conflict Zones are not?
    Fightingbis content...but trading, mining, piracy is not?
    A City to explore is content...but a galaxy to explore is not?
    And somehow, I'm not sure you understand what a Persistent Universe is.

Did I not say ED had pvp?
    Also did I not say space exploration for ED?

What about SC PU isn't a persistent universe?

What about SC PU isn't a persistent universe?
    The persistence part. That's one of the features scheduled for 3.0. They even talked about many of the issues they had to tackle in the latest AtV, such as assigning legal and physical ownership to objects and containers.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'm just of the opinion that they should not be consistently throwing out release dates or schedules if they fail to meet them constantly.
    Seriously. Better not give a date at all and say ''When it's donetm'' than to constantly change the date of your bleeding alpha release.

I guess that's a consequence of the crowdfunding. People want to know what happens behind the scenes and how their money is being used. Problem is, a project as seemingly ambitious as Star Citizen isn't a nice, straight line. You will eat snags, and it appears the devs hit more than a few of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say its better to wait, then trowing money into this game right now.
    It could end up like that megaman ripoff.
    Unfinished, buggy bad gameplay and so on.

Combat in current state is still worse than x-3 one:

vs

(you can see the second space combat feels a lot more like one)
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    The persistence part. That's one of the features scheduled for 3.0. They even talked about many of the issues they had to tackle in the latest AtV, such as assigning legal and physical ownership to objects and containers.

So the PU that they have up 24/7 and anyone can join isn't persistent? You sure you know the definition of that word?

10+ Year Old Account
    So the PU that they have up 24/7 and anyone can join isn't persistent? You sure you know the definition of that word?
    It doesn't stick when you log out/server resets. So no, not persistent, yet. It is one of the main things for 3.0

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't stick when you log out/server resets. So no, not persistent, yet. It is one of the main things for 3.0

Ah, this must be something I misunderstood on it then. so it's only instanced for you and anyone that joins you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, this must be something I misunderstood on it then. so it's only instanced for you and anyone that joins you?
    Instancing is something separate from persistence. Instancing at the moment is just the servers with whatever the current cap on number of players is. Persistence is where if you do something or leave something somewhere, it will remain there once you log back into that instance. Right now, things disappear after a while or when someone logs out.

Example: WoW has its own "persistency". When you complete quests, they're done. You can't go back and do them again. I think, technically, even inventory would be considered persistent. Wouldn't want all of your Epics to disappear when you log out, would you?
    Last edited by masterhorus8; 2017-08-01 at 11:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Instancing is something separate from persistence. Instancing at the moment is just the servers with whatever the current cap on number of players is. Persistence is where if you do something or leave something somewhere, it will remain there once you log back into that instance. Right now, things disappear after a while or when someone logs out.

Example: WoW has its own "persistency". When you complete quests, they're done. You can't go back and do them again. I think, technically, even inventory would be considered persistent. Wouldn't want all of your Epics to disappear when you log out, would you?

So none of the missions you complete or credits you earn carry over next time you log in? Though Missions really aren't a thing to go by as with any space game I have played they are all randomly generated anyways.

So none of the missions you complete or credits you earn carry over next time you log in? Though Missions really aren't a thing to go by as with any space game I have played they are all randomly generated anyways.
    If I park a Dragonfly inside my Cutlass and log off, when I log on next the Dragonfly will no longer be inside my Cutlass. If I fly my Cutlass to another station, I can request my Dragonfly from that new station even though I left at the one I just left. If I fly away with your 300i and log off, when I log on next I will not have your 300i. There is no persistence. This is scheduled for 3.0.