Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Not closed, merged with another studio. Closed implies folks were laid off, they're just working with a new studio on a new project under a new name, with the same folks.

And it's not like there was an "era" for it. They were responsible for a single, somewhat poorly received game.

Finally official word from EA.

Honestly I don't think BW Montreal could have even made a game for several years, so better for the people workign there to assimilate it into other studio.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not closed, merged with another studio. Closed implies folks were laid off, they're just working with a new studio on a new project under a new name, with the same folks.

And it's not like there was an "era" for it. They were responsible for a single, somewhat poorly received game.
    Bioware Montreal ceases to exists. There's only EA Motive now, and they work on Star Wars games, and will not touch Bioware IPs.

Sure, all the people were not fired but Bioware Montreal is no more. How is that not closing down that particular studio?

Andromeda. The biggest letdown thus far in my gaming life. Couldn't even finish the First real planet due to the absolutely horrendous animations and overall quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Bioware Montreal ceases to exists. There's only EA Motive now, and they work on Star Wars games, and will not touch Bioware IPs.

Sure, all the people were not fired but Bioware Montreal is no more. How is that not closing down that particular studio?
    They're largely going back to what they were - a support studio. The studio is just changing names, more or less. When a studio is closed down, it actually closes down. Staff are fired, assets absorbed or liquidated etc., you don't keep everyone on board, rename the studio, and set them to work on a new project.

Staff are fired, assets absorbed or liquidated etc.
    Only thing that did not happen was the firing part.

Montreal's office was closed down and assets were absorbed into Motive.

The studio was closed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Well to be fair Visceral games is who is developing the new Star Wars game but Motive is collaborating with them. They haven't hinted at what motives new IP is that they have hired over 100 (doesn't included Bioware Montreal or any other EA transfers) new employees. EA Motive has also been stated to be an incubator for new projects and ideas. Which seems like part of their job with in EA is to be a support studio as well as develop new IP. Also they are apparently working with DICE on battlefront.

Since EA owns Bioware there is no reason why Motive could not support Anthem or any other EA owned studio. Their website even has an article with a new hire talking about prototyping with Frostbite. (https://www.ea.com/motivestudios/new...kim-swift.html)

https://www.ea.com/play2016/news/the...tar-wars-games
    A brand new Star Wars story will debut in a new action adventure game from Visceral Games™.
    It is entirely possible that Bioware Montreal will still exist but be managed by EA Motive. They could be the branch that will collaborate with Bioware. EA Motive already seems to be the "chaperone" to a few EA studios.

- - - Updated - - -

They're largely going back to what they were - a support studio. The studio is just changing names, more or less. When a studio is closed down, it actually closes down. Staff are fired, assets absorbed or liquidated etc., you don't keep everyone on board, rename the studio, and set them to work on a new project.
    So if WoWhead bought MMO-Champion and shut the site down and transferred all moderators (and employees) to WoWhead you would not consider MMO-Champion closed down? That is some backwards logic. However there is no real indication if Bioware Montreal was closed and now a part of Motive or if they will be in the same building and managed by motive. The only official statement by EA didn't state it either way.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The human asserts were absorbed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    The human asserts were absorbed.
    Does that make EA Motive the Kett or the Reapers? I guess it depends on if Bioware Montreal is still an individual group with in Motive or not. (Reapers would be a group with in and Kett would be no individual status).
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    I am the only one, who is tired of EA bullshit? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Does that make EA Motive the Kett or the Reapers? I guess it depends on if Bioware Montreal is still an individual group with in Motive or not. (Reapers would be a group with in and Kett would be no individual status).
    EA is the Borg.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Old franchises are revived every year. Mass effect could also be revived, but not in the near foreseeable future. That probably no new mass effect game for at least 5 years, probably more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    Old franchises are revived every year. Mass effect could also be revived, but not in the near foreseeable future. That probably no new mass effect game for at least 5 years, probably more.
    Anthem is ment to last for the next decade, so no Mass Effect before 2028.

10+ Year Old Account
    This oldie but goodie spooky story is a great way to reboot mass effect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs8kviwwd_Y

I just want the DLC T.T

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    But overall, it just can't be "that bad", right?
    Not really. It had some big issues at launch that overshadowed what was otherwise a pretty solid game, and the improvements have helped a ton since launch.

But between average review scores that are 15-20+ points lower than ME1-3 (low to mid 70's), very lackluster sales (retailers have way too much stock that they still can't get rid of), and the drumming that the reception gave the studio and brands reputation, not to mention the endless memes, there's no getting away from the more extreme reactions. And we've seen the studio get absorbed into EA Motive while the franchise is put on ice.

It was sorta a perfect storm after the last issues they had with the ME3 ending, which already did some damage to Bioware/Mass Effect. It's unfortunate but you can't control the consumer reaction, and sometimes it spins out of control : /

Only issues I have with the game are related to probably too ambitious or restricted design budget
    It wasn't budget, there's plenty of information about the dysfunction that went on throughout the development process. The games issues are pretty squarely placed on BW and their leads on this project, it was pretty poorly mismanaged. That much was pretty apparent late 2016 when people were shitting on the near-release trailers that were featuring alpha-quality animation work in them, with BioWare promising that animations would be improved before launch. That didn't really fool many folks, you don't do that kind of massive amount of work/polish on animations in that short period of time. You don't release marketing trailers, especially that close to launch, with such poor quality work in them.

That trailer was a gigantic red flag that had everyone primed and ready to hate on the game if the issues weren't addressed and...well, they were just as bad, if not worse, than a lot of folks expected. If the game had at least hit the quality bar of DA:I, an early release this generation that wouldn't be viewed as favorably now but was still well received at the time, it wouldn't have received anywhere near the amount of flack that it did.

I had fun with it. Did 3 complete playthroughs which is much more than I've done with other more highly rated games. Probably done with it for now unless by some miracle that we get a single player DLC.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm guessing this means no story DLC? Its a shame. I played ME:A when it launched (took a week off of work even), and although I saw the flaws I still enjoyed its story and how they tried something new with the storytelling. I haven't tried it since any of the patches came out, but I get the feeling this game just had the unfortunate luck of falling into the position of low-hanging fruit for the internet to use as a punching bag.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Oh wow I thought they canned sequels not all development. I wanted to see the Quarian ark.

Honestly it's not that bad a game, just nowhere near the quality of ME1-3 which are some of the best RPGs ever made... it was obvious they weren't going to make a product as good as that, considering how much fans loved Shepard & his squad.

I still can't think Andromeda is "that bad".

Maybe it had issues when it was released but most of them animation glitches definitely have been patched out. But in my opinion the rest of the game consists of pretty cool "core Mass effect" features. It has tons of content, some of it might be pretty shallow (task quests?) but the stories are there. The combat is awesome and fun, both on PC and on PS4 (played with M/KB or Controller). Tons of build and play style variety and character customization options, more talents and more thought-out combat system than any of the previous games in the series. By pure graphical viewpoint it's very good looking game both on PC and PS4.

Only issues I have with the game are related to probably too ambitious or restricted design budget, I mean those secondary NPC's which use same facial models which make some of the scenes look pretty creepy when there are two exactly similar Asari on the scene while they should be completely different characters. I'm also missing more interesting companions, something is just missing from this 6 or what the game has. Also the game doesn't seem to have that many familiar alien races from previous games, but then again, this is a new galaxy. Also don't let me mention Allison and some other human secondary NPC's on the Nexus.

I can agree that Remnants are pretty similar to Geth/Reapers and the lack of discovery/Interaction with undiscovered worlds, but then again, main planets have more than enough driving on the Nomad vehicle. It lacks a "citylike" planet and has two "similar" desert planets, but yeah..

Definitely not ''that bad'' to me at all. In my personal rankings I put it ahead of ME1, about equal to ME3 with all its DLCs, and behind ME2. I enjoyed it a lot and have as many hours played as I do on the fabled Witcher 3.

It's a good game. But it could have been a great one, with better writing in places, more polish when it comes to animations and bugs, and more originality when creating the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Oh wow I thought they canned sequels not all development. I wanted to see the Quarian ark.
    I don't believe they ever announced that the had plans for story DLC ahead of launch, though we knew we'd get the usual post-launch bug fix/optimization patches and likely some multiplayer DLC stuff since that's all relatively cheap.

Folks expected it, but I think it was pretty obvious early on that any potential plans were in jeopardy, and by June IIRC they had all but been completely confirmed as scrapped. It sucks, but if the game underperformed, why dump a ton of money into additional story content to sell to your far smaller than anticipated audience? : /