Vega + Freesync monitor Vs. 1070 + G-sync monitor

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a new PC around the time Vega gets released and so far, my go-to card is the 1070.

I am wondering if it is well worth it if I buy a Vega 64 + a good Freesync monitor over the 1070 because my reasoning is that it would be cheaper/equal to the price of a 1070 + a good G-sync monitor.

with overclocking it might be like having a 1080 card with a g-sync monitor.

thoughts?

--------------------------------

OT: if I want to future proof my PC, is it well worth it if I buy a 7700k instead of a 7600k or Ryzen alternative?
    "It is always darkest just before the dawn " ~Thomas Fuller

7+ Year Old Account
    Wait for the Vega benchmarks to be 100% sure. But as it looks, if the numbers that are speculated and shown to the public as far is correct, then the RX Vega + a FreeSync monitor will yield better performance, and at the same time save you some bucks compared to an GTX 1070 and a G-Sync.

When it comes to your futureproofing, I'd say go for the R7 1700, it's a beast at both gaming and multithreaded workloads as I've seen in multiple videos, and the AM4 socket is one that AMD has said will be lasting for some years going forward now. Buying an KabyLake intel CPU now, when Coffeelake around the corner wouldn't be a total waste either, but the Coffeelake will outperform Kaby.

1070s are overpriced because of mining , getting Rx Vega + freesync monitor is probably better value, also since you want to future proof your PC get Ryzen 5 1600 or r7 1700 (depends on your budget), also if you are @ USA check AMD Vega packs for savings
    Last edited by Darkstrike; 2017-08-02 at 07:01 AM.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaevrie View Post
    Wait for the Vega benchmarks to be 100% sure. But as it looks, if the numbers that are speculated and shown to the public as far is correct, then the RX Vega + a FreeSync monitor will yield better performance, and at the same time save you some bucks compared to an GTX 1070 and a G-Sync.

When it comes to your futureproofing, I'd say go for the R7 1700, it's a beast at both gaming and multithreaded workloads as I've seen in multiple videos, and the AM4 socket is one that AMD has said will be lasting for some years going forward now. Buying an KabyLake intel CPU now, when Coffeelake around the corner wouldn't be a total waste either, but the Coffeelake will outperform Kaby.
    The RX Vega cost the same as a cheap GTX 1080ti, but performe worse, so as it looks right now the whole Vega line is DOA

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 56 official slide performance specs price leak/
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    The RX Vega cost the same as a cheap GTX 1080ti, but performe worse, so as it looks right now the whole Vega line is DOA

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 56 official slide performance specs price leak/
    Because clearly 499$ for a Vega 64 is "the same" as the 700$+ a GTX 1080TI costs.

7+ Year Old Account
    Removed for extreme doubleposting.. Something went terrible wrong x)
    Last edited by KingSapmi; 2017-08-02 at 07:18 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Text removed because of even more double posting.. I'm new on this forum, god help me I suck at posting :P
    Last edited by KingSapmi; 2017-08-02 at 07:18 PM.

If your aim is to choose in competition with the 1070, it would seems the vega 56 is more appropriate.

The 64 is meant to be a 1080 contender (not TI) but looks like it has a pretty high wattage.
    The 56 is meant to be a 1070 contender - Slightly weaker, 100$ less expensive, wattage is at 210, which is a lot more reasonable (Expecting lots less problem with heat/cooling and noise).
    Last edited by DarkAztaroth; 2017-08-02 at 09:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to shit on your parade, but if you think you are going to be able to buy Vega at MSRP anytime soon - you are in for a disappointment. First of all buying reference Vega is asking for trouble with that blower on an inefficient card, so you will need to wait for aftermarket solutions - that's September the earliest and certainly higher price already, then you will be certain to face supply issues and what not which will boost price further.

Realistically - the best option is 1080+Gsync, really, because 1080 prices are not inflated, while everything else you mentioned is/will be and most important you can get it now instead of in September maybe.

7+ Year Old Account
    My previous post deleted itself..

And instead of searching up everything I did previously, I'll just do a quick TLDR:

Cheapest GTX 1080 + Cheapest Gsync monitor (24 inch) ended up north off 900$
    Cheapest RX Vega + (not even the cheapest) FreeSync monitor (27 inch) ended up at 588$

Or just going by the bundle they offer, as mentioned in the quote below.

The AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid, Air and reference models will be shipping with these packs. The starting price of the Radeon Red pack is $499 US for the reference model which grants you two free games (Wolfenstein II and Prey 2). The higher priced Radeon Black Pack for $599 US grants you the game and a $100 US discount on a Ryzen 7 CPU while the top end Radeon Aqua pack will get you all of the above plus $200 off of an Samsung ultra-wide FreeSync monitor for just $699 US.
    The cheapest Gsync was a 24 inch, while the FreeSync one I picked out was a 27 inch. The one in the bundle is a 32 or 34 inch, can't remember which.
    Last edited by KingSapmi; 2017-08-02 at 12:03 PM.

Get a Nvidia card and use Fast Sync with a Freesync monitor.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Get vega for "future-proofing". When DX12 starts to get used more vega will kick the 1070 and 1080's ass.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally think Volta is going to be king when it lands, so if I had to buy now, I would look for a good 1070 and Gsync or even a 1060 just to get by, but that depends on what resolution and Hz you plan on going as fast sync and enhanced sync may be all you need.

the Vegas...meh first the Reference cards are going to land and we all know how the blower cards run. If going AMD I would wait for AIBs and as noted, that will be sometime in September, but I dont think you will find them at the MSRP, more like upwards of $100 or more due to the mining craze.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a C e View Post

--------------------------------

OT: if I want to future proof my PC, is it well worth it if I buy a 7700k instead of a 7600k or Ryzen alternative?
    I would get the 7700K if your main objective is gaming and you want to buy now. If you need your PC for productivity, the 1700 is selling for $279-299

I would wait for Coffee Lake if you can hold off for a little while and see how they actually perform and what cost is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HasturTheKing View Post
    The prices where I live for an GTX 1080 (Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Jetstream) is around $709 for the cheapest, while the RX Vega is $499 for the Vega 56 pack (Red Pack) and that is a bundle with a special offering on the side of the price you pay.

Quote from your own link.

The RX Vega 56 as a stand alone costs $399 for just the card. The cheapest 1080ti I found after a quick search on Newegg is priced at $699, the cheapest GTX 1080 (non ti) is priced at $506. So yes, the RX Vega delivers 1080 performance at a lower cost than a 1080, in fact it is priced around a 1070 with stronger performance than a 1070.
    (I am currently not allowed to post any links or images yet, however GamerNexus, CandyTech, AnandTech has the prices for the cards bought outside of the bundle (Red pack, black pack etc)
    How many post did you need to make

Here in Denmark the start price of the RX Vega will be 1.150$ and right now you can get at GTX 1080ti for 900$. The liquid cooled card will cost 1.310$

RX Vega start price in Denmark

Those prices that AMD has shown is not the prices you will be able to get the card for. the shops will charge more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Get vega for "future-proofing". When DX12 starts to get used more vega will kick the 1070 and 1080's ass.
    Yes but when that time comes the GTX 2060/2070/2080 and 2080ti will be out and they will beat the RX Vega. The RX Vega line is DOA
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2017-08-02 at 06:49 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

7+ Year Old Account
    I tried posting 4 times, hoping that one time would stick.. I gave up in the end and just made a TLDR version But I now see that one of them got posted twice, I'm gonna remove one of them. This is so confusing x)

Here in Norway the price for the cheapest GTX 1080 is at 5599,- NOK, which is 706$ translated to Dollar.
    On the other hand, the RX Vega 56 is 3147,- NOK, which is their 399$ pricing.

But yeah, the GPU will of course fluctuate in price from country to country. Oh, and off-topic, how's Denmark now in August? Saving up my vacation for a trip to Køben

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HasturTheKing View Post
    I tried posting 4 times, hoping that one time would stick.. I gave up in the end and just made a TLDR version But I now see that one of them got posted twice, I'm gonna remove one of them. This is so confusing x)

Here in Norway the price for the cheapest GTX 1080 is at 5599,- NOK, which is 706$ translated to Dollar.
    On the other hand, the RX Vega 56 is 3147,- NOK, which is their 399$ pricing.

But yeah, the GPU will of course fluctuate in price from country to country. Oh, and off-topic, how's Denmark now in August? Saving up my vacation for a trip to Køben
    We are having the worst summer in 38 years. Nothing but rain and rain. In the last week we have gotten over 100mm rain

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    We are having the worst summer in 38 years. Nothing but rain and rain. In the last week we have gotten over 100mm rain
    Ugh, that sucks.. It's actually the same here, got one week of awesomeness, followed by just two months of just pouring rain. :/ Good time to spend in front of a computer then hehe.

With AMD until those cards are released and have better drivers there is no good way to judge the cards. But from the AMD press they say Vega+Freesync is about $300 less than a comparable nvidia card and a gsync monitor.

For future proofing either are fine. The 7700k is a little overkill. The 7600k is fine. If you want Ryzen get a 1700. It's the exact same chip as the 1700X and 1800X and with a little overclocking you can make it perform just as well and save the $170-$270.