Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Which "other chemicals" do you think are bad for you, and why?
    You're kidding right? Have you never looked into this before? Some of the things they use instead of actual sugar are aspartame, cyclamate, saccharin, acesulfame-k or sucralose.

I'm also curious what you think sucralose is a "bi-product [sic" of.
    I already explained that. If you want the entire history lesson on Sucralose, its not hard to find.

Herehttp://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/2005/02/weird_science_h.html

Pretty good list of the chemicals they could have used. Chlorine being the one they chose. One fun tidbit for you
    Basically, the chemists force chlorine into an unnatural chemical bond with a sugar molecule, resulting in a sweeter product, but at a price: a huge amount of artificial chemicals must be added to keep sucralose from digesting in our bodies. These toxic substances also prevent (hopefully) the dangerous chlorine molecules from detaching from the sugar molecule inside the digestive system, which would be a carcinogenic hazard.
    Yum. Totally want to eat that.

It's weird to me how many know absolutely nothing about chemistry, but make strong assertions. Surely that's not you, right?
    Indeed its not. I have looked into this stuff. Sucralose is not natural and requires chemical engineering in order to produce. It could have serious health hazards yet its so widely used. I would cut out all sweets before using that chemical filled garbage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    "Man who has no facts still join the debate because he thinks an opinion based on nothing still matters"

Meanwhile in the land of normal rational people, artificial sweeteners are accepted as being inert and not affecting your system at all (sucrose an exception, but it's also rarely used now). They actually work because your body doesn't absorb them, while your taste buds still reacts to them.

Here are some sources to get you started:
    Mallikarjun S., Sieburth R.M. "Aspartame and Risk of Cancer: A Meta-analytic Review." Arch Environ Occup Health. 2015 May 4;70(3):133-41

Butchko H.H. et al. "Aspartame: review of safety." Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2002 Apr;35(2 Pt 2):S1-93.

Schernhammer E.S. "Consumption of artificial sweetener- and sugar-containing soda and risk of lymphoma and leukemia in men and women." Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Dec;96(6):1419-28.
    Here is one for you: http://www.janethull.com/newsletter/...discovered.php

That includes a complete chemical break down for sucralose. In the land of Rational people, we do research on a subject before we assume we know whats going on. We don't accept it as "not affecting your system" since everything you put into your body has some affect.

Oh, and surely you have seen this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2746847/ I mean, surely you know how animal studies don't translate to humans well in multiple situations.

You linked three studies, concerning Aspartame. My example was on Sucralose specifically. So while nothing has been linked to Aspartame in your studies, a quick search found this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.198c17748b42

Several other articles if you want. Summarized results: Diet soda has been potentially linked to increased rates of stroke and dementia.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2017-08-03 at 04:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Several other articles if you want. Summarized results: Diet soda has been potentially linked to increased rates of stroke and dementia.
    That word 'potentially' is super fucking important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

You're kidding right? Have you never looked into this before? Some of the things they use instead of actual sugar are aspartame, cyclamate, saccharin, acesulfame-k or sucralose.

I already explained that. If you want the entire history lesson on Sucralose, its not hard to find.

Herehttp://www.splendaexposed.com/articles/2005/02/weird_science_h.html

Pretty good list of the chemicals they could have used. Chlorine being the one they chose. One fun tidbit for you

Yum. Totally want to eat that.

Indeed its not. I have looked into this stuff. Sucralose is not natural and requires chemical engineering in order to produce. It could have serious health hazards yet its so widely used. I would cut out all sweets before using that chemical filled garbage.
    There's not even a shred of substance here. Your entire argument hinges on a fear of chlorine and words that sounds like "chemicals".

I sure hope you fastidiously avoid NaCl - scary chemicals, that sodium chloride.

This is why I just laugh at anyone who drinks Diet soda. Its far worse for you then regular soda. They replace the sugar with other chemicals. Not to mention that artificial sweeteners are the worst. Splenda, the most common one, is a bi-product of trying to find a pesticide. Artifical sweeteners really should be outlawed.
    Ugh, I know. I hate chemicals. Especially air and water, 'cause they are everywhere! Every time I breath fresh air or drink purified water, I can feel all those chemicals infesting my body. If only we could live in a world without chemicals. I mean, sure it would resemble the vacuum of space, but at least there would be none of those nasty chemicals.

I have thought of the perfect solution.
    We should tax them by the ounce. This will surely stop people purchasing them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    How is this new news? We knew this a long time ago.

He is right about something? Maybe that is news? lol

- - - Updated - - -

If I drank the same amount of regular soda that I do diet, it'd be something in the ballpark of ~1500 calories/day. Appetite is such an individual effect that it's hard to apply anecdotes meaningfully, but I'm pretty skeptical of the claims that it increases appetite sharply - I think the more likely effect is a form of moral licensing.
    Well...all I can say to that is there are times I enjoy putting Mio in my water...and I can tell you if I drink multiple glasses of Mio flavored water I do feel more hungry than if I drink straight up water all day.

Artificial sweeteners trick the body that there is glucose. In response, the body releases insulin to reduce blood sugar. Since there is no extra glucose for the insulin to take care of, the insulin takes what is there. So the person will feel more tired and out of energy, so they will consume more food to feel better.
    Similar to why high fructose corn syrup is bad too. The body can't process HFCS like normal glucose, so it also causes a blood sugar crash.

This is moreso people who chain drink them. 1-2 a day most likely won't have negative repercussions if the person is eating properly.

If you are drinking diet soda with the goal to lose weight, please educate yourself. If you are drinking that or any other soda for simple flavor and enjoyment, then carry on.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

The conclusions reported about this new review are not accurate. Simple as that.

But I do think we can draw a couple of conclusions from all the available research. The first question is this – is there a health or weight disadvantage to consuming sugar? I think the answer here is a clear yes. Sugary drinks contain many calories that add to total calorie consumption and are counterproductive if your goal is calorie control for weight management. Replacing high calorie sugary drinks with low calorie drinks is therefore advantageous.

The second question is this – is there an unintended backfire effect to consuming LES (Low Energy Sweetener), because it tricks the brain into being more hungry or some other hormonal or metabolic effect? Here I think the answer is probably no, and the new Canadian review does not change this conclusion. Randomized controlled trials in humans supersede cohort studies and animal studies in addressing this question. Those studies find, if anything, a modest benefit to consuming LES. It is obviously possible to disagree about whether or not this benefit is real, given that there are inconsistencies in the data. The randomized trials clearly do not show any disadvantage – no backfire effect.
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/new...al-sweeteners/

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    If you are drinking diet soda with the goal to lose weight, please educate yourself. If you are drinking that or any other soda for simple flavor and enjoyment, then carry on.
    I drink at least a 1.5 liter bottle of Pepsi Max a day, and I've lost 10kg in a month on a diet. Come at me brah!

15+ Year Old Account
    Tsk, Club Mate > diet anything. I've had battery acid with more interesting and most certainly bearable flavour than diet coke.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    No research is bad, m'kay.

The article (and there are tons) indicates they don't even know WHY this is the case, and more research needs to be done. It's entirely possible that people taking artificial sweeteners are simply eating more, or worse, having taken the diet stuff. That doesn't mean "its bad" so much as "people are dumb". Drinking a diet soda that would have 200 calories in some peoples head means they can have 500 calories of cake later.

There's other speculation, that it changes how sugar intake occurs, and biome issues. But the fact is, they don't know, so the entire thing is sorta pointless.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

If I drank the same amount of regular soda that I do diet, it'd be something in the ballpark of ~1500 calories/day. Appetite is such an individual effect that it's hard to apply anecdotes meaningfully, but I'm pretty skeptical of the claims that it increases appetite sharply - I think the more likely effect is a form of moral licensing.
    Nah, they say sweeteners cause you to have a sugar crash because they still induce some form of insulin response which makes you hungry.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Faolain View Post
    Irrelevant. Still delicious.
    Said noone, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Whoever says that diet soda "doesn't work" is retarded.
    Its job is to taste good and quench my thirst, it fulfills both perfectly.
    Bold words (ha ha get it.). Funny that people who say stupid shit like this are usually the ones with no knowledge.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fudgeit View Post
    http://www.healthline.com/health-new...e-weight-gain#

To think this didn't make headlines. I wondrr why?
    TL-DR

"We don’t know if they’re (artificial sweeteners) a truly harmless alternative to sugar"
    "They don't help you lose weight though".
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Sugar is harmful
    The artificial sweetener industry

No, artificial sweeteners are
    The sugar industry

Free beer for everyone
    Me

10+ Year Old Account
    I rarely drink soda, but when I do... I make sure it's the real stuff.

Diet Soda tastes janky.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoria View Post
    Artificial sweeteners trick the body that there is glucose. In response, the body releases insulin to reduce blood sugar. Since there is no extra glucose for the insulin to take care of, the insulin takes what is there. So the person will feel more tired and out of energy, so they will consume more food to feel better.
    Similar to why high fructose corn syrup is bad too. The body can't process HFCS like normal glucose, so it also causes a blood sugar crash.

This is moreso people who chain drink them. 1-2 a day most likely won't have negative repercussions if the person is eating properly.
    Nicely worded

Honestly if you want to lose weight people need to start weighing the food and counting calories, the amount of empty calories inside some food and drinks (alcohol) is shocking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    This must be one o those rare moments Trump said anything I agreed with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    He is right about something? Maybe that is news? lol
    A crazy man making a thousand raving ramblings is bound to be right at least once.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.