View Poll Results: Going forward on Healthcare for the U.S what should be done?

Voters
81. This poll is closed
  • Fix Affordable Healthcare Act

25 30.86%
  • Go Public Option

33 40.74%
  • Let it Implode

12 14.81%
  • Do nothing or Something else Comment below.

11 13.58%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    A few states have tried to implement it on a state level. Nevada recently passed a law allowing any resident who doesn't qualify for medicaid to buy into it. It was vetoed by the Republican governor.

Wisconsin has floated the idea.
    the democrats in wisconsin who are a minority floated the idea. the republicans all said absolutely not.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Coming to the US for important medical care when their socialized services fail them miserably?
    Our health care does not "fail". In fact, our healthcare providers PAY for external surgeries if the need arises (It rarely does), But you wouldn't care about that, you're clearly just someone who watches attack adds and believes that your healthcare (that you pay over double than everyone else for) is suceeding. If you want to back up yours with a single fact, that we come in mass droves to the US, please do, until then, keep your uneducated opinions to yourself.

Want me to get some HDI, QoL charts? Death rates from preventable diseases and something preventive care could have stopped from happening. How about drug costs? Don't worry, you're probably loving paying thousands and thousands of dollars ONTOP of your insurance "coverage" when it doesn't add up.
    Last edited by Varitok; 2017-08-01 at 08:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Going forward on Healthcare for the U.S what should be done?

Now that Repeal and Replace of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), what do you think should be the path forward concerning the health insurance?

Do you have health insurance, how much does it cost, and has the ACA helped you or hurt you?

Would you support the Public Option?

What is a Public Option in Practice is it like Universal Healthcare in some other countries?

If you have Universal Healthcare or any kind of Health Insurance where you are from how does it differ than the U.S?

My health insurance has gone up, mostly because I have pre existing conditions, but also because I make over a a certain amount and has assets. It did go up a bit since Obamacare, but there isn't any one thing I could suggest has done that.

i think you forgot to mention what exactly happened to repeal and replace in your second sentence mall because i honestly do NOT know what your trying to get across happened to it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amurica must be the only first world country where having a good and free health care is still debatable.
    It's sad beyond any comprehansation

Quote Originally Posted by Direpenguin View Post
    Coming to the US for important medical care when their socialized services fail them miserably?
    That's rich, I have family that works in insurance and Ive had it drilled into me how important it is to be covered when travelling to the states incase there is a Medical emergency. Many horror stories of peoples lives being ruined by tens or hundreds of thousands for seemingly minor things, even millions in medical expenses for life saving procedures.

Ive been in and out of hospitals for various reasons, once when I was younger for something that could have killed me. (Pericardial tapmonade) And my family has never had to worry about medical expenses. Only prescription costs (which can be covered by other systems)
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Lot of people want single payer. I guess they are cool with a 20-30% tax increase then since it is for the better good. It's really the only option unfortunately, but man will it be unpopular once everyone starts paying for it, and also will always be attributed to the democrats and Obama specifically. Talk about a legacy killer.
    If it meant not getting slammed with bills for thousands of dollars down the road because a family member came down with a sudden illness, or fell and broke something, or heaven forbid got cancer....yes I would gladly pay the extra tax money. Besides, that tax hike isn't much higher then the premium i'm paying each paycheck that would be gone under single payer.

I want absolutely nothing to do with any government run healthcare.

I was on medicare for 4 years and it was garbage.

The cheapest health care I could find was 10x better than it.

The US has had issues with government based health care because the programs it has in that regard (Medicaid, Medicare, the VA) focus on groups with disproportionate amounts of sick people.

The rest of the industrialized world does just fine with them because they include their entire populations in their risk pools.

Go single payer, and tax capital gains at the same rate as income to pay for it. As well as raising the top tax rate back to 91% like it was in the 1950s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    It is actually.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Source
    That's universal, not American. Keep that commie hippy filthy bullshit off my 7 thousand dollar, 3 hour stay in the ER, 5 bags of Saline, one nurse helping me pee, and a wheelchair ride since I couldn't stand because I was fuckered up with heat stroke after being outdoors in NC for 6 hours, 50 SPF sunscreen, reapplied every 2 hours, that failed like Moochy, before being sent home with a script for percocet. With no insurance.

Oh yeah, a full blood screening after the ER doc repeatedly told me not to drink alcohol and stay out in the sun because this happens, even after I repeatedly told him I had drank on booze and rarely drank if at all. And fucker was amazed my blood work and such came back (drum roll please) NO ALCOHOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

We vote out every politician from the before the 1990's an on. Even the ones that voted for ACA and the current ones trying to keep parts of it. Show the political elite that if they screw everyday americans they won't be in office and won't ever see that nice retirement package. Also we should strip the people in right now of the retirement package since the lobbyist already gave them one. We should also press charges of corruption against all of them. Then when the government understands the consequences of duping everyday americans we can start to actually get policies that work for everyday americans. Fuck your party lines. Vote them out or it will never change.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-08-02 at 04:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    Health care should be a basic human right.

It is, thing is rights aren't free.

If Healthcare should be free because it's a right, I guess everyone in the US gets free guns, because we have a right to firearms. Oh wait, that's silly.

You have the right to pursue healthcare, not get it for free, you have the right to pursue food and water, not get it for free, you have the right to life, but you still have to work to stay alive, you have the right to liberty, but it still has to be fought for, you have the right to pursue happiness, it is not provided for you.

Rights are not free.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    How, and what would that look like, what does THE PUBLIC OPTION look like?
    What does the Public Option look like?

It looks like California's Public Option... great on paper until you see that it doubles the states budget and includes no way to pay for all of that "free" health care.

Public Option is so awesome... that no State has used their States Rights to implement it themselves - although they are now SUPER interested in State Rights now that the "Other Team" has control.

"Free" Healthcare isn't free...

What should happen? Get rid of the reason healthcare is so expensive in the US: Government over regulation. Layer upon layer of bureaucracy. Complete lack of visibility on costs. Complete lack of competition.

Each of those problems (and more) add layers of cost.

The last thing we need is complete government controlled coverage... Complete with kick backs, exemptions for those with the right connections, tax increases, cost over runs, loss of Doctors, loss of plans, committees deciding who lives and dies (IE: Charlie Gard).

The ACA was built upon lies (Like your Plan? Doctor? Want to save $2500 a year? It's not a tax. etc). Burn it to the ground and get rid of that un-American pile of garbage.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post
    What does the Public Option look like?
    Allowing people to buy into Medicare the same way they can buy into other insurance companies.

It looks like California's Public Option... great on paper until you see that it doubles the states budget and includes no way to pay for all of that "free" health care.
    That analysis was concerning switching to a single payer model, which is not the same thing as a public option.

Public Option is so awesome... that no State has used their States Rights to implement it themselves - although they are now SUPER interested in State Rights now that the "Other Team" has control.
    Gee, it's almost as if most states can't afford such a scheme individually because they don't have the income pool of the federal government, which can.

"Free" Healthcare isn't free...
    Which is a meaningless criticism.

What should happen? Get rid of the reason healthcare is so expensive in the US: Government over regulation. Layer upon layer of bureaucracy. Complete lack of visibility on costs. Complete lack of competition.
    Clearly this is why in every other western country despite having less competition and far more direct government regulation they enjoy far lower healthcare costs than the US.

The only 'layer upon layer of bureaucracy' comes from the shitsquillion insurance companies that need to be dealt with.

The last thing we need is complete government controlled coverage... Complete with kick backs, exemptions for those with the right connections, tax increases, cost over runs, loss of Doctors, loss of plans, committees deciding who lives and dies (IE: Charlie Gard).
    None of which you really see in other developed countries, strangely.

Whereas America's for-profit system doesn't even mask the goal of increasing insurance company profits and doing so at the expense of everyone else.

The ACA was built upon lies (Like your Plan? Doctor? Want to save $2500 a year? It's not a tax. etc). Burn it to the ground and get rid of that un-American pile of garbage.
    I agree, Republicans are quite un-American.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2017-08-02 at 06:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    It is, thing is rights aren't free.

If Healthcare should be free because it's a right, I guess everyone in the US gets free guns, because we have a right to firearms. Oh wait, that's silly.
    See that bolded part? That pretty much summs up your entire argument. Nobody has ever suggested that Universal Healthcare / Single Payer / Whatever you want to call it is or should be free. There is always a cost associated with it. There are just significantly better ways of addressing that cost than the absolute clusterfuck that is the American Health Insurance / Medical Industry.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxsins View Post
    The solution is simple: ban health insurance. Completely.

Everyone pays out of pocket - doctors and pharmaceutical companies will be forced to reduce their prices.

With health insurance premiums gone, people will have more money to simply pay out of pocket when they need to. Charities can be further developed to fund people who really need it in an emergency.

This solution sounds radical, and it is, but ask yourselves this question: if someone has to pay for medical costs, why do we need the insurance middle man? The money will always come from somewhere, so it's not like we aren't paying the same amount of money in aggregate already, this just removes the inefficiency of having the money go through insurance companies along the way.
    So what you're suggesting is that everyone who gets sick should open a gofundme account & post on there for help? Yeah that sounds reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerCD View Post

Oh great. Another "the free market will solve everything" magical happy ending moron. Pro tip: That Government Overregulation? It's literally the only thing keeping the shitshow that is your Health Insurance System from utterly fucking you in the ass for profit and willfully spitting in your face when you try to actually claim any of the services you are paying for. You think the system is bad now? It would be a hundred times worse if you tossed out the regulation and attempted to let the Health Insurance Industry self regulate.

Also, nice appeal to emotion name dropping Charlie Gard. Fascinating how you appear to have absolutely no clue what his case was actually about though.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Keep the ACA, add a public option.
    I cant afford healthcare even with the ACA. So what do i do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Move to a less shitty state that actually expanded Medicaid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxsins View Post
    The solution is simple: ban health insurance. Completely.

Everyone pays out of pocket - doctors and pharmaceutical companies will be forced to reduce their prices.

With health insurance premiums gone, people will have more money to simply pay out of pocket when they need to. Charities can be further developed to fund people who really need it in an emergency.

This solution sounds radical, and it is, but ask yourselves this question: if someone has to pay for medical costs, why do we need the insurance middle man? The money will always come from somewhere, so it's not like we aren't paying the same amount of money in aggregate already, this just removes the inefficiency of having the money go through insurance companies along the way.
    Brilliant idea. I mean, that is one sure-fire way to reduce the overpopulation crisis everyone keeps throwing around buzzwords about. Just ensure that 70 odd percent of the population are faced with one of two choices: End up in debt for a few generations the next time they need major surgery, or just simply die.

Lets get on this stat. Just give me a few months to heavily invest in money lenders, loan sharks, and collection agency tough men first, k?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    10 guesses what kind of state you live in, and the first 9 of them don't start with B.