Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSarumantheWise View Post
    Hmm, I suppose. I think what I would like, though, is a truly benevolent race. We still kill many Nerubians. Most of them are evil. I'd love for Blizz to add a new race which was friendly and we could get to know them and work with them. When I first saw the Botani I thought they would be good. They would've been interesting. The reason I say this is because I think invertebrates or arthropods have a bad reputation. It'd be interesting to see something like a beetle race or even a butterfly race (in a slightly more mature style) because after all these little guys do a lot for humans in terms of their ecology as do most insect groups.

I like the bent of this thinking; it could also lay the groundwork for some unique lore and design.

edit: Ohhhh and then you have things like gear designs and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinrael View Post
    You need sunlight. You need movement. You need fresh air. You need green nature. It is just as important as eating healthy, sleeping properly and so on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Have faith in us. Americans are fighters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by godz View Post
    The only good bug is a Dead Bug!
    Some education would go along way for you, my friend...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asotcha View Post
    I like the bent of this thinking; it could also lay the groundwork for some unique lore and design.

edit: Ohhhh and then you have things like gear designs and stuff.
    I think the Klaxxi are one of the most unique races in WoW. Very cool design aesthetic and lore. Voice acting is good too. More insectoids!

Deleted
    Some education would go along way for you, my friend...
    You should watch Starship Troopers.

Sounds like you could use the education.

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume they are vertebrates, back boned animals based on a theme of fungi. They're sort of like a cross between a human, an amphibian and sort of a cephalopod (mostly because of their large heads) to me. Mostly they are just... "mushroom men" according to WoWWiki.

Edit: Just for future reference, invertebrates are anything without a backbone. Think of millipedes, centipedes, crustaceans, all of the insects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Nah, they are mushroom people like toad. They are probably boneless too.
    I was thinking maybe like Kif Kroker who is supported by fluid-filled bladders.

Quote Originally Posted by godz View Post
    You should watch Starship Troopers.

Sounds like you could use the education.

Down with the Bugs!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-08-02 at 04:51 PM.

In the War of the Ancients trilogy, there's a race of stick bugs that were seemingly Ancients/Wild Gods themselves. They fought against the Legion with the other Ancients, and they were only mentioned in passing with several other cool sounding Wild Gods.

However, since World of Warcraft any bug/arachnid race has been pretty much stated to have come from the Old Gods themselves, and depicted as an enemy. Since we haven't seen the stick bugs in WoW, I wouldn't imagine we're going to now. Most stuff concerning the Wild Gods - especially the ones more related to Night Elves - has already been thoroughly covered in Val'sharah and Mount Hyjal. If the stick bugs do appear, I would still assume they'd be related to the Aqir, because that's just kind of what Blizzard does.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    In the War of the Ancients trilogy, there's a race of stick bugs that were seemingly Ancients/Wild Gods themselves. They fought against the Legion with the other Ancients, and they were only mentioned in passing with several other cool sounding Wild Gods.

However, since World of Warcraft any bug/arachnid race has been pretty much stated to have come from the Old Gods themselves, and depicted as an enemy. Since we haven't seen the stick bugs in WoW, I wouldn't imagine we're going to now. Most stuff concerning the Wild Gods - especially the ones more related to Night Elves - has already been thoroughly covered in Val'sharah and Mount Hyjal. If the stick bugs do appear, I would still assume they'd be related to the Aqir, because that's just kind of what Blizzard does.
    Wow, I never knew about those. Very cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess ancients (the trees) are technically invertebrates, as are any elementals.

Don't use WoWWiki man. It's creators left 7 years ago to create WoWPedia, a site way better. Only reason WoWWiki is still about is cause Wikia doesn't take down sites, and Google favors sites by that provider in its search results.

Anyway, an insectoid race has limits to how insectoid it can be. After all this is WoW. So we can be sure of 3 things:

1. It can't have (functional) wings. People will want a flying race, but flying is only allowed in old content, not new content and instances. Blizz isn't going to give us a flying race that isn't allowed to fly, 90% of the game.
    2. It can only have 4 limbs. It's going to have to need a pretty humanoid body if it's going to look right in our armors.
    3. It can't look too alien. If the face looks too off-putting or scary, it'll be an unpopular race to play.

So, you're looking at something like this:

Still offers fun options though. They could do some cool things. I'd sort of love it if they made the female of the bug race bigger than the male. Rather than do the classic "We'll make the female thinner, cuter, and slap boobs onto the chest even if it wouldn't make sense" approach of the old days.
    Last edited by Caerule; 2017-08-02 at 04:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    I guess ancients (the trees) are technically invertebrates, as are any elementals.
    Not... exactly. The terms invertebrate and vertebrate are only technically used for the kingdom Animalia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    Don't use WoWWiki man. It's creators left 7 years ago to create WoWPedia, a site way better. Only reason WoWWiki is still about is cause Wikia doesn't take down sites, and Google favors sites by that provider in its search results.

Anyway, an insectoid race has limits to how insectoid it can be. After all this is WoW. So we can be sure of 3 things:

1. It can't have (functional) wings. People will want a flying race, but flying is only allowed in old content, not new content and instances. Blizz isn't going to give us a flying race that isn't allowed to fly, 90% of the game.
    2. It can only have 4 limbs. It's going to have to need a pretty humanoid body if it's going to look right in our armors.
    3. It can't look too alien. If the face looks too off-putting or scary, it'll be an unpopular race to play.

So, you're looking at something like this:

Still offers fun options though. They could do some cool things. I'd sort of love it if they made the female of the bug race bigger than the male. Rather than do the classic "We'll make the female thinner, cuter, and slap boobs onto the chest even if it wouldn't make sense" approach of the old days.
    They don't even need to humanoid, really. I would love to play an actual Hexapod with wings. Maybe their jump animation would be like a long glide like the demon hunter and once you hit level cap you can fly or something. Also, boo hoo to the people who wouldn't want to be such a thing because it looks scary or off putting.

Also, boo hoo to the people who wouldn't want to be such a thing because it looks scary or off putting.
    Go look at the stats for characters, the most popular are "Pretty" nelfs/belfs, most unpopular are ugly, dwarves/goblins.

For some reason I forgot about NPCs like Reclaimer A'zak. Makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Not exactly the best attitude to have...
    Especially since most theories lead to believe bugs will outlast mammals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    Go look at the stats for characters, the most popular are "Pretty" nelfs/belfs, most unpopular are ugly, dwarves/goblins.
    Oh no, I'm not denying it at all. I just think people should be a bit more open with "odd" or "unique" race choices.

- - - Updated - - -

At least there are a lot of nice insect and arachnid models around the world from Silithus to Pandaria to Northrend... Least there's that. Quite a few actually. Carrion beetles, water striders, scorpions, spiders, crickets, wasps ,etc.

There is probably room for one.
    Anyone think about Lothraxion? I know he is not a bug race and such, but he alone would suggest that Blizzard have ventured into that realm, and could possibly do more of it. He alone shows that not all such races will stick to their common alignments.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquinan View Post
    While obviously playable races are incorporated with the intention of them being played, we can't overlook that their inclusion also has (or is intended to have at least) a big impact on lore progression. Blizzard can't afford to always introduce just cutesy sexy races, because there will be a moment where suspension of disbelief will be pushed too far and things will become animmo#97

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    There is probably room for one.
    Anyone think about Lothraxion? I know he is not a bug race and such, but he alone would suggest that Blizzard have ventured into that realm, and could possibly do more of it. He alone shows that not all such races will stick to their common alignments.
    Had never seen him before until you mentioned. Yeah, not a "bug" by any means but an interesting character. A Nathrezim turned good. Holy, even.

Had never seen him before until you mentioned. Yeah, not a "bug" by any means but an interesting character. A Nathrezim turned good. Holy, even.
    well, nathrezim are one of the pure demons, meaning they weren't turned into demons by the legion like the eredar. they're free thinking, and likely can choose whether they want to follow their inclinations towards chaos or be something else. some used to worship the void.

idk if i'd want the bug race infused with light though. i mean, it'd be kinda neat, but idk.

7+ Year Old Account
    i would like to see a humanoid insect race playable, would be fun as hell, i like the mantides overall

but tis just me, more race means more fun and options to chose

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    the tress are technically trees, invertebrates and vertebrates are animal exclusive...
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2017-08-02 at 05:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    well, nathrezim are one of the pure demons, meaning they weren't turned into demons by the legion like the eredar. they're free thinking, and likely can choose whether they want to follow their inclinations towards chaos or be something else. some used to worship the void.

idk if i'd want the bug race infused with light though. i mean, it'd be kinda neat, but idk.
    Yeah I'd prefer not. I would just like an independent insect race. Here's hoping for next xpac.

Edit: by the way, I hate to sound pedantic, but whenever anyone says bug I think of the Hempitera...the true bugs. The word bug specifically refers to a particular type of insect. It makes things confusing. I know what you mean of course, but still.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    the tress are technically trees, invertebrates and vertebrates are animal exclusive...
    Yeah. I thought that was pretty... clear cut.
    Last edited by mmoc37b524a896; 2017-08-02 at 05:28 PM.

Yeah I'd prefer not. I would just like an independent insect race. Here's hoping for next xpac.

Edit: by the way, I hate to sound pedantic, but whenever anyone says bug I think of the Hempitera...the true bugs. The word bug specifically refers to a particular type of insect. It makes things confusing. I know what you mean of course, but still.
    i'm not an entomologist, so i don't know things like that really. but i was actually thinking of a beetle race when i opened this thread.

like maybe based on the hercules beetle, cause they're simply adorable.